camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2022, 05:40 PM

Default Fuses and breakers

Otis: great-looking panel - glad I saw it as I'm ordering up my G3X components.

What is protected by fuses, and why?

thx
RV10 sold (miss that one too!)
RV-14A build underway
Old 08-29-2022, 07:10 PM

Default The where and why of fuses-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esco View Post
Otis: great-looking panel - glad I saw it as I'm ordering up my G3X components.

What is protected by fuses, and why?

thx
Thanks, great question. It was my hope that this post would be of some use to builders in the process of designing their panels. All of my primary component electrical protection is via pullable breakers but there are also two lightweight fuse blocks. One is not accessible in flight and protects non-essential things like the USB charger, certain lighting components, etc., and the other, visible on the center console and super-accessible in flight as it protects essential loads, the twin plasma III ignitions and the twin electric fuel pumps(there is no engine driven pump on this bird). Note that each of these loads has arbitrary, full-time access to either of my two EarthX ETX900V batteries, so each requires not one but two fuses for individual protection. I elected to let both fuel pumps share a single fuse to each battery, though. Much more on the battery system in a future thread- truly exciting stuff.

The best answer to your question(What is protected by fuses and why?) is probably “Whenever it makes the most sense”. Breakers are a lot heavier, and their wiring takes up far more space, so using them on low-load, peripheral accessories becomes harder to justify. - Otis

Here are the things I deemed worthy of breakers:

Note that most Garmin components have two power inputs dioded from one another so each requires two breakers if you use them both. I took advantage of this by feeding power from the main avionics switch to the p1 inputs on everything in the long bracket on the top row. P2 inputs bracketed in the bottom row receive power through the Aux Garmin Power switch at the top of my center console, and that double throw on-off-on switch has direct full-time access either EarthX battery. A huge advantage of this is that I can power partial avionics off the auxiliary bus switched to one battery, choose the other battery with the master switch for starting the engine before energizing the alternator field or main avionics switch. Thus the electronics see nothing of the voltage caos during startup. As I recall the GTX345 power inputs may not be dioded, but this is easily remetied by adding diodes to the respective power feeds.
Frmr Pilot/Author CAFE APR's:
RV-8A, S-7C, Europa, Glastar.
-2022 VAF donation!!-
"RV-Fun is inversely proportional to RV-Weight!"

Last edited by Hartstoc : 08-30-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:16 PM

Any over-heating problems with the iPad? Or is your mount also a cooler?
Old 08-29-2022, 07:43 PM

Default IPad cooling-

The mount is not a cooler, but problems have been rare and manageable so far. I actually carry a spare iPad cloned to my primary when I travel. ForeFlight involves a lot of processing so it does get warm. The ram mount is open-backed because I drilled large holes to lighten it, and there is good air circulation around it and both help with cooling, and I try to shade it when it is being nailed by direct right-quartering sunlight.- O
-2022 VAF donation!!-
Old 08-29-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartstoc View Post
Thanks, great question. It was my hope that this post would be of some use to builders in the process of designing their panels. All of my primary component electrical protection is via pullable breakers but there are also two lightweight fuse blocks. One is not accessible in flight and protects non-essential things like the USB charger, certain lighting components, etc., and the other, visible on the center console and super-accessible in flight as it protects essential loads, the twin plasma III ignitions and the twin electric fuel pumps(there is no engine driven pump on this bird). Note that each of these loads has arbitrary, full-time access to either of my two EarthX ETX900V batteries, so each requires not one but two fuses for individual protection. I elected to let both fuel pumps share a single fuse to each battery, though. Much more on the battery system in a future thread- truly exciting stuff.

The best answer to your question(What is protected by fuses and why?) is probably “Whenever it makes the most sense”. Breakers are a lot heavier, and their wiring takes up far more space, so using them on low-load, peripheral accessories becomes harder to justify. - Otis
Great answer!

My plane came with circuit breakers, and when I'm doing large database uploads, I pull the breakers on everything that's not getting data uploaded... or new software. Don't know how much this preserves the battery, but might make a difference when it's getting low.

I've got a switch installed, but not yet wired, that will give power to the two display screens through their built in, diode protected secondary power input, so I will be able to turn them on outside of the master switch when doing database uploads. This power source uses a pre-existing fuse on the battery charger.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:02 PM

Hi Otis, Tell me about that Ipad pro, if you would. How easy is it to see in bright sunlight?? I've presently got a Nexus 9, which for my old eyes, "is" easy to see in bright sunlight. But its starting to go Tango Uniform. I had an ipad before, but it was really hard to see in bright sunlight, which of course, is why I'm asking.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:21 AM

Thumbs up The proof is in the usage . . .

Nice Panel!! I would love to push plans from FF but have the non-touch.

I had always flown with round gauges but went full electronic. I was lost in my first sessions for IFR retraining but after a few flights my brain suddenly adapted and knew what to look for on a scan. Sitting and writing what I wanted and where to look helped a lot. The moving map is there, but invisible to me unless needed in the soup on short final to see the airport. Maybe I process, but don't see it.

I have the Ray Allen handle with more buttons and really like that. The trim button availability is ok, but a hat would be welcome. The PTT co-pilot on the panel is something I mistakenly did not do. Good thinking on yours.

Where did you put your TOGA?

Oh Oh . . . . really like the usable screen on that 750!!!

Two thumbs up.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
Hi Otis, Tell me about that Ipad pro, if you would. How easy is it to see in bright sunlight?? I've presently got a Nexus 9, which for my old eyes, "is" easy to see in bright sunlight. But its starting to go Tango Uniform. I had an ipad before, but it was really hard to see in bright sunlight, which of course, is why I'm asking.
The iPad 11” pro, though not nearly as bright as the garmin instruments, has never presented a problem for me due to brightness. The main issue is with polarizing sunglasses, which do require that it be mounted in portrait rather than landscape mode. The ease with which you can expand and shrink the region you are trying to see generally saves the day if you cannot make it out at first glance. It does become important to have a noise-free charge port available to it, however, as the bright screen in combination with processor-hungry ForeFlight sucks a lot of energy.- Otis
-2022 VAF donation!!-
Old 08-30-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Nice Panel!! I would love to push plans from FF but have the non-touch.

I had always flown with round gauges but went full electronic. I was lost in my first sessions for IFR retraining but after a few flights my brain suddenly adapted and knew what to look for on a scan. Sitting and writing what I wanted and where to look helped a lot. The moving map is there, but invisible to me unless needed in the soup on short final to see the airport. Maybe I process, but don't see it.

I have the Ray Allen handle with more buttons and really like that. The trim button availability is ok, but a hat would be welcome. The PTT co-pilot on the panel is something I mistakenly did not do. Good thinking on yours.

Where did you put your TOGA?

Oh Oh . . . . really like the usable screen on that 750!!!

Two thumbs up.
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, even though There is a physical button atop the pax side stick, it is not connected, so I can easily remove the stick so it does not interfere with my wife’s knitting projects when travelling(you would be amazed how much turbulence is required to make her stop! I’m a lucky guy.) Yes, I could add a quick disconnect but, ironically, the more complex your systems become, the more the KISS principle applies. The panel mount co-pilot PTT works just fine.

The TOGA button was not yet labeled when the photo was taken, but it is the black button midway up the right side of the 750.

I also got my IFR ticket on round gauges back in the 1990’s, and I know some other older pilots have trouble making the transition. For me, once I developed a functional scan of the G3X, glass quickly became far easier than steam gauges ever were. I dread the thought of ever needing to fly IFR the old way again.- Otis
-2022 VAF donation!!-

Last edited by Hartstoc : 08-30-2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:54 AM

Nice panel Otis. I'm in the planning stages of a panel upgrade and my ideas are pretty close to yours.

Since you used a single G3X screen, did you install dual ADHRS for redundancy? Or just depend on the G5's internal ADHRS for backup?
Milwaukee