What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B

bob1393

My partner and I are working on the fuselage kit now, so we have not yet ordered the avionics package. We would like to know more about the ADS-B option, as it is a relatively expensive option. We understand that the ADS-B provides traffic and weather, however, the Dynon Skyview also provides traffic info. For those of you who have it in your RV12, are you happy with it and think it was worth the price? If you had a chance to do it over, would you still get it? For those who did not purchase it, are you sorry now that you didn't or are you quite satisfied without it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Wait until you have nearly finished the airframe before you buy avionics.
I made the mistake of buying too early, my radios are obsolete and the company is gone.
ADS-B and Next Gen are constantly evolving, and are not on schedule to be complete by the 2020 mandate, so you have plenty of time to search about it on the internet, and follow comments about it on aviation forums like this before you need to lay out any $.
Office of Inspector General's audit report:
https://www.oig.dot.gov/sites/default/files/FAA ADS-B Program Audit Report^9-11-14.pdf

Last edited:
Buy avionics as late as possible. I bought my panel 12 months before flight and was quickly two generations outdated. Those two generations have some very cool stuff in them.....

I agree that it is best to wait until the very last to order avionics. Although I do not yet have ADS-B, I intend to purchase it, not to comply with government regulations, but to be able to see other traffic. ATC can not be depended on to point out all traffic. Even when ATC does give a traffic advisory, quite often I do not see the traffic. The see and avoid concept is based on slow aircraft of yesteryear. At the rate of closure of modern aircraft on a collision course, pilots have about 10 seconds from the time they are able to see a threat until impact. Have you ever looked at a chart or EFIS or scenery for 10 seconds? Even if a threat is recognized, it takes time for the pilot to react and more time for the plane to change course. Having a picture via ADS-B of nearby traffic could be a lifesaver.

I love the ADS-B combined with the skyview. The traffic is very useful and I'd have trouble flying without it now. The weather is great too but less helpful here in Az.
I'm not sure these units will be compliant based on the current guidelines but I am studying it. From what I'm understanding there may need to be a TSO'd GPS input.

I have ADS-B in my S-LSA RV12. It works great. I fly in some of the most congested airspace in the USA and I have been doing that for a lot of years. But I never before saw as much traffic as I do now. I was used to Approach of Flight Watch calling out traffic that I never saw and a few times I came close to a collision with traffic that the FAA didn't mention. The ADS-B in the RV12 lets me see that traffic and it's sometimes scary how much there is.

The only complaint I have with the ADS-B traffic in the bird is that it sometimes shows threatening traffic right under the airplane when you fly within about 500 feet a mountain top. I spent some anxious moments doing mild wifferdills looking for traffic under me that wasn't there until I got use to that.

Yesterday I was flying low along the beach off La Jolla and Del Mar. That is under heavy jet military traffic from USMC Miramar and airliners from Lindbergh Field. But I was under the class B so there was no threat. But the USMC has many helos out of Camp Pendleton and they fly low over the beach too. I saw all of them and also other guys looking for Grey Whales off the beach......a popular flight this time of year and there are charter flights for people who come here to see that.

It probably would be worth your time to look at the Dynon pages on how the traffic is displayed and called out on Skyview.....it's very good: Basically you see all the traffic within many miles with altitude, vectors and climb or decent rate. If that traffic becomes a threat the little lady says "traffic" and the threatening airplane is shown on both the moving map and the PFD as a yellow ball instead of as a vector.

The ADS-B also shows WX and when we had a rare rainstorm here a few days ago I was able to display a shower and go catch it for a fresh water wash down:)

EBB

The Skyview will not show traffic or weather without the ADSB receiver.
It will display traffic without the ADSB via TIS, but it will be less complete than what you get with the ADSB. To the OP: if possible, at least install the antenna cable as you build as it will be much more difficult to do once the plane is done.

Just a reminder: none of these systems show all traffic. Keep looking, too.

Yes, under the current rules, to be compliant after 2020 will require a TSO'd gps feeding the mode S transponder.

There is a very famous beach in that area. I won't ask what prompted you to fly low?:cool:

For those who don't know about that as Dave does :)...the famous beach is Black's Beach where all the skinny dipping used to go on around here. unfortunately for us low flying guys the Grey Whales are off shore now and the Pink Whales are on the beach. I'll let you envision that.:)

We used to have the Andy Williams San Diego Open golf tournament at Torrey Pines which is at the top of the 200 foot cliffs over Blacks Beach every February. Because Miramar Naval Air Station is about five miles inland and because the Navy jets would disrupt the game we always hired the Goodyear Blimp to fly over the course so the jets had to turn north away from there. But we always also put a big TV camera with a large zoom lens on it to get those famous shots from above of Arnold Palmer putting out. But to line up the circuit for the networks days in advance we always had the Blimp go out over the beach and line up the TV shot by zooming in on the nice young ladies from UCSD who liked to bare themselves down there. You could set your watch for 6 hours from the time that picture hit ABC TV in New York where it was always about 30F at which time there would be a plane load of TV "executives" showing up wondering there that beach was/is.

We had some guys who managed those TV shows here and I know some of them saved the tapes! Some of those nice your ladies are now at least 55- 60 years old and I think we need to hire a hall and show those shots to them and their grand children....NOT:)

EBB

Buy avionics as late as possible. I bought my panel 12 months before flight and was quickly two generations outdated. Those two generations have some very cool stuff in them.....

AMEN to this advice. You should start looking and comparing systems starting today but do not buy anything until the absolute last minute. Otherwise you can be caught with equipment that won't fill your needs and you can't get rid of. Caveat emptor!

My 2 cents.

:cool:

Dynon says mine will pick up ALL traffic (if it can be seen on a radar). What traffic do you think it will not pick up?

Yes, under the current rules, to be compliant after 2020 will require a TSO'd gps feeding the mode S transponder.

Dynon says mine will pick up ALL traffic (if it can be seen on a radar). What traffic do you think it will not pick up?

1. As noted, aircraft that do not show up on radar won't be seen, e.g., no transponder aircraft.
Otherwise:
2. You'll see aircraft from mode S TIS where available. But coverage is spotty.
3. You will see aircraft on ADSB-in, but only if (a) they have ADSB-out, or (b) you have ADSB-out, or (c) someone else close by has ADSB-out. The ground stations only send up traffic info to aircraft they know about because you are sending an - out signal. This is the expensive part since the transmitter and gps have to meet a whole bunch of standards.

The Trig units (Dynon, Garmin 23ES and others) will "light up" the ground stations even with their currently uncertified GPS sources which is legal until 2020. So a Dynon system with the mode S xpdr and ADS-B receiver will receive all traffic available.

That agrees with what I had been led to believe from Dynon. If I recall correctly, the old Piper Cub with no electrical system or transponder with altitude encoding, will show up just fine, but I will have to "guess" at its altitude.
The Trig units (Dynon, Garmin 23ES and others) will "light up" the ground stations even with their currently uncertified GPS sources which is legal until 2020. So a Dynon system with the mode S xpdr and ADS-B receiver will receive all traffic available.

There was a recent thread on ADS that discussed how the Dynon ADS-B Out does not meet the TSO in 2020. You might want to consider a TSO'd unit although they are more expensive. I put a TSO'd Freeflight XVR-978 system in my RV-12, and I love it.

That agrees with what I had been led to believe from Dynon. If I recall correctly, the old Piper Cub with no electrical system or transponder with altitude encoding, will show up just fine, but I will have to "guess" at its altitude.

Without an electrical system, this old cub would need a battery powered transponder to show up.

There was a recent thread on ADS that discussed how the Dynon ADS-B Out does not meet the TSO in 2020. You might want to consider a TSO'd unit although they are more expensive. I put a TSO'd Freeflight XVR-978 system in my RV-12, and I love it.

Just curious do you have the traffic/weather available on the Skyview?

Without an electrical system, this old cub would need a battery powered transponder to show up.

If you're getting painted by ground radar then you will show up as traffic on the ADS-B uplink.

ADSB traffic

"if you're getting painted by ground radar then you will show up as traffic on the ADS-B uplink."

Not sure this is always the case. I fly in and around NY class B airspace and the ADSB coverage/signal is noted on the Skyview screen as being fully operational, however aircraft like Cubs without electrical systems (no transponder) are not showing up on my Skyview. Lots of targets are there, most of which I don't see until long after I see them on the screen. I really think ADSB traffic has added a lot of safety to my flying but it's not 100%.

I wonder if the traffic density is doing that to your display. According to Dynon you should be able to see that Cub!

"if you're getting painted by ground radar then you will show up as traffic on the ADS-B uplink."

Not sure this is always the case. I fly in and around NY class B airspace and the ADSB coverage/signal is noted on the Skyview screen as being fully operational, however aircraft like Cubs without electrical systems (no transponder) are not showing up on my Skyview. Lots of targets are there, most of which I don't see until long after I see them on the screen. I really think ADSB traffic has added a lot of safety to my flying but it's not 100%.

Walt,

I have a D180 so I have a small WiFi module that sends TIS and FIS data to my IPad for display in WingX. You can hard wire the ADS receiver directly to a display unit, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with the Skyview display. The folks at Freeflight in Waco, Tx are vey helpful and could answer your questions about compatibility.

Rich

ADSB will only show targets with a transponder that the ground radar can see. Even traffic with a transponder may not show up at lower altitudes depending on the distance from the nearest ATC radar unless that target has ADSB out. As more and more aircraft get ADSB out its going to be a fantastic safety tool.

George

I've been using ADS-B In two years and In and Out since July. The TIS portion is great, but I agree there are issues:

Occasional ghosting where a return of my aircraft is on top of my position pip
Drop outs of traffic
Broadcast system outages
Visual traffic not on the TIS display

Nothing can replace eyeballs completely!

This is what Jim (FAA ADS-B representative) had to say about radar only targets and TIS-B.

Brian, primary radar does feed traffic data to TIS-B. Not sure of the circumstanses mentioned at Oshkosh last year but could be that traffic with xpndrs off were surpressed lacking data needed for SSR/PSR target correlation.

I wonder if the traffic density is doing that to your display. According to Dynon you should be able to see that Cub!

With no transponder you are relying on "primary" radar to reflect off of the cub's steel tubing. But remember ATC radar has no vertical discrimination. Flying over a large city there is a tremendous amount of 'ground clutter' from tall steel buildings. Fly under or over another metal airplane and the primary targets merge. I think some fiberglass gliders are pretty much invisible to primary radar.
You just cannot count on ATC radar seeing non transponder aircraft.

Well ****, there goes my inflight movies:mad:
With no transponder you are relying on "primary" radar to reflect off of the cub's steel tubing. But remember ATC radar has no vertical discrimination. Flying over a large city there is a tremendous amount of 'ground clutter' from tall steel buildings. Fly under or over another metal airplane and the primary targets merge. I think some fiberglass gliders are pretty much invisible to primary radar.
You just cannot count on ATC radar seeing non transponder aircraft.

I love the ADS-B combined with the skyview. The traffic is very useful and I'd have trouble flying without it now. The weather is great too but less helpful here in Az.
I'm not sure these units will be compliant based on the current guidelines but I am studying it. From what I'm understanding there may need to be a TSO'd GPS input.

I also thought that the WX overlay was not that useful in Southern AZ until I flew from TUS via PAN to GCN last fall. 30nm south of PAN I saw a nasty thunderstorm front north of PAN that was impractical to fly around and it cut us off from Grand Canyon. I landed in PAN to wait it out and squeezed it in with 15kt gusty cross winds. I got to talk to a fellow who flew his Bonanza through that storm - he was still a bit green in the face. WX forecast had said light occasional showers that day.

I totally love my ADS-B! It's just very reassuring to verify that radio announcements are actually correct (or to see the truth when they are not) while flying in a busy pattern.

This is what Jim (FAA ADS-B representative) had to say about radar only targets and TIS-B.

Jim needs to freshen up one weekend with the AIM (which is AWESOME for any question about ADS-B):

Quote:
b. TIS-B Capabilities.

1. TIS-B is intended to provide ADS-B equipped aircraft with a more complete traffic picture in situations where not all nearby aircraft are equipped with ADS-B Out. This advisory-only application is intended to enhance a pilot's visual acquisition of other traffic.

2. Only transponder-equipped targets (i.e., Mode A/C or Mode S transponders) are transmitted through the ATC ground system architecture. Current radar siting may result in limited radar surveillance coverage at lower altitudes near some airports, with subsequently limited TIS-B service volume coverage. If there is no radar coverage in a given area, then there will be no TIS-B coverage in that area.

So no, primary only (no transponder) aircraft are not visible via the TIS-B (ADS-B) system. Or the AIM is wrong.. But in our experience the AIM is right.

While the graphical weather is great on a cross-country, I also find that being able to look at the current decoded text weather conditions for any airport I choose is REALLY useful!

While the graphical weather is great on a cross-country, I also find that being able to look at the current decoded text weather conditions for any airport I choose is REALLY useful!

Yep, I agree and would not want to be without it on cross country trips.

Agreed. I find that on any given day (me being a fair-weather flyer) I'm for more interested in winds and ceilings than I am in the radar depictions. Don't get me wrong - there is a definite benefit to seeing the radar, but it falls behind winds/ceilings and traffic on my ADSB priority list.

Agreed. I find that on any given day (me being a fair-weather flyer) I'm for more interested in winds and ceilings than I am in the radar depictions. Don't get me wrong - there is a definite benefit to seeing the radar, but it falls behind winds/ceilings and traffic on my ADSB priority list.

I'm with you Dave. Since flying a light sport I am much more cautious with wind conditions, but on that note I have been pleased with the RV12 handling of wind corrections on takeoff and landing.

Nearest Weather

Agree that weather radar is more functional on cross country trips. Locally I press Nearest and Wx on Skyview to see winds & ceilings for airports in the area. ADSB best investment I made, however I've learned it doesn't show everything like AC with inop (or off) transponder and jump planes more than 5000' overhead. As someone said, eyes open....

So, what does that mean for us guys who have gone with the SV system, with built in Mode S, and the ADS-B unit offered from Van's???? Are we still hanging out there come 2020?? And if so, what will we need to be compliant??

Tom

So, what does that mean for us guys who have gone with the SV system, with built in Mode S, and the ADS-B unit offered from Van's???? Are we still hanging out there come 2020?? And if so, what will we need to be compliant??

Tom
When I bought my SLSA I asked Vans the same thing. Their answer was that " there will probably be a module that meets compliance by then".

So??...:confused:

Tom,
Before Jan 1, 2020 (which is still 5 years away) you will need to install a new GPS receiver if you want to fly in ADS-B rule airspaces (Class B, Class C, above 10,000' MSL). If you stay out of those areas, what you have is fine.

The GPS needs to be certified, which the SV-GPS-250 that came with your 12 is not. Right now, modules exist, but are fairly expensive ($2,500+). We all expect there will be more affordable options in the next few years. However, if you want to get compliant today, we can help you do so, assuming your LSA is an E-LSA, not an S-LSA.

Realize you are not in a unique position. There are 150,000 GA aircraft in the USA that need to be compliant by 2020 and only a couple thousand are so far. You're far ahead since you have a fully TSO'd Mode-S transponder already so you just need a GPS, while almost all GA planes need a lot more work to meet the mandate.

Last edited:
Dynon,

Since my SkyView Mode S Transponder isn't ADS-B compliant, can I do a software downgrade to Mode C? That way I won't be outputting my discrete airplane ID?

Then, when you come up with a solution, I will set it back to Mode S.

More paperwork

Tom,
Before Jan 1, 2020 (which is still 5 years away) you will need to install a new GPS receiver if you want to fly in ADS-B rule airspaces (Class B, Class C, above 10,000' MSL). If you stay out of those areas, what you have is fine.

The GPS needs to be certified, which the SV-GPS-250 that came with your 12 is not. Right now, modules exist, but are fairly expensive ($2,500+). We all expect there will be more affordable options in the next few years. However, if you want to get compliant today, we can help you do so, assuming your LSA is an E-LSA, not an S-LSA.

Realize you are not in a unique position. There are 150,000 GA aircraft in the USA that need to be compliant by 2020 and only a couple thousand are so far. You're far ahead since you have a fully TSO'd Mode-S transponder already so you just need a GPS, while almost all GA planes need a lot more work to meet the mandate.

Keep in mind that the transponder, the gps, AND the combination must all have some sort of documentation. e.g., not just any gps meeting the specs can be attached - your transponder paperwork has to say "model xyz gps is an approved position source for this transponder".

Dynon,

Since my SkyView Mode S Transponder isn't ADS-B compliant, can I do a software downgrade to Mode C? That way I won't be outputting my discrete airplane ID?

If you have ADSB-in, then there is a reason to run your mode S even if the position source is not 2020 compliant: The uplinked traffic info will be tagged with your ID, so your display software should be able to filter it out and prevent false alarms due to your own radar image.

Nope, we cannot do this in software. Plus, if we did this you'd lose TIS-A traffic and TIS-B traffic.

If you have ADSB-in, then there is a reason to run your mode S even if the position source is not 2020 compliant: The uplinked traffic info will be tagged with your ID, so your display software should be able to filter it out and prevent false alarms due to your own radar image.

Actually, the bigger reason is that even a non-compliant source "wakes up" the ground station to send you all Mode C targets. Without ADS-B out you don't get reliable traffic at all, you have to have another ADS-B plane around to wake it up for you.

Of course, if you don't have ADS-B IN then it's irrelevant, except our transponder is a TIS-A client so you do still get traffic in some areas.

Nope, we cannot do this in software. Plus, if we did this you'd lose TIS-A traffic and TIS-B traffic.
Let me start b6 saying my issue is not with Dynon. The SkyView and integrated transponder is great! My concern has to do with the FAA's implementation, data recording, and the inherent limitations in the system.

I realize that I won't get traffic, and since there are a LOT of antiques based at my home field it really doesn't do me much good. So, for now I would be happy to give up ADS-B traffic. Besides, the one time I was almost hit (~20' separation) I was in controlled airspace and ADS-B traffic was way behind. I've learned not to put a lot of faith in it.

My fear is that since the FAA is recording all of our flights and knows who we are by serial number, not just a plane squawking 1200, some day they are going to mine their database for infractions. Things like taking off VFR when their computers say it is IFR at your location, nicking controlled airspace, performing an acrobatic maneuver to close to an airway or under a class B shelf, etc. With the data they are collecting, it is just a matter of time until they go after someone.

Last edited:
I, too, Bill am concerned about the surveillance and government opportunism in two regards.

1. Surveillance and receiving notice of a violation in the mail means you now must prove your innocence in the upside-down world of the FAA/NTSB where you're guilty until proven innocent.

2. Collecting user fees (I credit this notion to Brantel in an old ADS thread).

My -7 is 2020 compliant and I think about 1 above every time I fly. I'll start disabling ADS and the transponder if there's ever a whiff of FAA fishing. Catch me if you can.

Fees: A future certainty.

I've decided to never equip our 172. It's used primarily for trips into Class G, and on the rare occasion of needing Mode C (or ADS-B), beg entry from ATC as is currently allowed. I'm guessing a huge portion of the GA fleet will not be compliant and will make ATC's job an even bigger tower of babel.

John Siebold

Bill,
If you're that concerned about big brother watching and are willing to fly VFR only without flight following there is an option. Here is a segment from ADS-B specification circular (AC No:20-165 ) allowing for the pilot to disable the aircraft identification feature.

Anonymity Feature
. 14 CFR ? 91.227 contains specific provisions allowing operators with TSO-C154c equipment to transmit a self-assigned (randomized) temporary 24-bit address and a blank call sign. No such provision is provided for TSO-C166b equipment. After January 1, 2020 and in the airspace identified in 14 CFR ? 91.225, the UAT anonymous 24-bit address feature may only be used when the operator has not filed a flight plan and is not requesting ATC services. The UAT call sign may also be omitted, but only when the anonymous 24-bit address is chosen. We do not recommend integrating the anonymity features, as the operator will not be eligible to receive ATC services, may not be able to benefit from enhanced ADS-B search and rescue capabilities, and may impact ADS-B In situational awareness benefits. The following considerations must be included in the ADS-B system design when installing equipment capable of utilizing the anonymity feature:
(a) When the ADS-B equipment is initially powered-on, the 24-bit address must default to the aircraft?s assigned ICAO 24-bit address.
(b) When the ADS-B equipment is initially powered-on, the call sign may not be blank. At initial power-on it is acceptable for the call sign to revert to a non-blank call sign which existed prior to the ADS-B equipment being powered off, or to the aircraft registration number.
(c) The ADS-B equipment can only allow an anonymous 24-bit address selection if the Mode 3/A code is set to 1200.
18 5/21/2010 AC 20-165
(d) The ADS-B equipment may only allow selection of the anonymous 24-bit address via a dedicated pilot interface. The ADS-B Out equipment may not automatically set an anonymous 24-bit address or set a blank call sign based solely on pilot selection of the 1200 Mode 3/A code.
(e) The ADS-B Out equipment must automatically disable the anonymity feature if any Mode 3/A code other than 1200 is selected. The 24-bit address must automatically revert to the aircraft?s assigned ICAO 24-bit address. If the call sign was blank, the call sign must automatically revert to the aircraft registration number.

BillC

BillC,

I already do fly everywhere VFR and while I use flight following from time to time, I have taken long trips (SC to TX, NC to MI, etc.) without it.

I have found that airplanes fly perfectly well without radios. Which is why my next project will not have an engine driven electrical system! Now if I can find a wind driven generator, like my '41 Tcraft had.

One other thing, when talking to the FAA person who was staffing their ADS-B display last year, we were told that they will use the data for enforcement. At which point my friend said that if they start doing that, pilots will have the option of turning off their transponders. The FAA guy was not pleased at that comment.

Last edited:
BillC,
Unfortunately, the anonymous mode is only for UAT's, and not Mode-S transponders. To use this feature you need to equip with a Mode-C transponder AND a UAT as your ADS-B solution, not the much less expensive Mode-S with ES option.

You only need a transponder in the places you need a transponder. Perfectly legal to takeoff and fly with it off if you're not in one of those areas.

BillC,
Unfortunately, the anonymous mode is only for UAT's, and not Mode-S transponders. To use this feature you need to equip with a Mode-C transponder AND a UAT as your ADS-B solution, not the much less expensive Mode-S with ES option.

You only need a transponder in the places you need a transponder. Perfectly legal to takeoff and fly with it off if you're not in one of those areas.

Does (or will it) the Dynon Trig transponder have a "Mode C" option?

Mode S is the same frequency output as Mode C, just more digital data, correct?

Gil,
As asked above, it is not possible for our transponder to act as a Mode-C transponder. I honestly don't know if it's possible in software, but if it was, the transponder would need to be re-TSO'd since a Mode-C transponder is a different TSO than a Mode-S, and the Mode-S TSO does not allow Mode-C only operation.

Back