What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reality check please.....

DanNiendorff

Well Known Member
I just received my fuselage kit and completed the inventory. After going through the inventory/inspection, one item bothered me. But it did not bother the Vans guys. I have to admit that I am not completely reassured, so I need to get a sense from other builders if you would consider this part OK for building with, or not.

The part that got my attention was the U-O1402. Those of you who have built farther along than me, please have a look and tell me if you would consider this part acceptable.

Attachments

• IMG_7930.jpg
    IMG_7930.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_7879.jpg
    IMG_7879.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_7878.jpg
    IMG_7878.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 434
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 394
I think it would be fine if you polish / buff out the corrosion, then prime and (if you like) paint it.

I'm sure they'd be happy to replace it if you're not happy but since it's bare steel you'll likely want to at least prime it before final install anyway.

Last edited:
I share the same opinion with Turner here. If it doesn't polish out, then yes replace it but if it does, then I think you are fine. I have primed these parts and for priming, I needed to scuff and clean anyway.

I share the same opinion with Turner here. If it doesn't polish out, then yes replace it but if it does, then I think you are fine. I have primed these parts and for priming, I needed to scuff and clean anyway.

I was going to say the same……….

My parts also had a little corrosion on them when I received from VANS. I cleaned, primed, and installed.
Canopy 90% complete
Waiting on Control Panel to be cut

Last edited:
I think I'd be pretty disappointed to receive brand new parts looking like that. As well as the corrosion the securing wire digging into the part. Both are not the standard I would hope for.

Clean prime and paint

The corrosion is on the surface only and the slight manufacturing groove in the steel won't affect the strength as it might if it was aluminum. I would clean off the corrosion with sandpaper or emery cloth and then prime and paint the part. Primer alone, unless it is epoxy, won't provide long term protection to the steel because it is porous. A topcoat will seal and protect against future corrosion.

The parts are sandblasted at factory. The “corrosion” is actually caused from the oil from someone’s hand. In the picture you can actually see the hand print on the lower bracket. Clean with scotch brite and prime or oil it until ready to prime. Note the surfaces on the bracket that need to be taped off and not primed.
6C53E7FE-FE34-47F0-AB0C-4ECF8D473F41.jpg

I just received my fuselage kit and completed the inventory. After going through the inventory/inspection, one item bothered me. But it did not bother the Vans guys. I have to admit that I am not completely reassured, so I need to get a sense from other builders if you would consider this part OK for building with, or not.

The part that got my attention was the U-O1402. Those of you who have built farther along than me, please have a look and tell me if you would consider this part acceptable.

You are lucky to have received this landing gear part. Our fuse kit was received last May and no U-01402. Back-order since then and Vans told me few days ago they do not know. And we need this now.

Its appears to me Vans is favouring new orders to b/o.

Anyway, is anyone not requiring this U-01402 for few weeks, I would take it and sent ours when it becomes available.

PS: I agree, this surface corrosion is not a big deal.

You’re spending quite a lot of money with Vans. I think as the customer, YOU get to decide what’s acceptable or not. If you’re unhappy, get them to send another one. Now is the time, not once the inventory period is over.

I just installed those parts myself!

I received my fuse kit and the fittings had a little surface corrosion starting to form, but it wasn't as far along as what is shown in your photos.

I didn't contact Van's. I sanded them and hit them with the red 3M pad to remove the corrosion as best I could. I then hit them with two coats of primer and installed them. They look great.

https://flickr.com/photos/bk1bennett/52253616722/in/album-72157714205958133/

I think I'd be pretty disappointed to receive brand new parts looking like that. As well as the corrosion the securing wire digging into the part. Both are not the standard I would hope for.

I would think getting an unpainted steel part with a little corrosion on it would be common. That part may have left vans perfectly clean. I can bead blast and clean a steel part and it will have a little corrosion already on it the next day.
Scuff, prime and move on. Or you can wait a month for an exchange and get another one potentially with a little bit of surface corrosion.

Back