What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom IAC200 Comm

Icom A200

George,
I put the TSO'd ICOM A200 in my 8A and have had good luck so far (155 hrs). Antenna is belly-mounted. Good reception, the local tower can pick me up at 20 miles out at 5,000', maybe farther than that but I haven't really tested for maximum range. There was a problem with too much cockpit noise overloading the electret microphone on the headset, but this was solved using a MicMuff. If you rig up for night flying, you'll want to connect the display lighting to a dimmer.

I have a non-TSO'd iCom A200 in my -6A with an archer wingtip antenna. I installed it as my Comm2. It has performed well. I think any degradation in reception is due to the 'tip antenna. My Com1 (GNS430) has an external antenna and gets better range.

Ben Beaird

Ic-a200

At my work we use the non-TSO versions extensively. They seem to work well in our vehicles except the knobs tend to get loose (operator abuse I suspect) and the rubber grips around the frequency knobs crack and break sometimes. As a matter of fact I have threatened :rolleyes: to make one of them disappear-if you get what I mean. Sometimes I do wish it had a separate squelch knob but I don't think the King brand radio is any different. I would use one in my airplane.

I installed an non-TSO unit in my TriPacer 9 years ago. It has worked flawlessly. I used a fiberglass com antenna mounted at the wing root. Receive range has been as far as 75 miles. The built-in intercom is useless. A prior post mentioned the rubber grip on the knobs cracking and falling off. My son's Lego set has given up 2 small "tires" for the cause.

Wings arrive tomorrow,
Steve

Thanks

Thank you for all of the input. I am looking for a set up much like Ben has. It sounds (no pun intended) like the Icom will be a good #2 radio. George

I used a non-TSO version for 11 years in my first home-built, and on the strength of that, put on in my second a/c - an RV6. I have now used this for a year without problems.

Back