What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Enough already! The word is GAUGE, not GUAGE!

Teh instead of "the" .......... typical error with these gearheads.......you know who they are.....:D

hint.... P*** and S****.....:eek:

Last edited:
I'm tolerant of most of the mis-spellings listed thus far, but if you are one of the many who pronounce "jewelry" as "jewlary", you can't be my friend.:D I've even heard it mis-pronounced this way on jewelry store tv commercials. :eek:

Oh!

...and exactly WHEN is next Wednesday?

How is it different from this Wednesday?

God forbid we discuss the following Wednesday!

:D CJ

On a more aviation-related note...I've seen "judder" used many times. What the heck is "judder"? Shudder? Jitter?

(And it's "nuclear", not "nucular" :) ).

I prefer to use strain gages to measure stress. Never have had too much luck using strain gauges.

-larosta

Oh!

...and exactly WHEN is next Wednesday?

How is it different from this Wednesday?

God forbid we discuss the following Wednesday!

:D CJ

Where my Mom grew up (Mississippi) they spoke of 'Wednesday' (this Wednesday) and 'Wednesday week' (next Wednesday).

According to Webster "aluminum" is the way we spell it in the USA. Seems that everywhere else it is "aluminium".:D CJ

This is because the naming process got screwed up beginning in (1807). Sir Humphry Davy originally called it Alumium later changing it to Aluminum (1812) but the scientific community thought it should be Aluminium to maintain naming consistencies of the time. In the newspapers of the time, the spelling was about evenly split between the two spellings indicating confusion already settling in. Eventually, Webster's called it Aluminum (1828) but and Oxford called it Aluminium (1826) slightly earlier. The rest is history.

My understanding anyway. YMMV

Bevan

Last edited:
Anyone who is dyslexic should join "DAM", (Mothers Against Dyslexia)

This is because the naming process got screwed up beginning in (1807). Sir Humphry Davy originally called it Alumium later changing it to Aluminum (1812) but the scientific community thought it should be Aluminium to maintain naming consistencies of the time. In the newspapers of the time, the spelling was about evenly split between the two spellings indicating confusion already settling in. Eventually, Webster's called it Aluminum (1828) but and Oxford called it Aluminium (1826) slightly earlier. The rest is history.

Bevan

Buddy a mine (and we are still buddies) calls it Alunimum. Could be his mom was part of DAM?

I'm tolerant of most of the mis-spellings listed thus far, but if you are one of the many who pronounce "jewelry" as "jewlary", you can't be my friend.:D I've even heard it mis-pronounced this way on jewelry store tv commercials. :eek:

I am one of the many who quite correctly pronounce jewellery in the way you describe:D

I hope I can still be your friend!

Here's another couple of classics - `off of' and `should of'. You didn't get off of the chair, you got off it, or at least you should have, not should of.

Did the house burn UP or burn DOWN?

https://everydaydiscoveries.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/whats-up-with-up-another-english-language-rant/ I've read this before, but the best part was missing here. What is the last thing you do before going to bed and the first thing you do in the morning? U-P

My pet peeve is the misuse of bring. Some people never take anything, they always bring it. "Do you want me to bring this over to your place", "I can bring it home" (when speaking from other than home). Come and bring it, go and take it.

I'm on the same page with should of instead of should have. Drives me crazy.

Of course, I live in the south where things like "I just seen that" are said and it just about kills me.

Last edited:
Is a fuel truck flammable or inflammable?

And don't forget some of those Texas words like usetocould! Example; "I can't run as fast as I usetocould!"

Last edited:
Ok, where's my hanger thread....you know, to sew cloth over it to keep your clothes from rusting.......

decent vs descent ... please

I prefer to use strain gages to measure stress. Never have had too much luck using strain gauges.

-larosta

Strain gage or strain gauge? Each can be found for sale on the internet. Prices are pretty descent.

After moving to Boise from LA, I noticed the common practice of using the past tense for a future activity. It's spreading, and my sweet, smarter-than-me wife has picked it up, e.g., "That shirt needs washed."

Drives me nuts.

Another fun one: Passed v. past.

John Siebold

Anyone who is dyslexic should join "DAM", (Mothers Against Dyslexia)

I feel sorry for the insomniac atheist dyslexic who lies awake at night pondering the existence of a dog.

:rolleyes:

Don't start me on the differences between the correct English and the new form of Colonial English. That said, I find it easier to communicate the 'mericun way when over in the States. Saves lots of 'huhs', 'say what', or 'oh really's.

Best one is when I am asked where I am from. The look you get when you smile and say Iceland is priceless....

No - I'm not btw.

I share this with my Computer Science students as they struggle to write reports for their projects:

How to Write Good
1) Avoid alliteration always.
2) Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
3) The passive voice is to be avoided.
4) Avoid clich?s like the plague. They?re old hat.
5) Comparisons are as bad as clich?s.
6) Writers should never generalize.
seven) Be consistent.
8) Don?t use more words than necessary, it?s highly superfluous.
9) Be more or less specific.
10) Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
11) Eschew obfuscation.
12) Never use a long word when a diminutive one will do.
13) It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
14) Who needs rhetorical questions?
15) Don?t be redundant, redundancy should be avoided.
16) Pleaze chezch yur speling.
17) Punctuation. is; important?

"Myself" has replaced "I" and "me". In the age of selfies and millennial self centeredness, "Myself and my brother went flying today".

I wasn't able to find another one, but this isn't the first thread on this subject (maybe I mispelled "misspell" in the search engine...).

While I still hear fingernails on the chalkboard in my head every time I see "should of" instead of "should have", "your" used as a contraction for "you are", or "certified" referring to factory-built airplanes, I have found that it bothers me less than I bother others when I point it out.

Now I need to finish reading these fourums, and get out to the hanger and debur sum wholes.

I prefer to think that we were the original suppliers of the staff, together with the Dutch, Germans etc etc.

There was that ungracious spat over tea I do recall.

Saved....Mmmmm, assisted, lent us some money, but then - we did give you all the technology secrets. Electrical generation, radar, jet engines, supersonic flight and..... the internet.

I think we are about even at the moment - eh ?

:rolleyes::p

I'll always remember the British comic whose opening line was,

"First let me congratulate you guys for leaving the old country because of high, unfounded taxes. How's that working out for you?"

Since you brought up the notion of this newer generation's new words; I really hear that screaching chalkboard sound when I hear "physicality". When did this become a word? Another one that drives me nuts is "organic"!

"He showed his physicality when he lifted those boxes. It was a very organic exhibition."

ARGGGGG!!!!

An as yet unmentioned, and very common word crime: "breaks" instead of "brakes". I see the incorrect word used as frequently as the right version both on this forum and on automotive forums I'm on. Drives me almost as crazy as the "hangar/hanger" example, and my wife will attest that hearing someone in the media use "aircrafts" on air pretty much causes me to lose it. Yes, I have issues. No, I'm not working on them;)

An as yet unmentioned, and very common word crime: "breaks" instead of "brakes". I see the incorrect word used as frequently as the right version both on this forum and on automotive forums I'm on. Drives me almost as crazy as the "hangar/hanger" example, and my wife will attest that hearing someone in the media use "aircrafts" on air pretty much causes me to lose it. Yes, I have issues. No, I'm not working on them;)

I'm right there with you Gerry!

Bevan

This one just came to mind. Zulu.2 is the newer version of the Zulu headset. It is a slight change, hence the ".2" designation. It is not a Zulu 2. The sound quality on the Zulu and the Zulu.2 is almost identical. There are just some features on the .2 that aren't on the original Zulu.

Possibly one difference is the guage of wire used in the cords. :) (auto-correct almost fixed this one)

Last edited:
OK, I finally have to speak up ....

I've kept silent until now, but since this thread has w-a-y more life than I expected, it's time to confess. ;) The two BIGGEST spelling gaffes in these forums ... that drive me crazy ... are "breaks" for brakes, and "peddles" for pedals. Within the last year, there was a thread herein where the poster talked at length about the problems with his "break peddles". Egads.

There. Now that I've outed my neurosis, I feel better. :D

Here is one for you

Without consulting your handheld device, which is correct: misspell or mispell?

The funny thing I have noticed is that spell check on the Reply to Thread dialog on this site catches all of the words that aren't spelled correctly :) Doesn't catch misuse though. :D

Back