What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 30- wing install

okiejohn

When I installed my wings, top rivets in the spars scraped and dented the F-1270 side skins. I had exactly circumscribed around the 4 holes.

You might look at the width of the spar + rivets and make sure your side slots are wide enough. Also, you cannot stick the wings in perfectly straight so widening the slot a bit might be good, it seems to grab the last rivet just before it slides all the way in. Or maybe it was just my spars, but it was both of them.

I couldn't get the fuselage pins in. I noticed the stub spar had abraded the primer in the fuse sockets so I filed 0.020" off (only on the R wing) and it was ok.

Pretty amazing kit accuracy!

John

Thanks

Would you say widen both for and aft; how about height ? ? Easier to do now before I try to fit wings. 1/16" ok ?

John Bender

Probably ok

John, I think less than 1/32 fore and aft would be ok. Top and bottom seemed ok to me. If you have a dial caliper, check the spar. The rivets closest to the top wing root were proud and snagged my skin.

John,

You must be referring to the one large AN470 rivet just outboard of the ribs on the top of the spar??

I measured mine and have the same problem. Spar width at that rivet is 1.025-1.030". The opening in my side skin is about 0.980". So I am 0.050" tight. About a 1/32" fore and aft needs to be removed, at least near the top of the opening in the side skin where that one rivet enters. All else measures less than 0.980"

Did you have to trim the wing skins as the plans indicate. What kind of gap did you see between the wing skins and the side skins??

Last edited:
skin gap

I measured the skin gap as 0.090" on front and back top of both sides. I didn't crawl under, but it looked good. I was mostly trying to get the pins to go in.

Pins

The pins went in, they are still a bit tight but I didn't want to take too much off of the stub spars.

Now I'm looking for the magnets.

Should I hold off on the wiring?

The magnets were NOT in the finishing kit. They are listed on Jim Cone's MIA list. I am presuming we will ALL be receiving a care package.

clearance for spar to side skin cutout

I did a test fit of the spar to the cut out on the side skin today. I had the same interference with the top rivet that others have described. My cut out is exactly per the plans. I see three options:Notch the skin, shave the rivet, or widen the entire slot. Since there is a seal of some sort around the root of the wing skin, how tight do we really want the slot to spar clearance? In the field if you are taking the wing on and off, if the tolerances are too tight, it will create more problems than if you open them up a bit. I can forsee installing the wing under real conditions. If the wing is cocked a bit, the spar may bind and dent the skin. An engineer on paper may think .015 or .020" is enough clearance, but in practice is this really the best idea? It is probably easier to widen the skin before it is installed rather than later. Any thoughts?

Mark,

I was thinking about widening only the top of the slot on both the forward and aft sides where that rivet has to pass thru. With the wing attached, I believe it is hidden. See any problems with this or any cosmetic issues?

Mark,

I was thinking about widening only the top of the slot on both the forward and aft sides where that rivet has to pass thru. With the wing attached, I believe it is hidden. See any problems with this or any cosmetic issues?

thats what i did...looks fine. I'm surprised how much work was involved in getting the wings, spars, pins and all to fit correctly. I won't be taking them on and off alot....scratches up the side skins, the spars, my ego. I think mine will spend alot of time wings on.

Thanks for you input. I can see no cosmetic issues with widening the slots since the wing will totally cover the area. If I was going to remove the wings on a regular basis I would consider adding additional clearance on all 3 slots in the side skin. 1/16 of an inch would make the installation a lot easier and I can't see how it would adversely affect anything. For now I will just file the skin to fit around the shop head of the rivet.

I did a test fit of the spar to the cut out on the side skin today. I had the same interference with the top rivet that others have described. My cut out is exactly per the plans. I see three options:Notch the skin, shave the rivet, or widen the entire slot. Since there is a seal of some sort around the root of the wing skin, how tight do we really want the slot to spar clearance? In the field if you are taking the wing on and off, if the tolerances are too tight, it will create more problems than if you open them up a bit. I can forsee installing the wing under real conditions. If the wing is cocked a bit, the spar may bind and dent the skin. An engineer on paper may think .015 or .020" is enough clearance, but in practice is this really the best idea? It is probably easier to widen the skin before it is installed rather than later. Any thoughts?

Mark,

This is a timely issue for me now, how did you guys resolve it? How much did you open up the slot?

Back