What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground testing on battery

tomkk

Well Known Member
I thought I remembered reading something about this but can't seem to find the thread now. During setup and ground test of the electronics on the battery is it best to keep the charger on the battery or leave it off and recharge when done or does it matter?

I don't remember a thread about this but I did do all my ground testing with the battery charger running when the SV was on. My charger is nothing but a 13.8V high-current power supply, so no trickle charge logic or anything fancy, just a stable 13.8V power source.

I do not think it matters as long as the battery is not discharged too low. I connect a trickle charger before turning on electronics and leave the charger on afterwards until the green CHARGED light comes on.

Keep in mind that if you don't keep the battery on a charger during ground use, the battery voltage will drop some, and repeatedly doing this could cause sulfation where the battery will not charge fully during use, possibly reducing the life of your battery... Ask me how I know. ;)

Good luck.

Back