What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TIP: building a downdraft paint box

Got2Fly

Boom?

Ken,

Do you worry about en explosion hazard from paint fumes mixing with the fan motor? Ya hear about this all the time, but has anyone ever actually known of an explosion being created this way?

Thanks,

Tom

Well....

That's assuming that the stuff that goes boom is caught in the filter such as the organic vapors. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great idea, I just would like someone with more knowledge than me to give their opinion. I know companies spend a lot of money designing explosion proof motors, for just this reason.

I used boat bilge blower fans for my paint booth.

If they are good enough for removing gas fumes from an enclosed boat bilge, paint fumes should be no problem.

Plus they are already ducted. You just plug your vent hose in.

I considered carefully the explosion thing, and fan motors where the fan is completely isolated. But drawing on my aerosol torch experimenting when I was a teen, I find it very unlikely that the over spray when I paint out doors will be concentrated enough to combust. I'll let you know this weekend after I prime all the tail feathers ;)

Back