What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lower than desired static rpm

N208ET

Well Known Member
I?m trying to figure out if my engine is producing full power. When I originally installed my engine (I bought it off of eBay, was said to be rebuilt and was confirmed upon tearing the engine down) it had come off a old travelair. It?s a 1950?s vintage 0-360 that started out with bendix magnetos and standard 8.5 to 1 compression. With the FP Sensenich it would turn at static around 2050 WOT. With all the fairings on and everything as true as I wanted, it would produce around 200 mph.

I later decided to put on a Catto 3 blade for the heck of it, static rpm was the same, top speed was the same. Next came trading out a bendix mag for a Emag, again for the heck of it. Static increase maybe 20-30 rpm.

I ended up having a pretty serious engine issue, wrist pin plug disintegrated and started to take the piston with it. The engine was rebuilt and I installed new port and polished millennium cylinders and put in 9.5 to 1 pistons. I replaced the other mag so now I?m running dual P Mags, and the static is still around 2050. I?m I being unrealistic or does it sound like things aren?t developing full power?

Randy
8A
0-360 3 blade Catto, 9.5 to 1, dual P Mags

Back