What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview EGTR error message

Power up skyview and EGTR shows red x. Immediately reads ok as soon as engine start. Traced the wiring from the sensor on right exhaust up to the spade connectors. Disconnected the spade connectors and cleaned them checking for loose wires. Appears ok. Tried reconnecting both red and yellow wires and red X still appears. Disconnected the red wire spade connector and accidently touched the red wire from the sensor to the yellow wire spade connector and the red X shut off. What is wrong?

The EGT sensors do not connect with spade connectors to the engine. The sensors for the EGTs are the ones that go through a small hole in the exhaust pipes and are held in there with a worm clamp. The spade connectors on the engine cylinders are for the CHTs and one near the oil pump is for the oil temp.
The EGT sensors are prone to failure and X out when the resistance the SV sees is deemed completely out of range. Sometimes they reappear once the engine heats up and drive the resistance back into a range that is considered good by the SV display.

There are spade connectors that connect the pigtail of the EGT probes to the FWF harness.

A poor crimp where the connectors attach to the wires (EGT probe or harness wires) is a common cause of an intermittent EGT sensor connection.

You are right of course. I think I misread the original post and assumed that the connection was at the engine when it clearly says "traced the wiring from the sensor UP...".

Dynon EGT sensors do have a spade connector and the connection can cause the problem you describe. Try to re-crimp the suspect one and I would suggest re-crimping the others as long as you are there.

Disconnected the red wire spade connector and accidentally touched the red wire from the sensor to the yellow wire spade connector and the red X shut off. What is wrong?
Shorting the two thermocouple wires together is a common troubleshooting procedure to test the integrity of the circuit back to the instrument. If a temperature is displayed when the wires are shorted together, then the problem is between the point where the wires are shorted and the thermocouple. Bad connections and broken wires are common problems with thermocouples.

Shorting the two thermocouple wires together is a common troubleshooting procedure to test the integrity of the circuit back to the instrument. If a temperature is displayed when the wires are shorted together, then the problem is between the point where the wires are shorted and the thermocouple. Bad connections and broken wires are common problems with thermocouples.

Also you may have just gotten a bad one - that happens as well.

I have the D180. My left EGT sensor died. I verified it by swapping leads and the failure followed left to right. A new sensor was bad too. The replacement is working fine.

Back