Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2020, 11:02 AM

Default Cross country trip to replace my Oshkosh trip

This year my 15 year old son and I were planning a "Father/son" trip to Oshkosh in my RV7A. Now that AirVenture has been cancelled, we are still thinking of some kind of flying adventure. We live in New Jersey and we were thinking of a coast to coast trip or something like that, lasting 7-10 days. That being said, anybody that has done a trip like this and wants to share their flight plan and cool destinations or has ideas on where to go would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 05-08-2020, 11:13 AM

the on-airport camping at West Yellowstone (KWYS) was one of my favorite RV trips to date. when I was there 5ish years ago they had free bikes you could take into town (maybe 2 miles), a diner on the field, and a rental car agency in the terminal to rent a car to go around Yellowstone national park. highly recommended!
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log
Old 05-08-2020, 12:04 PM

Out in the western states, be it Montana or west Texas, the summer turbulence can make for a bouncy ride in an RV. Also, read up on mountain flying -- the RVs will have enough performance that many (not necessarily all) density altitude situations can be handled, but there's more to mountain flying than just density altitude.

Have a great trip!

Ed (who used to live out west)
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 05-08-2020, 01:46 PM

Hey JIM, been thinking about going to see the air czar. Don?t tell him though.
N588DF RV12 #336 built, sold and alive and well in New York
N73DF RV12 #244 built, sold and alive and well in Florida
N91 RV RV9 I wish I could say I built this one! Mark Santoleri hit the ball out of the park on this gem.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:07 PM

Look in to visiting Mackinac Island in northern Michigan (pronounced ?mackinaw? - always). Only accessible by boat or airplane. When you land, you will have to walk, take a bike (available), or a horse & buggy. No cars permitted on the island, except a few emergency vehicles. Plan ahead if you want to spend the night there, or bop over to Mackinaw City (KPLN), or St Ignace for more reasonable accommodations. It?s a very ?touristy? place usually, but this year, maybe not so much. Might be the best time to go.
OK, I talked myself in to it. I?ve been there at least a dozen times, but it is really a cool place. Have fun with your son. Sounds like an awesome trip.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 05-08-2020, 02:41 PM

I fly to Mackinac Island regularly, great trip, currently most places on the Island are closed, many hope to Open May 28-29.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:00 PM

I have gone coast to coast many time with my RV-6 over the past 22-years. Almost every airport has something.

I also am thinking of a trip to Sacramento by RV-6 instead of airline. My biggest concern at this time is will I be able to get hotel room at night and meals. COVID-19 has messed a lot of stuff up. Not that concerned about AvGas as most places have self-serve. Once at an airport and fueled, will the normal services be available for travelers to get food and a bed to sleep in?

I hope next month all the VAF members post airport service reports so those that are traveling have some idea of logistics.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post
I have gone coast to coast many time with my RV-6 over the past 22-years. Almost every airport has something.

I also am thinking of a trip to Sacramento by RV-6 instead of airline. My biggest concern at this time is will I be able to get hotel room at night and meals. COVID-19 has messed a lot of stuff up. Not that concerned about AvGas as most places have self-serve. Once at an airport and fueled, will the normal services be available for travelers to get food and a bed to sleep in?

I hope next month all the VAF members post airport service reports so those that are traveling have some idea of logistics.
Hotels and restaurants are not a problem. You may encounter some closures, but there are still many options. Restaurants are takeout only currently.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:30 AM

Were I to try something like that I would attempt to include Mount Rushmore and the Grand Canyon and maybe Meteor Crater.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:18 AM

And if you like airplane camping, Johnson Creek, ID (3U2) can?t be missed. Landing there is challenging so do your research, but the grass strip is as good as they get.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, 24th in the air, >700 hrs
XP-400 Aero Sport Power, replaced with Lyc Thunderbolt 390
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 9/2020