Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-01-2022, 05:43 PM

Default New guy here

Hello everyone. I don't know if this is the correct forum for an intro. If not please let me know and I will delete/move this thread. I have not built nor am I building an RV. Frankly I just don't feel the desire to do so and I have a lot of other irons in the fire. I am however looking to buy an RV-7 or perhaps an RV-6. I just want to make sure I am asking the right questions so that the purchase and use is a pleasant experience. If anyone has some ideas on threads that would help, or knows of any resources/expertise I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:47 PM

You’re in the right spot! Welcome!! What kind of questions do you have?
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 09-01-2022, 06:20 PM

Tal, where to begin? I've just started looking. Because Van's RV's are so popular there are a number of good looking planes on Tradeaplane, Controller, etc. What questions should I start with? The first I've been told is "Do you really own this airplane"? I don't want to rake anyone over the coals, but that's a good question. The rest are has the airplane been built/modified to comply with all AD's and service bulletins? What else after that? Are there resources such as mechanics with RV experience on this forum who would be willing to help me with a prepurchase inspection? What about difficulties with insurance? I have heavy tailwheel experience from back in the day as a young pup (left seat Beech 18,right seat DC-3) but virtually no single engine time. Will this be an issue? How to get around it and an agent/broker who might help? I'm going to stop there because I'm rambling and could go on for a while. I quess I'm just looking for a direction to find some info. Thanks again for responding.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:22 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

First off, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Next-----you need to define your mission so you can get the correct airplane.

Tandem or side-by-side seating?

Aerobatics??

IFR/IFR ?

Steam gauges/glass panel ?

Lots more, but the more items you can come up with, the better to find the correct plane for your needs.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 09-01-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:49 PM

I was exactly there two years ago. After decades in certified airplanes, I decided I wanted something that had better performance, newer, more fun, and more cost efficient. Knew nothing about experimental, was hooked. For me, a Van’s RV-something was a no-brainer given its reputation and history. I decided that a 7A or 9A was my goal. Very unimpressed with the Controller or Barnstormers experience, put a WTB ad here and on the EAA forums. Got a LOT of “well…I haven’t listed this anywhere but I would be interested in selling my RV-something”. Some really great planes but the one that sounded best was a beautiful and meticulous RV-9A instrument-capable glass panel. My RV guru (father of a friend) steered the process, vetted the plane, we flew down 4.5 hours, inspected it, I bought it, and flew it home. That process took about 3 weeks. What a transformative aviation experience!

I had NO interest in building and no interest in heavy maintenance…all of that stuff is done by my A&P. NO interest in tailwheel. Insurance was straightforward…Leah Ringeisen at Gallagher steered the process (broker)…cost is about $1400/year (went down this year). My buddy did the transition training. Insurance wanted 2 hours. My CFI signed off after 4 or 5 (I hadn’t flown in years), but I flew a lot with him beyond that and he made me a far better pilot, commensurate (almost) with this far-better airplane.

My advice…find an RV guru to hand hold you though the initial steps of this rather tricky process. DM me if I can be of further help. We can talk on the phone if you want.
IFR equipped
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 09-01-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:15 PM

Since you have previous Tailwheel time, and the fact that you brought that up makes me think you are inter in a Tailwheel model (The non -a versions). A -3 is a single seater, the -4 is the two seat version, the -8 is the bigger brother to the -4.. I feel the -4 flies better than the -8, but the -8 is roomier, more panel space for instruments, has a forward baggage compartment for more CG options. It’s a better X county option.
As for the side by sides, the 6 and 7 are almost the same, with the -7 being the newer version (I feel the -6 flies better.. more nimble IMO) and the -14 is the bigger brother, with huge baggage area behind the pilots.

Your size may determine which RV fits you best, as well as your flying style, and if your significant other doesn’t mind staring at the back of your head.. I love the -4, but wouldn’t mind an -8 or one of the Side by Side versions..
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 09-01-2022, 10:08 PM

Default Questions

In addituon to the comments already posted, I would ask a few other questions.
The obvious stuff. Engine, prop, avionics, etc.
Logs?
Who built it?
Any mods?
Is there a Builder Log?
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:46 AM

I've been in your position. What helped me the most was finding someone in my area who is very familiar with RVs and in a position to do a good pre-buy inspection.

My experience: Most local RV pilots (I happened to know a few) recommended this one guy, an A&P and CFI who had built multiple RVs for himself and helped on countless builds and upgrades and repairs. I was thinking of buying a certain RV-6 that was for sale in our area, I had visited it and it looked ok, so I asked this A&P to do a pre-buy. After the pre-buy, he spent half an hour telling me about all the little details that were worrisome on that airplane. So I was like "Ok, this guy is clearly a good resource". The next time I asked him to look at an airplane, it got his enthusiastic approval, so I bought it. I got transition training from him, condition inspections ("annuals"), and some repairs and mods; Gradually, over time, I became comfortable doing more of that kind of stuff myself.

So, if you can find an A&P in your area who has built an RV (I would say, an RV-3 through RV-9, because starting with the 10, building it becomes easier and more fool-proof in at least a few important ways), that would probably be a good way to make sure you get a safe airplane.
Worked on wind-tunnel research, on design & modeling of rocket & jet engines, control systems for UAVs & spacecraft, jetliner maintenance planning, lab tests & computer modeling of innovative aero structures, future airplane design… But I have always wanted to work for a small company, on airplanes optimized for fun rather than profit, and no airplane is more fun than an RV!
Old 09-02-2022, 06:38 PM

Thanks Wire
Old 09-02-2022, 06:48 PM

Thanks Bernardo. I am just in the beginning stages. Right now recovering from hip repalacement but once that's done I'll get into looking harder. I need to find a group in my area (Around Columbus, MT. I'm guessing that Billings may have a homebuilt group) that can help. If anyone has any suggestions for this area it would be greatly appreciated. I've pretty much settled on an RV-7, perhaps a 6. The wife would prefer a side by side and we would like to use it for travel and exploration. Tail wheel preferred because I have 2300 feet of grass strip at my house and I can see us going to some more remote strips in Montana and Idaho. I have tail wheel time, but from long ago. Not too worried about that though. I'm not thinking much about aerobatics right now. If I were to get the itch, I would definitely look more towards an RV-8. And at this age, any acro would be "gentlemanly". Let's just cut my teeth on a nice traveling airplane for now. I have looked at 182's even 210's. Familiar with both, but they are just not tripping my trigger. I like what Van's has to offer. Just not inclined to build.