camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 10-03-2022, 08:43 PM

Default P60G2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfuess View Post
Any recommended, or the same question in a roundabout way, which are you using now?
It depends. The interior of the airplane is all P60G2. I still spray it but very seldom as the airplane is almost done. Nothing to prime inside. Cockpit interior was sprayed with SW JetFlex over P60G2 before assembly so rivets would show. Bare steel parts get Napa 7220. Rattle can. I prime nutplates too. Fiberglass is primed and painted with Kirker EnduroPrime (2K Epoxy) and UltraGlo (Single stage Urethane).
The entire exterior got Alodined. It will be vinyl wrapped.
Tons of photos and tips on my blog.

If I build another, P60G2 would be my choice again except for cockpit. I would spray Enduroprime as a primer/top coat. It's hard as nails and comes in White, Gray and Black. One paint. Save weight.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
If I build another, P60G2 would be my choice again except for cockpit. I would spray Enduroprime as a primer/top coat. It's hard as nails and comes in White, Gray and Black. One paint. Save weight.
Can you dimple with the applied primer on and have no separation? I see the primer quantity calculator spreadsheet, but maybe the priming is interspersed through the assembly log?

You use a HVLP gun to apply?
Working on an RV-14
Old 10-04-2022, 09:38 AM

Thumbs down Dimpling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregfuess View Post
Can you dimple with the applied primer on and have no separation? I see the primer quantity calculator spreadsheet, but maybe the priming is interspersed through the assembly log?

You use a HVLP gun to apply?
You can. I don't normally, but I have dimpled after it cures.
One caveat with P60G2. It will wipe off with alcohol or solvents if you make marks and rub them off with a paper towel. It takes a bit of rubbing but it does come off. Alumiprep peels it right off like paint remover. P60G2 isn't a barrier like epoxy. It's a sacrificial layer. It reacts instead of the aluminum corroding.

Yes, most of the build was done with a DeVilbiss FLG. I bought a Harbor Fright Black Widow HTE when it was released. It's my favorite.

Priming is everywhere on the builder log. Early entries (empennage, wings) have quatity. Later I stopped logging it because the calculator is pretty accurate and easier to dial in.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:43 AM

Akzo epoxy primer
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Old 10-04-2022, 04:47 PM

PreKote + Stewart Systems EkoPoxy.

I chose it due to a low(-er) toxicity / health hazards. Personal protection is an individual choice, but I wanted a primer that I thought could be relatively safely used without a full gear, in a casual garage setting. Not a big expert on reading MSDS, but EkoPoxy one looked good to me.

So far I like how it sprays and how robust it is.
Ivan Dubrov #75069
Building an RV-7
San Antonio, TX (near 1TT8 Bulverde Airpark)
My build log
Old 10-04-2022, 05:41 PM

I alodine the interior and applied self-etching primer to the mating surfaces. The area that isn't seen by the occupant remained bare alodine because priming the confined area is a PIA. The main cabin was primed with automotive epoxy primer

All the exterior surfaces were adodine and primed using the automotive epoxy primer. It is fully cured and sandable after 2 -3 days. From the description from other poster, this stuff has a working time of about 2 hours compare to the other primer system that may have longer kick off time.

I am convinced any primer that can sufficiently blocks the air contact with the aluminum is good enough. From observation, the epoxy primer is so much tougher and than the self-etching primer.
Days to First Flight: 999
Painting: 99% completed
Donation paid through 2022
Old 10-04-2022, 11:29 PM

Default Epoxy

I used 2 part epoxy, Southern Polyurethane brand (SPI). I reduce 10% and apply one thin coat. BonAmi and water clean, Alumiprep and alodine before prime. Very durable, can dimple without cracking, but I dimple before prime. It has UV inhibitor so I used it for cockpit area also without a finish coat.

RV-6 status: finish kit
dues paid 2022
Old 10-05-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelrad View Post
I vary what I use depending on the area (and my mood). I've used Stewart Ekoprime for just about everything though. …
+1 to all of that. All that is needed is an okay’ish mask to keep overspray out of your nose, and a decent spray gun. I also use a $50 spray tent so I can spray outside. There are no fumes to worry about, so all the neighbors are happy.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwild View Post
I found a guy in Detroit that will sell it for $200 for a two gallon kit.
I live near Detroit and may need another set of AKZO for my RV-10. Could you give me the contact info for the guy you found? It is crazy expensive online!

RV-10
- Emp Kit delivered 20 Sep 2021
- SB Fuse delivered 7 Mar 2022
- QB Wings delivered 6 Sep 2022
- Finish Kit enroute!
- Lycoming Thunderbolt IO-540 ordered
Partnering with BoilermakerMike
Retired U.S. Air Force
Major airline pilot
CFII
2023 VAF Exempt, but donated anyway
Old 10-11-2022, 09:08 AM

Default Creative Coatings in Warren Mi

https://www.creativecoatingsco.com/

I was in communication with a guy named Ron. without putting his info on here for bots. ron@creati__________.com.

He mentioned they had ordered in a bunch of two gallon kits so he should have some on hand. I paid $189 and picked it up at his warehouse.
Working on wings
2022 Dues Paid

Photos of build progress here.