Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2020, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Default Please don't do this

I'm trying to contain myself as I write this. We have an RV-10 in the shop that is having heading issues, along with some intermittents. Configuration is a G3X (non-touch).

Removing the PFD show's a real rat's nest of wiring behind it.

Finally found the ADAHRS after a lengthy search. It was high up on the bulkhead behind the instrument panel, above the VPX. It was mounted with one cable tie through the two top holes. Nothing else. No bolts at all. For those of you with a keen eye, yes there is a bolt now in the lower-left corner, as I finally remembered to take a picture after we started installing bolts.

Personally, I think this kind of workmanship borders on criminal. Especially when compensation is involved.

This was an RV-10 where there was compensation involved in the building process. I will leave it at that. It's now on its second owners, who are airline captains and fly it IFR.

Suffice it to say that if you don't know what you are doing, then don't do it. Somebody is going to get hurt.

End of vent.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 12-03-2020, 05:17 PM

when I began wiring my aircraft I thought this will only take 4 weeks. I finished the wiring at month 5. do not underestimate the wiring effort and develop a method that allows you to keep it tidy. I immediately learned not to cut the wires to final length because the routing may change. the nice thing is that I have not needed to touch the wiring since because of a wiring problem. do it properly the first time and you only have to do it once.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 12-03-2020, 05:20 PM

Just F'ing WOW is all I can say..............I would be asking for some of that money back for sure !!

Larry Anderson
Indianapolis
RV-Super 8 N88XT SOLD
RV-10 QB N38LA Flying
Helicopter Instructor Pilot
Standardization I.P.
Instrument Examiner
U.S. Army Retired
EMS Pilot for LifeLine
At IU Health Retired :-)
Although Exempt,
Donated for 2021
Old 12-03-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
I'm trying to contain myself as I write this. We have an RV-10 in the shop that is having heading issues, along with some intermittents. Configuration is a G3X (non-touch).

Removing the PFD show's a real rat's nest of wiring behind it.

Finally found the ADAHRS after a lengthy search. It was high up on the bulkhead behind the instrument panel, above the VPX. It was mounted with one cable tie through the two top holes. Nothing else. No bolts at all. For those of you with a keen eye, yes there is a bolt now in the lower-left corner, as I finally remembered to take a picture after we started installing bolts.

Personally, I think this kind of workmanship borders on criminal. Especially when compensation is involved.

This was an RV-10 where there was compensation involved in the building process. I will leave it at that. It's now on its second owners, who are airline captains and fly it IFR.

Suffice it to say that if you don't know what you are doing, then don't do it. Somebody is going to get hurt.

End of vent.

Vic
Id be willing to bet this came out of a shop in FL.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:02 PM

I have seen some rats nest before but holly smokes dick Tracy. Surprised there wasnt a fire.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:15 PM

Default before/after

It would be interesting to see the "after" pictures once you have it tidied up, assuming it is not going to leave the shop if it is not right.

I can see that some of the wiring has been bundled and laced in the "before" pictures, so there was some attempt at order, but for some reason that was not continued through for the whole job. I wonder if two or more people worked on it, it looks like different hands did e.g. all those red wires, we'll never know.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build

Last edited by PaulvS : 12-03-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:15 PM

Sweet baby Jesus...

Thanks for posting Vic. Not going to lie, when I see your name under a thread name like "Please don't do this" I get a little excited to see the train wreck pictures that will be contained within.

Also great to see examples of how not to do things.
I can see the light!
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 12-03-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithflys23 View Post
Id be willing to bet this came out of a shop in FL.
And I'll bet I can name the shop...
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:25 PM

This is prime example of why builders need to do their own work.

I've heard all the "I don't understand wires" excuses to last me a lifetime. If you can build an airplane you can wire it. We are not building some 1960 analog monster, we now have things like networks and serial ports that make life much easier. Now overlay the knowledge learned in the process to maintain your avionics install, and to plan and do the inevitable panel upgrades over the years and the value of doing this yourself becomes evident.

Shoot fire - if you really can't bring yourself to do this then find a local builder to help you get over the hump.

Stepping off my soapbox...

Carl
Old 12-03-2020, 06:26 PM

There is just flat-out no excuse for this lack of workmanship. And there's really no excuse for an owner accepting it.

I've seen grade-schoolers do a neater job on their science fair projects...who on earth thinks that this is acceptable for an *aircraft*?

It doesn't have to comply with the NASA wiring spec, but it ought to at least *appear* to have been done with some care and thought...this is atrocious.