What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New guy here

Hello everyone. I don't know if this is the correct forum for an intro. If not please let me know and I will delete/move this thread. I have not built nor am I building an RV. Frankly I just don't feel the desire to do so and I have a lot of other irons in the fire. I am however looking to buy an RV-7 or perhaps an RV-6. I just want to make sure I am asking the right questions so that the purchase and use is a pleasant experience. If anyone has some ideas on threads that would help, or knows of any resources/expertise I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Tal, where to begin? I've just started looking. Because Van's RV's are so popular there are a number of good looking planes on Tradeaplane, Controller, etc. What questions should I start with? The first I've been told is "Do you really own this airplane"? I don't want to rake anyone over the coals, but that's a good question. The rest are has the airplane been built/modified to comply with all AD's and service bulletins? What else after that? Are there resources such as mechanics with RV experience on this forum who would be willing to help me with a prepurchase inspection? What about difficulties with insurance? I have heavy tailwheel experience from back in the day as a young pup (left seat Beech 18,right seat DC-3) but virtually no single engine time. Will this be an issue? How to get around it and an agent/broker who might help? I'm going to stop there because I'm rambling and could go on for a while. I quess I'm just looking for a direction to find some info. Thanks again for responding.

Welcome to VAF

First off, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Next-----you need to define your mission so you can get the correct airplane.

Tandem or side-by-side seating?

Aerobatics??

IFR/IFR ?

Steam gauges/glass panel ?

Lots more, but the more items you can come up with, the better to find the correct plane for your needs.

Last edited:
I was exactly there two years ago. After decades in certified airplanes, I decided I wanted something that had better performance, newer, more fun, and more cost efficient. Knew nothing about experimental, was hooked. For me, a Van’s RV-something was a no-brainer given its reputation and history. I decided that a 7A or 9A was my goal. Very unimpressed with the Controller or Barnstormers experience, put a WTB ad here and on the EAA forums. Got a LOT of “well…I haven’t listed this anywhere but I would be interested in selling my RV-something”. Some really great planes but the one that sounded best was a beautiful and meticulous RV-9A instrument-capable glass panel. My RV guru (father of a friend) steered the process, vetted the plane, we flew down 4.5 hours, inspected it, I bought it, and flew it home. That process took about 3 weeks. What a transformative aviation experience!

I had NO interest in building and no interest in heavy maintenance…all of that stuff is done by my A&P. NO interest in tailwheel. Insurance was straightforward…Leah Ringeisen at Gallagher steered the process (broker)…cost is about $1400/year (went down this year). My buddy did the transition training. Insurance wanted 2 hours. My CFI signed off after 4 or 5 (I hadn’t flown in years), but I flew a lot with him beyond that and he made me a far better pilot, commensurate (almost) with this far-better airplane.

My advice…find an RV guru to hand hold you though the initial steps of this rather tricky process. DM me if I can be of further help. We can talk on the phone if you want.

Last edited:
Since you have previous Tailwheel time, and the fact that you brought that up makes me think you are inter in a Tailwheel model (The non -a versions). A -3 is a single seater, the -4 is the two seat version, the -8 is the bigger brother to the -4.. I feel the -4 flies better than the -8, but the -8 is roomier, more panel space for instruments, has a forward baggage compartment for more CG options. It’s a better X county option.
As for the side by sides, the 6 and 7 are almost the same, with the -7 being the newer version (I feel the -6 flies better.. more nimble IMO) and the -14 is the bigger brother, with huge baggage area behind the pilots.

Your size may determine which RV fits you best, as well as your flying style, and if your significant other doesn’t mind staring at the back of your head.. I love the -4, but wouldn’t mind an -8 or one of the Side by Side versions..

Questions

In addituon to the comments already posted, I would ask a few other questions.
The obvious stuff. Engine, prop, avionics, etc.
Logs?
Who built it?
Any mods?
Is there a Builder Log?

I've been in your position. What helped me the most was finding someone in my area who is very familiar with RVs and in a position to do a good pre-buy inspection.

My experience: Most local RV pilots (I happened to know a few) recommended this one guy, an A&P and CFI who had built multiple RVs for himself and helped on countless builds and upgrades and repairs. I was thinking of buying a certain RV-6 that was for sale in our area, I had visited it and it looked ok, so I asked this A&P to do a pre-buy. After the pre-buy, he spent half an hour telling me about all the little details that were worrisome on that airplane. So I was like "Ok, this guy is clearly a good resource". The next time I asked him to look at an airplane, it got his enthusiastic approval, so I bought it. I got transition training from him, condition inspections ("annuals"), and some repairs and mods; Gradually, over time, I became comfortable doing more of that kind of stuff myself.

So, if you can find an A&P in your area who has built an RV (I would say, an RV-3 through RV-9, because starting with the 10, building it becomes easier and more fool-proof in at least a few important ways), that would probably be a good way to make sure you get a safe airplane.

Thanks Bernardo. I am just in the beginning stages. Right now recovering from hip repalacement but once that's done I'll get into looking harder. I need to find a group in my area (Around Columbus, MT. I'm guessing that Billings may have a homebuilt group) that can help. If anyone has any suggestions for this area it would be greatly appreciated. I've pretty much settled on an RV-7, perhaps a 6. The wife would prefer a side by side and we would like to use it for travel and exploration. Tail wheel preferred because I have 2300 feet of grass strip at my house and I can see us going to some more remote strips in Montana and Idaho. I have tail wheel time, but from long ago. Not too worried about that though. I'm not thinking much about aerobatics right now. If I were to get the itch, I would definitely look more towards an RV-8. And at this age, any acro would be "gentlemanly". Let's just cut my teeth on a nice traveling airplane for now. I have looked at 182's even 210's. Familiar with both, but they are just not tripping my trigger. I like what Van's has to offer. Just not inclined to build.

Thanks Mac. Great advice. I think we are on the same page as far as building etc. I just want to fly it and RV's offer so much more than Cessna, Piper, etc. I may dm you soon enough.

Tom, thanks again for the advice. The wife and I, although "bigger" than on our wedding day 36 years ago are not big folks. Total between us, 320 ish. So I think we can fit into just about any RV. We're pretty set on a side by side. I don't think she would like the tandem. I have 2300 feet in my back yard for an airstrip. I bought here almost 30 years ago with that in mind, sadly life happened. Now I am going to make the airstrip happen. So, yes I would prefer tail wheel. As I said, I have a fair amount of tail wheel time, it was just quite some time ago. Not too worried about that though. I've looked at 182's and 210's as I am familiar with them as well. They are just not tripping my trigger. An RV, though smaller, offers so much more as far as short takeoff, landing and speed for cross country. Pretty much set on a side by side RV. Just need to do more research. If you or anyone else knows some builders/ owners in the Billings, MT area please let me know.

Lots of choices out there, Cessna 210 will need all of your runway and they are maintenance hogs. I’ve owned 2 of them over the years and I’m not going back.
Tailwheel 6 or 7’s are good choices if the strip is a little rough or you just love the look…..they do look a wee bit nicer in my opinion. If you have a nice grass strip then an A is also an option as you can get off quicker and land shorter but at 2300 feet that’s lots of room. A constant speed prop is a nice thing to have, in my opinion. Depending on your budget it’s usually not a bad idea to pay a bit more and get a modern glass panel. Canopies are either tip up or sliders and each has there proponents…I prefer the slider. Generally the 7’s tend to have 180hp and the 6’s 150/160 or 180hp. The extra power helps in takeoff and climb a lot plus they usually are faster as well. I have a 6A with an injected IO-320 with constant speed and it is a wonderful performer, I can usually get off and out climb a 6 or 7 with 180hp and fixed pitch prop. Very good on fuel as well as with GAMI type injectors it can fly lean of peak and burn 6.8 gph at higher altitudes.
A really nice 6 or 7 isn’t dirt cheap but when you compare the performance package against almost anything else they are still absolute bargains.
Good luck in your search.

Everything Robert said above, plus another reason to go with the CS prop is the shorter landing ability. Sure you can land a fixed pitch in 2300 feet, but throw in some obstacles on the approach, a little too much speed, or a bounce, the CS prop really helps slow down and you won’t even need to use the brakes. I wouldn’t consider an -A model unless the grass is really really smooth..

Welcome Dan nice to have you here. You can't go wrong with any RV. Training or tail wheel doesn't matter much just personal preference. One of my good buddies after a couple of drinks always tells me the tailwheel is a real airplane. But he never accepts a competition challenge :D

Barter%20Island1%20-%201.jpg

I have friends (Special K Ranch) just west of Billings close to Walterman. We land on the road by the ranch.

Special_K_Ranch_-_1.jpeg

Special_K_Ranch_-_1_(1).jpeg

Dan, I’m in Montana and am willing to discuss RV ownership if you’d like. I built an RV-7 and helped helped build a RanS-6. I was a low time pilot when I built. My RV-7 has been flying sine 2010. I have a simple VFR but have been across the US in it without any issues or worries.
Lots of little details go in to each aircraft, so shopping for one can be tricky. What looks good may not be what fits your mission.
Have you flown or even sat in an RV? What are you wanting in your ideal plane? Budget? Award winning Show plane?

Let me know if you want to talk or get together.
Brian Carroll
Marion, MT
CabinCreek Landing (97MT)

Thanks Mike. The mission parameters are: Side by side pretty much a must, I don't think the wife would like the tandem cockpit. Aerobatics? Gentlemanly at most, so not a priority at this point. Maybe after some experience in an RV I would consider a tandem, say an 8. IFR/VFR? I would like to use the plane for cross country flights, but if the weather is bad, a hotel is fine. I live in Montana. If the weather is bad it means either thunderstorms or ice. I've flown light planes in crappy weather. Not that much fun. I fly glass in my job, but I grew up on steam gauges. I'd be fine with either. So with these items in mind I'm pretty certain that an RV-7 or perhaps a 6 would fit the bill.

Tom, thanks again. I've looked at several RV's on TradeAplane, a few with CS props and some with fixed pitch. Had already decided the CS is a must for the type of flying I can see doing. One had a Sensenich ground adjustable. Sounds ok....but I don't know how long the adjustment takes and I don't think I want to fly into an Idaho fishing strip at cruise pitch then have to adjust to climb pitch for the takeoff just to make sure I have the performance. I'd rather just push the propeller knob full forward.

I agree with the value of a C/S prop. For me, I most appreciate how much easier it is to manage airspeed coming into the pattern. I don’t have to start descent and airspeed management nearly so far out as other low-drag airplanes usually do.

Brian, thanks for the offer to talk! That would be fantastic! No, I've seen some RV's on the ramp but have never flown in one, nor even sat in one. I'd love to pick your brain for sure. I'm recovering from hip replacement right now, but when I'm back to flying I'll give you a buzz (pm). Because of my hip issue I did not cut the airstrip this summer. Now it is way to dry to even consider it. Otherwise I would say you are welcome to drop in sometime. Maybe next spring. Or if you are flying by Columbus (6S3) let me know.

EAA

One thing I have not seen mentioned is finding an EAA chapter. They may be few and far between in MT, but there will be some. EAA.org can help you with locating the nearest chapter to you. My chapter (1379 - Green Cove Springs, FL) is an unbelievable wealth of knowledge and willingness to help. Of course, YMMV, as any chapter is only as good as it’s members, but overall, they’re very good. Give it a try - you might be very pleased at what you find.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is finding an EAA chapter. They may be few and far between in MT, but there will be some. EAA.org can help you with locating the nearest chapter to you. My chapter (1379 - Green Cove Springs, FL) is an unbelievable wealth of knowledge and willingness to help. Of course, YMMV, as any chapter is only as good as it’s members, but overall, they’re very good. Give it a try - you might be very pleased at what you find.

OP should check in with Headwaters EAA chapter in Three Forks, about 100 miles west of him....see if they have anything to make the drive worthwhile. Maybe they have some RV's flying with them. It's highly variable among chapters. I'm a member of two EAA chapters...no one in either club has even flown in an RV. There's some very active RV folks about 120 miles south of here...hard to get down for a meeting.

https://headwaterseaa.com/

Sam, thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.

Sam and Mac, I just checked EAA.org. EAA chapter 57 is in Billings. They have a hangar at Billings Logan Airport. That is the closest to me and I'm in Billings all the time. I will contact the president and ask about joining. Thanks for the advice again!

OP should check in with Headwaters EAA chapter in Three Forks, about 100 miles west of him....see if they have anything to make the drive worthwhile. Maybe they have some RV's flying with them. It's highly variable among chapters. I'm a member of two EAA chapters...no one in either club has even flown in an RV. There's some very active RV folks about 120 miles south of here...hard to get down for a meeting.

https://headwaterseaa.com/

Mac, I just checked the EAA57 web page. There is someone in Columbus MT (S63) with an RV-7A. I'll see if I can contact him, buy him breakfast and look at his airplane.

difference between RV-6 and 7

Hello all. I finally was able to see a brand new RV-7 yesterday. Thanks to Steve Noneman at Columbus Montana (6S3) for showing me around and answering my questions. I do have a few more to ask him but I'll ask here as well. What are the specific differences between an RV-6 and RV-7? I know the gross weight is increased by 200 pounds, but is the wing stronger to carry the load, landing gear stronger, etc? Both seem to be powered by similar engines, 180 hp O-360, same props etc. Enquiring mind..... thanks.

What are the specific differences between an RV-6 and RV-7?

Like Carl wrote, there are plenty of threads that answer that question: The RV-7 has a bigger rudder, more wing area, a little more headroom (which I think comes from the seat having been lowered), stronger gear, and structural strengthening for more weight and more power.

What most of these threads miss is the fact that they are built very differently. Building an RV-6 requires first building a jig. The parts come with few or no holes; The holes are drilled by the builder. An RV-7 already comes with holes, so it's self-jigging, and all the holes are exactly where the engineers intended them, in the right place, evenly spaced, in straight lines (or not, as the case may be). In short: There is a lot of variability in RV-6 build quality, not so much in the RV-7. All RV-7s are "straight". In many ways, the RV-6 is more of a "hand-crafted" airplane while the RV-7 is closer to a standardized manufactured industrial product. (And yes, the newer RVs even more so, to the point where a homebuilt RV-12 can be registered as E-LSA with the manufacturer listed on the registration as "Van's Aircraft").

Last edited:
thanks for the info

Thanks Carl and Aero. As a matter of fact I did some Google searching and found those articles as well as some stuff on the VAF forums. Thanks for the input!

Don't forget about the RV9

When I bought my 7A, I had a very specific configuration that I was looking for.

I wanted:
a tip up canopy for the unobstructed view from the cockpit.

a CS prop for obvious reasons

a 7 instead of a 6 for the larger tail, though I wasn't closed to a 6 if I found the right one.

Injected, 180 HP. (my Titan has 188 on the dyno)

I was less concerned with avionics. This combination didn't come up very often. I love my plane. It is all steam gauges, which may be a project soon enough, but they are what I am comfortable with for now.

I didn't consider a 9 because I am definitely interested in exploring gentleman's aerobatics.

I had a great conversation with Allan Nimmo of AntiSplat Aero the other day.
In his opinion, the RV9 has a much better airfoil than the 6/7. He gets a very high and efficient cruise speed and lands incredibly slow. He analyzed carefully how things fit and put his 9A together a bit differently than intended. The result, according to him, is a plane that cruises at 220 MPH on 7.5 GPH, or something like that, if it is inherently a bit less stable than a typical 9.
He did mention that due to the low speed lift performance of the 9 wing, that an A model is better than a TD, because when you drop the tail on landing, the wing wants to fly again unless you are really slow. Tough for crosswinds, he mentioned.
His performance numbers sound pretty incredible. Those aren't numbers for most stock 9s, of course, but pirate, if you are not planing aerobatics, the 9 might open up some good options for you. I have seen some nice ones.
A thorough pre-buy is essential. Get Vic Syracuse's book and read it.
There are myriad details to these builds and everyone of them is a little bit of an original.

thanks

Tom,

Thanks for the info about the -9. Sounds great but like you I would like to partake of some "gentlemen's" aerobatics myself as well. I too grew up on steam gauges and am not frightened by them, nor glass. Either one will do. 180 hp and CS prop are also a must. Canopy, not quite as picky. I have never heard of Vic Syracuse's book, but I will definately look it up. Thanks again!

Dan

question for tail dragger experts

Hey everyone,

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I have a "fair" amount of taildragger time from WAY BACK in the day. Exclusively in heavier twins such as the Beech 18 and DC-3. The twin Beech was almost always empty when landing as I was flying jumpers and they had "left the building" so to speak. Dc-3's were sometimes empty, sometimes not. But we almost always (strike that, always) wheel landed and never 3 pointed the landing. From what Tom just wrote about the RV-9 being difficult to land in a crosswind because of the angle of attack causing increased lift and a balloon, does anyone land an RV with a wheel landing? I know it will use more runway as the speed is going to be higher, but if this is the way to combat a crosswind it would make sense to me. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan

Hey everyone,

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I have a "fair" amount of taildragger time from WAY BACK in the day. Exclusively in heavier twins such as the Beech 18 and DC-3. The twin Beech was almost always empty when landing as I was flying jumpers and they had "left the building" so to speak. Dc-3's were sometimes empty, sometimes not. But we almost always (strike that, always) wheel landed and never 3 pointed the landing. From what Tom just wrote about the RV-9 being difficult to land in a crosswind because of the angle of attack causing increased lift and a balloon, does anyone land an RV with a wheel landing? I know it will use more runway as the speed is going to be higher, but if this is the way to combat a crosswind it would make sense to me. Please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan

On black top runways, I always wheel land or as Carl said a tail low wheel landing.

On grass, 3 point is normally what I do. Even in a cross wind you can crab it until just before brushing the grass.

I had a great conversation with Allan Nimmo of AntiSplat Aero the other day....He analyzed carefully how things fit and put his 9A together a bit differently than intended. The result, according to him, is a plane that cruises at 220 MPH on 7.5 GPH, or something like that, if it is inherently a bit less stable than a typical 9.

A nosewheel 9 cruising at 191 knots on 7.5 is quite impressive. You sure that's what Allen said?

yup

A nosewheel 9 cruising at 191 knots on 7.5 is quite impressive. You sure that's what Allen said?

Pretty sure. I know. Very impressive. He said he micro-adjusted (my paraphrase) the attach angles of the wings and empennage to the fuselage to create less drag, and less inherent stability (he likened it to toe-in, in a car)
And it resulted in a much more slippery aircraft. He reminded me that hp helps most in take-off and climb, but low drag is the king for cruise speed.

Carl and F1,

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll figure it out in time. I'll read the articles also. I am still 95% certain that I want a taildragger. That being said, if a nose dragger came along that met ALL my other criteria I would certainly take a look at it.

Thanks again,
Dan

Getting in and out of an RV

Ok folks. Thanks for all the advice. Looking closely and gathering info. Likely to be ready to pull the trigger on a purchase in the spring.

So after we looked at a very nice, brand new -7A in Columbus, MT the wife was concerned about entry/exit. At the time the builder was still doing flight testing and had ballast in the right seat so we could not sit in the airplane. Had the opportunity to do so yesterday and sure enough she was right. Getting in was ok, getting out was a problem. She has had both shoulders replaced. No pain in either one now...good thing. Right side has good mobility, left side not so much.

So, you can probably see where this is going. She could not reach up with her left hand to grasp the vertical bar of the front windscreen. Hmmmm.... Eventually she kind of rolled to the left and made her way up on the seat to exit out the left side. Doable, just not expected.

Is there any kind of handle to attach to the vertical bar to basically make a lower handle for ingress/egress. I would think that because this would basically just be a clamp on type of item, a homemade handle would work and not do anything to change the structure. But, has anyone seen something like this?

I talked to her about how taildragger will not have the gear structure to step on and she said that really didn't help nor hinder so I don't think that's an issue.

Sorry so long, just trying to keep the better half happy so we can use the airplane together.

Dan

Easy Exit Bar makes ALL the difference regarding shoulder strength and mobility issues for getting out of an RV.

Additionally, many RV’s (sliders, at least) have a hand-hold welded onto the windshield frame in front of each seat. Or they can be added aftermarket. I’m bone-on-bone in the left shoulder….I’ve never had use the vertical bar as any kind of handhold, wouldn’t have even thought of it.

Last edited:
Thanks Mac. She isn't having a problem getting up on the wing, nor getting into the airplane. It's getting out that's the problem. What is the "easy exit bar"? I'll look into it.

Sadly, we ain't gettin' any younger!

changing out fixed pitch

Ok everyone, I've been looking at Trade a plane, barnstormers etc for an RV-7 or 6. There have been some nice ones, a lot of 7A's or 6A's and I'm looking for a tailwheel. Some of the taildraggers looked good, but they had fixed pitch props. Even with IO-360's mind you. So the question is, is it possible and how much hassle and expense would it be to upgrade an IO-360 to CS? Or should I just keep looking for that perfect RV-7 with the bells and whistles that I want?

Dan,

Rough estimate,

Prop
Prop governed
Prop cable
Spinner + backplate

And engine will have to have hollow crank
That is plugged.

Boomer

Aircraft Extras sells a center console that I installed in my RV7A that I swear by for help me get my big fat a** out of the airplane. Not sure if will help someone who’s had both shoulder’s replaced but it, combined with Antisplat’s easy out bar should help.

Thanks!

A wannabe here, lurking and learning. just want to thank you guys for your amazing willingness to reply and share your knowledge it's awesome and helpful to more than just the OP.
Thanks again!

Thanks Jim. Still looking and my heart is set on a Vans RV7 or 6. Nothing else is tripping my trigger so I'm going to figure out the egress problem for the wife. I'll take a look at the console

Bruce,

The airplane in question is running an O360-A1A. Lycomings website says it can take a prop governor on the rear of the engine. Are you saying the engine will have to be torn down just to remove the plug, or is this a reasonable thing to do to get it to accept the CS prop vice the FP. Gotta say I don't have a clue. Thanks.

Dan,

The engine has to have a hollow crank.
10 minutes to get plug out.

Boomer

Back