Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2020, 07:40 AM

Default Am I crazy? Building an RV-10

I decided recently to sell my RV-14A and do another project. The -14A is a fantastic airplane, and I enjoyed the build and flying it (>100 hours). I've decided to build an RV-10 for a number of reasons. Of course some of this is just a need (addiction?) for another airplane project, but there are practical considerations as well.

I've been studying some RV-10 build blogs, many posts on VAF, Facebook RV-10 pages etc. I am leaning toward a "simple" build but I suspect I'll eventually get seduced by some (all?) of the extras and goodies - is there a support group for this?

I got lucky and found a QB kit (wings and fuse) available from a builder who ordered but had a change in situation. Stewart will deliver in a couple of weeks or so. I did QB wings and slow build fuse on the -14A. Not sure how I'll do the wiring and panel. I've been considering doing my own wiring (signed up for the next class at AEA). Panel will definitely be G3X touch/Garmin as in my -14A. I'm too far down that road to change, nor would I want to. I'm wondering if Garmin is going to update the PFD/MFD displays in the next year or two - seems like it may be time to improve the processor performance, but otherwise I'd be fine with existing displays...

I'm looking forward to learning from the RV-10 gurus and general experts once again and maybe even contributing a little to the knowledge base (mistakes and pain tend to foster creativity as we all know!).

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020

Last edited by mturnerb : 05-25-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:42 AM

Default Welcome to the -10!

There are quite a few mods that most guys make, here are some:

planearound.com third door latch. It should be STANDARD on all -10's.

Billet trim cable mounts.

McMaster door seals.

Matco brakes. Berringer Brakes are really nice but 3x the price of the Matcos.

Cee Bailey windows and windscreen.

I used the Showplanes cowl and intake. If I were building another -10, I would look seriously at the showplaces fastback mod for the -10. Much nicer lines.

You will NOT have enough holes to run wiring to the panel. Plan on adding more.

SS firewall heat valves.

If considering a yaw damper, put the mount in. much easier to do early on.

Many, many more out there. I think there is a thread here that has a list.

If you are going to build the empennage kit, make SURE you modify the nose of the ribs, otherwise you will get "pimples" in your vertical stab skin when you put it together. Same can be said of horizontal stab, though not to the same extent.

Lots of great info on this forum and others!

RV-10
Phase I as of 12-02-2020

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 05-25-2020, 09:59 AM

Default Congrats!

Turner, as I'm sure you know, the 10 kit is not as refined as the 14 and the cabin cover and doors on the 10 are challenging. Good news is that Synergy now has a shop in Georgia and there are at least 4 RV-10's under construction there now (including mine). So a great deal of experience on site and plenty of airplanes to compare with. Air conditioning, oxygen system, Lightspeed ignition, dual pMags, full SDS EFII, Cee Bailey windows, Showplanes cowls and FastBack mod all on display on different planes. Panels from SteinAir, Aerotronics, Oasis (local shop) as well to look at.

Easy flight from Florida. One RV-10 builder flies his RV-9A up from Ponte Vedra almost weekly.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2 (Honored to be Van's "Miss July" 2021)
RV-10 under construction at Synergy Air South
Old 05-25-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
There are quite a few mods that most guys make, here are some:

planearound.com third door latch. It should be STANDARD on all -10's.

Billet trim cable mounts.

McMaster door seals.

Matco brakes. Berringer Brakes are really nice but 3x the price of the Matcos.

Cee Bailey windows and windscreen.

I used the Showplanes cowl and intake. If I were building another -10, I would look seriously at the showplaces fastback mod for the -10. Much nicer lines.

You will NOT have enough holes to run wiring to the panel. Plan on adding more.

SS firewall heat valves.

If considering a yaw damper, put the mount in. much easier to do early on.

Many, many more out there. I think there is a thread here that has a list.

If you are going to build the empennage kit, make SURE you modify the nose of the ribs, otherwise you will get "pimples" in your vertical stab skin when you put it together. Same can be said of horizontal stab, though not to the same extent.

Lots of great info on this forum and others!
All excellent suggestions Bob. I did Beringer wheels/brakes on the -14A but very expensive so the Matco wheels/brakes sound like a perfect compromise. I'd already decided on the planearound latch for sure, and was leaning to Cee Bailey windows. I did a yaw damper on the -14A so I'm familiar with the install. The rib modification you're referring to - vertical stab? I recall doing some shaping of those in the -14A as part of the plans.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
Old 05-25-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
Turner, as I'm sure you know, the 10 kit is not as refined as the 14 and the cabin cover and doors on the 10 are challenging. Good news is that Synergy now has a shop in Georgia and there are at least 4 RV-10's under construction there now (including mine). So a great deal of experience on site and plenty of airplanes to compare with. Air conditioning, oxygen system, Lightspeed ignition, dual pMags, full SDS EFII, Cee Bailey windows, Showplanes cowls and FastBack mod all on display on different planes. Panels from SteinAir, Aerotronics, Oasis (local shop) as well to look at.

Easy flight from Florida. One RV-10 builder flies his RV-9A up from Ponte Vedra almost weekly.
Thanks Krea. I'm partial to doing it myself, in my garage shop at home. It would be useful to see some of the mods in progress though. Any chance you could connect me with the other builder here in Ponte Vedra?

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
Old 05-25-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnerb View Post
All excellent suggestions Bob. I did Beringer wheels/brakes on the -14A but very expensive so the Matco wheels/brakes sound like a perfect compromise. I'd already decided on the planearound latch for sure, and was leaning to Cee Bailey windows. I did a yaw damper on the -14A so I'm familiar with the install. The rib modification you're referring to - vertical stab? I recall doing some shaping of those in the -14A as part of the plans.
Yes, mainly vertical stab...the nose flange needs to be trimmed.

I found the same, to a smaller extent, on the horizontal stab.

Many, many mods available.

If you are interested, mykitlog.com has all 2600+ hours of my build documented...have a look.

RV-10
Phase I as of 12-02-2020

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 05-25-2020, 03:53 PM

Turner---I dont think you are crazy---I've talked to you many times, and you seem prefectly sane to me!

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 05-25-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post
Yes, mainly vertical stab...the nose flange needs to be trimmed.

I found the same, to a smaller extent, on the horizontal stab.

Many, many mods available.

If you are interested, mykitlog.com has all 2600+ hours of my build documented...have a look.
Link to your kitlog?

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
Old 05-25-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Flightlines View Post
Turner---I dont think you are crazy---I've talked to you many times, and you seem prefectly sane to me!

Tom
But you're crazy too Tom, so of course I sound sane!

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
Old 05-25-2020, 04:04 PM

A couple of cents worth.

The instructions need very, very careful reading. This is my 4th RV build and is so far the most challenging. Like doing a crossword puzzle - you need to get into the mind of the compiler....

Also, way to much assembling and disassembling. I can see it may be part of the 51% thing, but a lot of it could be bypassed.

Usual snafu's in the plans, biggest thing is the lack of explanation of what will happen to assemblies or parts later in the build.

Oh, and the need for some Cleaveland specialty bars, dimples and sets.

Other than that - most excellent ........

So far

Donated in 2020