What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-1202A-1 Instrument panel

Platyius

I have just received the replacement F-1202A-1 centre instrument panel section.
It just happens that I have an AirGizmo panel dock for the GPS and am amused at the fokes that have painted their instrument panels already because there is quite a lot of cutting to do to get the panel dock to fit snugly into the panel. It would be a lot easer to fit the dock before fixing the panel to the fuselage.

Tony

I have just received the replacement F-1202A-1 centre instrument panel section.
It just happens that I have an AirGizmo panel dock for the GPS and am amused at the fokes that have painted their instrument panels already because there is quite a lot of cutting to do to get the panel dock to fit snugly into the panel. It would be a lot easer to fit the dock before fixing the panel to the fuselage.

Tony

Maybe they are all building their RV-12's as E-LSA's which means they can not use the panel Dock.

It may or may not be appreciated by builders, but the panel was designed this way so that they did not have to pay $100 for a panel dock. The Avionics kit will come with parts that will use the quick release mount that comes standard in the box with the GPS. The unit will still be quick removable just like it is with the panel dock, it will have a clean flush mount look on the panel, and it will save builders $100.

Thanks for the info Scott! Tony had me going there for a bit- I had been admiring my newly installed ( riveted, painted ) center instrument panel, when he said we were going to have to tear them up to install the AirGizmo dock. Again thanks, Scott, you just made my day. Steve

Riveting

I am still not going to rivet it in - yet. Glad I had not before, or painted it. Now the new one is painted, but it can be riveted at any time. I feel it might be easier to fit everything on the bench, then rivet the center in. I've had enough 're-dos' thanks !

John Bender

Scott- different from the kit prototype?

Maybe they are all building their RV-12's as E-LSA's which means they can not use the panel Dock.

It may or may not be appreciated by builders, but the panel was designed this way so that they did not have to pay $100 for a panel dock. The Avionics kit will come with parts that will use the quick release mount that comes standard in the box with the GPS. The unit will still be quick removable just like it is with the panel dock, it will have a clean flush mount look on the panel, and it will save builders $100.

Scott- is this a change from the kit prototype then? When I saw it at Sun-N-Fun last year and all pictures I have seen show an AirGizmo dock.

Thanks for the info Scott! Tony had me going there for a bit- I had been admiring my newly installed ( riveted, painted ) center instrument panel, when he said we were going to have to tear them up to install the AirGizmo dock. Again thanks, Scott, you just made my day. Steve

Steve, did you paint your screws? I kinda liked the shiny gold ones.

Steve, did you paint your screws? I kinda liked the shiny gold ones.
I painted the rivet heads, but I haven't decided yet weather or not to paint the anodized phillips head srews- like you, I sort of think they look kind of cool against the flat black, krinkle finished panel. Steve

You may be right Scott, but what was wrong with the panel dock, I thought the idea of a portable GPS was just that, take it home and set up for the next trip.
I would love to know how the GPS can be portable if the mounting is behind the panel.
$100 is a very little part of the $60K plus aircraft.
Tony

The Avionics kit will come with parts that will use the quick release mount that comes standard in the box with the GPS. The unit will still be quick removable just like it is with the panel dock, it will have a clean flush mount look on the panel, and it will save builders $100.

You may be right Scott, but what was wrong with the panel dock, I thought the idea of a portable GPS was just that, take it home and set up for the next trip.
I would love to know how the GPS can be portable if the mounting is behind the panel.
Tony

Repeating what I said in my other post... The GPS will still be quick removable.
All you will have to do is push a pin through a small hole in the panel to release the GPS unit and pull it out. This will be done using the quick release mount bracket that comes in the box with the GPS. Why not use it...you will have already paid for it.

Tony

It's actually quite easy. Long before Mike created the Air Gizmo's, we had to do it the old fashioned way. Many of us are now spoiled with the technology of the Gizmos that some think there is no other way, but it's really quite easy to mount them without a Gizmo, and they are just as easy to pop out as with the panel dock's.

It may only be a hundred bucks, but keep adding those hundreds and it doesn't take many of them to make thousands.

I'm not pro or anti gizmo either way, just pointing out that it can be done...and that every penny counts!

Cheers,
Stein

4YU2.jpg

Here is the "official" Van's picture. Note that it is a one piece design (it looks like the current kits are 3 panels) and that it uses the Gizmo dock.

12_%20panel_lg.jpg

I'm just not crazy about the idea of riveting the center panel in. I'm gonna use screws & install 6 nut plates. The above picture has screws in the center portion, single piece panel. Why would a 3 piece panel be any different? The print calls out the little weak 3 pull rivets. Screws will be easily removable, look better on the panel, and much more structurally sound. I think a little common sense goes along way.

No DAR would ever notice........ except Mel!

Last edited:
I discussed the rivets for the center panel with Van's awhile back. They gave me the OK to use solid rivets in place of the pulled rivets. They wouldn't approve the use of any screws. I do like the idea of being able to easily remove the center panel.

on the other hand..

I think it was nice that they made the panel 3 piece. I was frustrated by the riveted on center section, untill I realized that a bigger GPS wouldn't fit there anyway.

I think Vans doesn't want us pulling the carb and choke cables all the time. Us slob builders are used to drilling out rivets :)

I think they want it really safe (as it's a certificated aircraft) so they make us get XM weather, etc. .

On the tool list page, they now have a list of supplies (flox, epoxy, etc.) Does Jim Cone or anybody know the cheap source?

Also, what thread sealant is best for the brakes and gas lines?

F-1202A-1 nut plates

I am fabricating a one piece panel for an RV-12 EAB builder.

On the original F1202A center section, there are holes for two nut plates on the lower 3/4" flange.

What are these nut plates for?

Back