What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What next?

Engine next. Avionics last. The engine will take more time to install and while doing that, the avionics will change and be improved upon before you purchase them.

Avionic first then engine last

Was wrestling with same question this year. An RV builder who is flying said, "The engine doesn't want to sit around while you finish the airplane. Avionics will be out of date shortly after you buy them anyway. Buy your engine last when you're within a year of flying relative to other parts."

When it comes to building sequence, Vans knows best: follow the instructions. Some builders have deviate with success but keep in mind that the VANs recommended sequence has been tested by many more builders than the variations so in case of problems you will get more help being main stream.
Updates of avionics will never be as disruptive as the switch from D100 to Skyview which Vans handled pretty well nevertheless (I know, I was there). When working on the Avionics shelf, the access from the firewall is easier without the engine.

Ready for the next step, what makes more sense, engine or avionics next?

Installing the avionics (if it works and you are not chasing bugs) should take you about a week (next to regular daytime work), so it really is the subkit with the least amount of work. The engine installation is fairly quick too, if it wasn't for the cowling work.
I don't think it matters much which one you pick next but if you want to spread out these sticker-shock items more evenly then I'd suggest to get the engine first as it will take you about 2 months (if you are a working man) to get it all installed before you really need another subkit.

Back