Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2020, 06:47 AM

Default Anyone have trouble keeping the tail down during runup?

Iím not sure if something could have changed with prop angle when my prop & hub were overhauled and the governor replaced but I experienced something for the first time last night when I did my run up.

I have a 200hp IO360 with a 3-blade MT prop, Mt hub and MT gov. Yesterday as I was approaching 2000 rpm on my way to 2100 to cycle the prop the tail started to lift even with full aft stick (stick and elevator have full travel and were at the stop). I throttled back, moved the stick, verified visually I was getting full aft stick / elevator and tried it again...same thing happened. I ended up cycling the prop at 1950rpm and as soon as the pitch changed, the tail jumped a little.

I was at 1/2 fuel, solo and I donít weigh much but the CG was near the middle of the envelope. The air was near standard conditions so my no means exceptionally dense (Iíve flown this plane many times in much denser air without this happening). I normally top off the tanks after every flight so being at 1/2 fuel was something different and of course a new governor and overhauled prop / hub are different.

I have a call in to the prop shop but was curious if this is common with other RV4s given the geometry of the plane and the chosen power plant.

Thx!
Old 10-16-2020, 06:51 AM

Did you have a particularly high head wind? It has been very windy here lately. Tail flies on airspeed. Additional 10 knots of wind would make it fly a lot earlier.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 10-16-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehrke View Post
Did you have a particularly high head wind? It has been very windy here lately. Tail flies on airspeed. Additional 10 knots of wind would make it fly a lot earlier.
There wasnít really any wind yesterday during the event.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:22 AM

Default 1800 for me

I use 1800 for run up without problems. 2100 RPM on the ground is a lot of power and dramatically increases the chances of damage to prop and/or tailfeathers due to the increased pebble and debris pick up. I set my "Canopy Open" warning at 1900 RPM as I should never see that RPM on the ground during taxi even considering hills. 1800 RPM seems to provide enough power to detect ignition issues during test and prop governing pressure to move the blades. Higher RPMs have not been needed to detect ignition issues and add a great deal of stress to the blades when cycling the propellor.

Last edited by Skysailor : 10-16-2020 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Add additional information
Old 10-16-2020, 07:40 AM

What was your flaps setting?

In an 8 with no rear pax and flaps down the tail will lift.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingJack View Post
What was your flaps setting?

In an 8 with no rear pax and flaps down the tail will lift.
~20 deg in this case
Old 10-16-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
~20 deg in this case
And, I believe, therein lies the problem. Flaps should be full up during run-up.

ANY flap deployment can cause the tail to lift.

And, 1700-1800 rpm should be sufficient for run-up.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>

Last edited by Mel : 10-16-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysailor View Post
I use 1800 for run up without problems. 2100 RPM on the ground is a lot of power and dramatically increases the chances of damage to prop and/or tailfeathers due to the increased pebble and debris pick up. I set my "Canopy Open" warning at 1900 RPM as I should never see that RPM on the ground during taxi even considering hills. 1800 RPM seems to provide enough power to detect ignition issues during test and prop governing pressure to move the blades. Higher RPMs have not been needed to detect ignition issues and add a great deal of stress to the blades when cycling the propellor.
1700 for me! for all the above reasons.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 10-16-2020, 10:00 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Agree 100% that the flaps need to be up, stick back, and anything over about 1900 rpm is excessive for run-up on these plans. You will have to figure out for your airplane what the minimum RPM is for the prop to cycle - our four airplanes with C/S props all have different numbers between 1700 and 1900 rpm - and use that. No point in using more!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-16-2020, 11:52 AM

Thx for the replies folks! Interesting that with the old hub / gov we actually needed over 2000 rpm to get the prop to cycle...now it seems like it will cycle lower which I will implement immediately. Ignition check run up has always been at 1800...maybe I can get the prop to cycle there as well.

Thx