What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Double Crimp ES 31890 Connector

red terminals

I have had inconsistent results with the red terminals. Sometimes I can pull them off the wires. On thin wires, I double fold them, and it is still not enough.

I have a nice double crimper like the article.

Is it a problem with 20 ga. wires in a 18 ga. red terminal?
Would solder help? Can you pull the cover off of the terminal to solder it?

My harnesses are all nice and have all the pins.

John

I have had inconsistent results with the red terminals. Sometimes I can pull them off the wires. On thin wires, I double fold them, and it is still not enough.

I have a nice double crimper like the article.

Is it a problem with 20 ga. wires in a 18 ga. red terminal?
Would solder help? Can you pull the cover off of the terminal to solder it?

My harnesses are all nice and have all the pins.

John

The red spade terminals are made of rather hard material. They take a very hard squeeze for the wire crimp. The strain relief takes a very light squeeze or else you will pinch the wires off.

The only wires I've had to crimp so far have been the 5 trim servo connections out by the tail. I used a marine grade ractheting crimper on the wire part, and a simple hand stripper/crimper on the insulation. Seemed to work out fine and I couldn't pull the wires out. It did take a lot of pressure to crimp the wire side - was hard to get the last click, but when I finished the crimp seemed real solid. Unless somebody says I REALLY HAVE to buy another tool, I will continue this way. BTW, the article referred to is really helpful - especially to some of us that might be tempted to use non-aviation terminals!

Thanks Marty

Martys blog has a link to the vertical power crimping datasheet.

The red dot has to go to the open end of the terminal.

I had thought the smaller die was to crimp the wire in the terminal, but use the red dot- works much better. Harbor freight has the tools for $15.00.

My wires from the AP disconnect already had pins, and the connector had black and white pigtails, so dont get frustrated if the holes in the connector are already filled.

Back