What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Choice

hammer408

In my search of the ultimate answer as to what engine to purchase for my 9A a couple of questions arose and I'd lilke some feedback from those who have been in my shoes: hopefully to assist in my decision or clear up some of my concerns.

1) Is engine warranty really that significant? Wouldn't engine builder's, reputation, their support, etc., be more important that engine and/or cylinder warranty?

2) Is an engine that's NOT painted, just alodized, an issue? My concern would be future corrosion, etc. OR I could paint it myself! Would the engine really run cooler un-painted?

3) Is purchasing an engine from an independent builder better or worse than purchasing from the manufacturer directly? Maybe this questions goes with my question#1.

So much to think about, but it is a big $ investment to me.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Engine Thoughts

There are so many options that there is no 'right' answer. For me, I bought my engine/prop through Vans which saved a bit of $$. There is a lot of comfort in knowing that I have a brand new Lycoming hanging on the front of the plane that should serve me for many years before I need to consider major engine maintenance. Besides, the Lycoming plant is only 3 miles from my home, allowing for a hassle-free pickup at the factory loading dock.

jim Diehl RV-7A
Williamsport, Pa

A consideration for a slow builder - Aerosport has a warranty period that doesn't start ticking til first flight. There are a lot of other things to like about Aerosport but that was a biggy for me.

Buy the IO320 only. Do not buy it until you are within 6 months of flight.

Buy the one which you feel best with. Warranty really has very little to do with it as you are not likely to need it and from the big OEM's it is not worth the trouble. Aerosport might be the choice, but apply the rules above.

I would have 2 x mags, and a CS prop.

My $0.02 worth.

A consideration for a slow builder - Aerosport has a warranty period that doesn't start ticking til first flight. There are a lot of other things to like about Aerosport but that was a biggy for me.

Same here. Also, engine prices seem to be going up frequently. Buying a well preserved engine early worked for me.

I'm aways from the engine, but it seems like the three main experimental engine suppliers are Lycoming, ECI, or Aerosport at this point. Who cares to weigh in on these companies and your experience with them.

Thanks

Barrett Precision Engines

Don't forget Allen and Rhonda at Barrett Precision Engines! They are great to work with and build exceptional quality engines to your specifications. Check out their added value items on their website or better yet, give them a call - they'll be happy to answer any questions. No, I'm not on the payroll, just a happy customer (who hasn't flown my airplane yet, but I watched Allen build my engine!)!

Don't forget that with all the redundancy you may put in your panel, there's still only one engine out front!!

Good luck!

Don't forget Allen and Rhonda at Barrett Precision Engines! They are great to work with and build exceptional quality engines to your specifications. Check out their added value items on their website or better yet, give them a call - they'll be happy to answer any questions. No, I'm not on the payroll, just a happy customer (who hasn't flown my airplane yet, but I watched Allen build my engine!)!

Don't forget that with all the redundancy you may put in your panel, there's still only one engine out front!!

Good luck!

I ditto that.

This is not to say there are no other sources for an engine, but you can not go wrong with a Barrett Precsion Engine.

Ask anyone who has one. :)

Barrett

I've got a Mattituck (not yet flying) io360 hanging on my rv8 and it is really a nice looking engine.

I met Rhonda Barrett at OSH this year, and she really impressed me as being a straight shooter - I doubt you will go wrong buying one of their engines.

Why wait? Well you can preserve it and have it re-preserved all the time but I have seen engines forgotten about, time slips by.....and when installed, the engine is seized and requires all the cylinders to be reworked, O/S pistons and rings and a lot of expense compared to the alternative.

This one thread was about a 9A and IO320.....that was the last one I saw and it was expensive. The owner would have been financially miles in front had he waited.

You can do it either way, one costs money and has risk. The other is just the risk of price increases, but leave the money in the bank in a term deposit and offset some of the price rises.

Do the maths.

David, that's not really practical for most people. For a repeat builder maybe, but for most mortals you need to hang the engine to figure out all the firewall forward stuff, not to mention the cowling, baffles etc. Most builders will need a heck of a lot more than 6 months.
Properly inhibited engines seem to keep quite well even in our west coast humidity.

Last edited:
Fine, but buy it at the very latest possible moment. Even the factory inhibiting which they say is good for 6 months is really fine for 12 or maybe a bit longer. But if you take more than 12 months you should look at re-preserving.

My point is for most people, why on earth would it take more than 12 months to do the firewall forward and cowls, then paint the sucker!

I know some will hose me for this, but do you actually want to fly your aeroplane??? A year gives you 1000 hrs of weekend availability realistically, and you can build a whole RV7,8,9, in that time if you know what you are doing. So firewall forward even for a beginner should not take longer.

If it does well plan accordingly. If not it is a moot point.

Engine choice

David, as a first time builder it has taken me longer than you suggest. Many of us take a longer time, as we get stuck on some aspects of panel, wiring, and firewall forward.
RV9A Bill

In my search of the ultimate answer as to what engine to purchase for my 9A a couple of questions arose and I'd lilke some feedback from those who have been in my shoes: hopefully to assist in my decision or clear up some of my concerns.

1) Is engine warranty really that significant? Wouldn't engine builder's, reputation, their support, etc., be more important that engine and/or cylinder warranty?

2) Is an engine that's NOT painted, just alodized, an issue? My concern would be future corrosion, etc. OR I could paint it myself! Would the engine really run cooler un-painted?

3) Is purchasing an engine from an independent builder better or worse than purchasing from the manufacturer directly? Maybe this questions goes with my question#1.

So much to think about, but it is a big $ investment to me.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. There really is alot to think about; I really am looking at either Superior or ECI. Warranty aside, I guess either engine is a toss-up, based on my "research".

AeroSport does have a Superior 0320 "SPECIAL", but it's NOT painted - just alodized.

Does anyone believe this to be a problem. I guess I could paint it myself or leave it alone.

Thoughts???

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. There really is alot to think about; I really am looking at either Superior or ECI. Warranty aside, I guess either engine is a toss-up, based on my "research".

Thoughts???

You could choose to support a business that supports this site and others in it. That would be ECI! In that case, its NOT a toss up.

Engine for the RV-9A

If your not going to build your engine and this is your first time, look for a
company/builder that will baby sit you and give you value...Nickel cylinders no injection, and true basic power that you can maintained yourself. Smile
Good luck. Call vendors up & talk...

There really is a lot to think about; I really am looking at either Superior or ECI. Warranty aside, I guess either engine is a toss-up, based on my "research". Thoughts???

I think I'd wait until the dust settles on the proposed AD for ECI Continental cylinders before making a commitment:confused:

I've always thought Conti had the right idea for heat transfer with alodined cylinders, but if there was a big enough delta I'm sure Lycoming would follow suit. When I had Mattituck do my last Red-Gold overhaul I inquired about alodined cylinders; Mahlon indicated it didn't make much difference but if I wanted unpainted cylinders they would happily do so. In the end I had the whole engine painted red in their customary manner.

FYI - Many of the engines built by AeroSport, Barrett, etc., are "kit" engines assembled from either ECi or Superior parts. When you talk to your engine builder, you can select which kit you want them to put together for you, along with your options.

Some builders will only work with one supplier, so it is up to you to pick the option you are most comfortable with.

Slow builders

... My point is for most people, why on earth would it take more than 12 months to do the firewall forward and cowls, then paint the sucker!

I know some will hose me for this, but do you actually want to fly your aeroplane??? A year gives you 1000 hrs of weekend availability realistically, and you can build a whole RV7,8,9, in that time if you know what you are doing. So firewall forward even for a beginner should not take longer....
I agree! Anyone who can't finish the FWF in less than 12 months is a slacker idiot! :D

Im an idiot

Engine hung 2 years ago still not done.

A military move across country followed with a 12 month deployment. Now followed this month with another military move.

I am an idiot, should have picked a job more condusive to building.

Lets get this thing flying.

Back