to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMA View Post
I had a great experience with Aerotronics on my RV-10. They worked with me to refine my panel layout, cut the panel, labeled it and coated it, and provided all the Garmin avionics along with the switches, breakers, and other bits. I installed all the equipment and did all the wiring myself (my preference as a EE). They were easy to communicate with, both before and after delivery, were professional and did a great job. I highly recommend them.

Regards,
SteinAir is my choice, but Aerotronics was my 10Friend's choice, and he has also gotten a super panel and service for years. Both will be your partner in the panel design and build process.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:39 PM

Default Unless

Unless you mention you are using EFII or SDSÖthen expect the cold shoulder.

Such a shame, as the panel I got from Stein was a work of art.

RV-10-ER
N464RL
In Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2022,...Thanks DR+
Old 08-31-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Now that is an interesting policy. I would be very curious as to their reasoning.
What is very weird with the companyís that wonít touch sds or EFII is that Iím not asking them to hook up a single wire to that system. Just cut me the hole for the controller and drill some holes for fuses and switches. Iíll take care of the rest.

I canít figure it out either. Apparently itís got something to do with lawyers.
Nuff said!

RV-10 in progress
CGMMD reserved
Dues paid till 2023
Old 08-31-2022, 07:52 PM

Default yep

yep, lawyers...

RV-10-ER
N464RL
In Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2022,...Thanks DR+
Old 08-31-2022, 07:58 PM

The only restriction I got from Advanced Flight was not to power any electronic ignition system from the Advanced Control Module, but I ran the power from a separate bus and wired per Ross's instructions.

Of course, very happy with the panel build from Rob Hickman using the 310 carbon fiber panel, but it's not Garmin gear, so not relevant to your choice of avionics. Just sharing a data point as to how another manufacturer treats the EI/EFI stuff from an electrical and legal risk standpoint.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 80 hours
66 years running stock DNA
Old 08-31-2022, 10:09 PM

Default Midwest Panel Builders

Mid West Panel Builders built my current projects panel. Garmin dealer and all in-house. They have many options including rear LED lighted switch overlay and electronic key fob security system. Plus Laser etched stick grips along with the custom panels. Give them a call. They have even supported a build assist wiring program for motivated builders. If needed send me a pm.
Member, FlyOnSpeed Team
Sling 4 TSI 90% Complete
2022 Dues Paid, Home Field 18FD
Old 09-01-2022, 02:44 AM

LEMAC Aviation at Falcon Field, Mesa, Az. Canít say enough good about them; fair prices, honest comms, reasonable timeline, and complete customer care. I highly recommend them.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:28 AM

I had a terrific experience with Aerotronics. I had a couple of unique asks they were able to handle for me, and the pre- and post-sale support has been phenomenal.

I went through MANY iterations of my panel in multiple combinations, and each time they were patient, thoughtful and tried to help me stay in my budget. When I got in a little over my head (which happens regularly) they were really patient with support, and even were kind enough to work with my local avionics tech to get through a difficult part of the install.

Really couldn't be happier.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMA View Post
I had a great experience with Aerotronics on my RV-10. They worked with me to refine my panel layout, cut the panel, labeled it and coated it, and provided all the Garmin avionics along with the switches, breakers, and other bits. I installed all the equipment and did all the wiring myself (my preference as a EE). They were easy to communicate with, both before and after delivery, were professional and did a great job. I highly recommend them.

Regards,
I agree about Aerotronics! The service AFTER the sale has been excellent! One of my favorite vendors to work with on my RV10 build.
2021 Oshkosh Bronze Lindy

1st Flight 08/20/2020 / Current Hrs - 334
Donation Happily Made 2022
Old 09-01-2022, 10:15 AM

As Iíve posted in the past, my mantra remains:
ďIf you can build it you can wire it and build your own panelĒ

For my projects I purchased all the avionic components as a bundle from Stein and I recommend him for all your needs. He gave me a nice discount on the bundle.

With new EFIS systems wiring is very straight forward. Cutting holes in the panel blank is not a big deal either.

When done you have you own detailed wiring and configuration documentation. This will pay dividends when time comes for an update or maintenance. If you make the extra effort to have the panel fully removable you can enjoy never being on you back with your head under the panel.

Some real life RV panel data:
- The RV-8A has been flying for 20 years. It is on its fourth full panel replacement, and sixth panel update.
- The RV-10 has been flying for 10 years. It is on this second full panel replacement and third panel update.
- The current RV-8 has been flying for a little over two years and still has the original panel but may soon do an update replacing the analog airspeed instrument with an AV-30.

If you stick with the kit provided panel blanks, a new panel layout is ~$30, some time cutting holes and paint.

Carl