camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2022, 05:44 PM

Default Cowl protection

Just take half an old T-shirt and pull it behind the spinner and tape it to the spinner after you wrap it around. Same with the bottom. Same rag just move it to the bottom. I have an RV-6A and do the same to the fairing.
No scars if you do it right.
I tried the blue tape, But it rips, tears, etc.

Art
Old 08-19-2022, 06:10 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

It’s fun when someone resurrects a thread from well over a decade ago!

I’m sitting in the workshop with the Valkyrie beside me, taking a break from working behind the panel (yet another piece of test equipment going in, trying to sort out wiring scars from many such tests over the years….), and looking at a logbook with just show of 2100 hours. She still looks god enough to have spent the day on Boeing Plaza last month, but there are lots of little dings….one from a rock on a back country strip, and other from where a tent peg dropped while unloading at a campsite. There are some cracks in the cowl paint from years of heat, and yeah - I can;t tell you how many times the wheel pants have been rebuilt - right now, they look pretty good, but in a year? Who knows…..

Fly ‘em, enjoy ‘em, and if your thing is keeping them in perfect condition while doing those things, more power to you! I still wash, but rarely wax, and I stopped touching up paint when I acquired more airplanes to care for. Doesn’t; mean I don’t like anymore - it just means that we are comfortable together as we are….

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 08-19-2022, 07:49 PM

I cleaned mine when I got home from the Western Tour, and found four or five new chips. Probably got 'em at Smiley Creek. I kinda like 'em...reminders of a good time with good friends.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:14 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your advice to keep my RV7 looking great!
Old 08-20-2022, 09:56 PM

I enjoy seeing the really nice planes with the great interior and paint job just like I do custom cars.

I really enjoy seeing the planes that I can tell the builder built. I know each of us is better at one part of the build - fiberglass, panel, interior, riveting, and painting.

We all get to build the plane we want and can spend what we want. The guy that gave me my first ride back in 2010 built his 9A for about $30k. He used ski pole grips for the stick, bought a used engine and bought a second hand kit. It flew great and he still enjoys flying it all the time. That is less than a nice paint job now.

My plane came out great. I love it. If I was a better painter, it would look even nicer! Im working on my wheel pants now but I hate taking time away from flying!

That is what is nice about experimental. We all can get what we want!
Flying N376E
Old 08-21-2022, 08:23 AM

I too am a "tape guy". It's quick, easy and effective.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:54 AM

Great to see some beautiful aircraft at OSH this year. The only negative trend I see over the last few years IMHO are the aircraft that are clearly built by an entire team for the express purpose of claiming a prize. They are indeed beautiful but when you ask one of the "builders" about a certain detail on "their" aircraft, they are unable to answer, clearly because they have no idea what you're talking about. Ask any actual builder about their aircraft and I guarantee they'll tell you all about it. I see these show winners usually up for sale soon after they win "awards" at multiple fly ins.

Just passed the 500 hour mark on my steed about a month prior to OSH '22. She wasn't built to win awards but she still looks good. A few paint chips here and there but still taking me to a lot of fun places and meeting a lot of great people. Looking forward to building a -15 and adding to the stable. Like my wife says with horses, "they're like potato chips, you can't have just one".

As far as keeping the LE of the cowling looking good, I also use painters tape. I've found if you make the strips longer, if it does begin to tear, you've got more tape to work with to remove the whole strip.
RV-15 N302TK "La Proxima Chica"
TN26
Old 08-21-2022, 10:10 AM

I saw a number of factory assist builds getting judged ... personally, I don't think factory assist builds are fair entries into the contest.
N196 RV-14A #140376 (Flying) 2019 Bronze Lindy
N169 Carbon Cub EX-3 (Finishing)
N15Z RV-15 (Waiting ... impatiently)
Old 08-21-2022, 10:12 AM

Default Barriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo 1 View Post
I am a new owner of an RV7 and have taken the cowl on/off a few times in the few months that I have owned my plane. I notice that it's pretty easy to scratch the paint on the cowl and spinner if you are not super careful. Do you have any tips or tricks to make this easier? I've heard that there is a product that you can buy that fits between the spinner and cowl that protects both when removing the cowl. Does anyone have information about this?

Thanks for your help!
I went to the Dollar store and got some colorful plastic report folders. I made one to fit between the cowl and the spinner as my lower cowl is hard to get perfect.

Also a couple wrapped around the gear fairings where the lower cowl will drag. I use tape for the gear legs, and some spring clamps to hold the U shaped barrier behind the spinner.

I have a couple more made for sliding the intersection fairings up the gear leg from the James pants.

The material is pretty tough and slippery.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos151 View Post
Great to see some beautiful aircraft at OSH this year. The only negative trend I see over the last few years IMHO are the aircraft that are clearly built by an entire team for the express purpose of claiming a prize.
The first one of those I saw was an RV-6 which (IIRC) won Grand Champion awards about 20 years ago at both SnF (when that mattered) and Oshkosh. There was a large write-up in Sport Aviation where it was apparent the builder had hired out much/most/all of the work.

There are truly exceptional individuals who build award winning aircraft, but it is hard to compete with pro-built aircraft with a no expense barred budget.

The good thing is, nothing about the pro built aircraft diminishes the efforts of people who build their own aircraft and do a tremendous job at it, all while learning something and getting to experience the pride that stems from their hard work.
2019? (actually 2022) RV-10 N46BX