What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Discoat 4220 Issues

goatflieg

Well Known Member
Based on recommendations here, I bought some Discoat 4220 protective coating to coat the inside of the canopy during fabrication. The product didn't appear as expected; syrupy and almost lumpy, as though maybe some separation had occurred... but shaking didn't seem to change anything, and there was no mention of shaking in the instructions, which indicated that the product could be applied with spin coating, spraying, rolling or immersion. Following the instructions, I rolled on the first coat, and checked it after the stated cure time of ten minutes; it hadn't cured yet, so I gave it another hour. I applied three more coats, one hour apart, and left it to cure overnight. This morning I saw that it had settled into the bottom of the canopy in a small pool, and instead of being set up, it was gooey... very gooey. On the sides it appeared to cure ok, but the center is this goo that doesn't appear to want to set completely. I gingerly set some paper towel in the pool, and it soaked into the paper towel. Is this normal? Will it just require additional cure time... or did I get an expired product? No expiration date is listed on the container; the remaining residue in the bottom of the rolling tray was also gooey. I'll contact Discoat during business hours... but I can't work with the canopy until this goo is either set up or dealt with. Any advice would be appreciated.
ACtC-3esFClgKxvCCY6goNvbEEbx4375dz4BYR9Vp0O40hysIyf76qdE1RRN2z4c4eLNP_ziEm_2uk_9m6WAdgCziaOgBjObuFtHGz3I_tOr2pc4ukrxHHZ1qnER_2CJjm-fc1E-EMOS45Rm8ogtyzU5qxSK=w900-h600

ACtC-3cefNOSIoaD5dns26WUhFPPO7MlNEVbRXgStKkJSbRGvh2cZDImMIR0n_YtoJFSyjYKNOY--HIP1XAw-whsog_wpSZnaVJkdCpit-3s_VE0LaYU2-DCCu_9uYJTRoJV1Zxp2U_QOM87qdfu9ENst3ZB=w900-h600

Last edited:
No additional comments?

Martin,
I have been following your progress on the use of this Discoat 4220 product as I was wanting to use it too. I noticed that you just removed it from the inside of your canopy and moved on - but never mentioned anything else about it. I guess it was just unsat and you are moving on? Bummer.

Back