What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Negative AMP indications ?

thiggins

Well Known Member
Every now and then I get to ride in a friend’s CTLS, which has the 912iS with Dynon avionics. This last recent ride the Dynon kept flashing yellow with the amp indication in the negative range. It mostly stayed in the -3 and -4 range, not even getting above zero. It would flash yellow off and on when hitting -4, which I pointed out.

Should it ever go below zero? That doesn’t make any sense to me. What would cause that? The below picture shows his (very sweet) panel in April.

It had values of zero and one amp in cruise in April mostly, which makes sense to me.

Attachments

• 1AF50B1A-200A-409C-9B63-54A01FDC7440.jpg
    1AF50B1A-200A-409C-9B63-54A01FDC7440.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
It all; depends on where you measure the current - you can put a shunt (or inductive ring) in a place where you are measuring amps in or out of the battery, for instance, and that will give you both plus and minus. It is a great example of how the pilot needs to KNOW how things are BUILT in order to understand what they are seeing in their aircraft. The CTLS isn’t experimental, so it should be documented, and the pilot should know what the amps are telling him - in our experimentals, its up to the pilot to figure out how it was built (if they weren’t the builder).

Above 3500 RPM my voltage is close to 14V., and my amp indication bounces between +and- At low RPM during taxi it stabilizes on a slight discharge and around 13.5 Volts.

Back