What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHT & EGT Rotary Switch

EB1JR

Looking for some advice on what would be a compatable switch for Van's CHT and EGT gauges. Appreciate some input.
Thanks, Ed.

Don't

My, perhaps unhelpful advice, is don't go that route - use an engine monitor that displays all the CHTs & EGTs all the time. This information is too important not to have it available all together. You get what you pay for, in my experience Van's gauges are a little cheap and not that accurate or reliable.

Pete

rotary switch

If it's not to late for your panel I'd consider the Grand Rapids EIS in lieu of Vans gauges. If you total all the gauges, switch , probes transducers etc. you'll probably find as I did that it is not much cheaper if not more expensive to go with Vans stuff. The GR EIS works fabulously and is very easy to install. I love mine.

Jon Thocker N973JT RV6A, N952JT RV4, N831JT RV4

Cost isn't the whole reason, either. If you think about it, you have to LOOK at gauges, and I'll bet most of us have gone for quite a bit of time without even thinking of checking engine instruments. They never seem to change much, do they, so why worry about them? ;)

With engine monitors like the Rocky Mountain, or Grand Rapids EIS, and others, flying is much safer because all of these types of monitors have programmable alarms which are a lot more useful than a passive gauge just sitting waiting to be looked at.

Even if you want to use all standard engine gauges, it would still be a wise idea to install active alarm indicators for at least the important basics like voltage (hi AND lo) and the liquid pressures and temps.
But with EIS monitors, you can set alarm limits for anything which can be quite useful.

Back