Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2018, 05:44 PM

Thumbs up Buying an RV10 vs Building questions

I am looking at an 2009 RV10 for sale that is 99% of what I had planned to build. I mean it is darn near perfect match - Paint scheme/color, panel, interior, engine, etc are all exactly what I would do (if not much better in some cases). Low time plane in the 500-600 range. Flown often and IFR. The price on this plane is 200K which when I pencil out building my own RV10 with the QB kit, without some of the massive upgrades the guy did on this RV10 for sale... 200K would be the minimum I would expect to spend if I were to build my own RV10 with the QB kit, and it would not have all the upgrades and updates this other guy did! I would say this particular RV10 for sale should be listed at 250 with all the upgrades and updates done to it. I am tempted to buy this plane site unseen but I wouldn't do that. Would get PreBuy and inspect first.

What say the RV10'rs here?

Also, would I be able to do all my own maintenance and repairs even though I did not build the airplane? I would assume inspection required by an AD?
Old 01-18-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longmire View Post
I am looking at an 2009 RV10 for sale that is 99% of what I had planned to build. I mean it is darn near perfect match - Paint scheme/color, panel, interior, engine, etc are all exactly what I would do (if not much better in some cases). Low time plane in the 500-600 range. Flown often and IFR. The price on this plane is 200K which when I pencil out building my own RV10 with the QB kit, without some of the massive upgrades the guy did on this RV10 for sale... 200K would be the minimum I would expect to spend if I were to build my own RV10 with the QB kit, and it would not have all the upgrades and updates this other guy did! I would say this particular RV10 for sale should be listed at 250 with all the upgrades and updates done to it. I am tempted to buy this plane site unseen but I wouldn't do that. Would get PreBuy and inspect first.

What say the RV10'rs here?

Also, would I be able to do all my own maintenance and repairs even though I did not build the airplane? I would assume inspection required by an AD?
Buying is a matter of the heart as much the mind, so I offer no comment on that. As to your last question, you or anyone can work on the plane as much as you desire. Once a year, an annual ?condition inspection? is required, and that needs to be signed off by an A&P (or the original builder, if he has the limited repairman certificate for the plane).
Old 01-18-2018, 06:42 PM

If you want to fly, buy. If you want to build, build.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:05 PM

Sounds to me like you've found the near perfect airplane for yourself. I would not hesitate to consider purchasing this aircraft, Of course upon passing a comprehensive pre-buy inspection.
As said before, you can do any and all maintenance and/or modifications to an experimental amateur-built aircraft. The only thing you can't do is the condition inspection. That must be done by an A&P or the licensed repairman for that particular airplane.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 01-18-2018, 07:07 PM

Not a 10 guy, but . . .

I wanted to be a builder, I became a buyer, I have had a lot of fun maintaining, modifying, and doing condition inspections (under supervision) on my plane.

Give them a fair offer contingent on a pre-buy inspection by a respected RV guy, and let the adventure begin.

You will be happy.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Kent, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Sounds like you have already made up your mind, and are just asking for our "permission" -----------

OK, I give you permission, GO FOR IT!!!!!

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-22-2018, 05:01 PM

Default RV-10 decision time

If I had to do it all again... which would put me in the same scenario your in.. I would probably build. I loved building the plane. I also dont let anyone touch my plane (for maintenance) because I am a little paranoid of "human error". I just dont trust the great work of another builder nor would a "perfect" plane be perfect to me until I completely redid it,"my way" and knew it was safe for my family. (there is a lot more to this than the statement ;-)) which, technically, I couldnt since I didnt build that specific plane. But if none of that matters to you, buy the plane, you will absolutely love it. I have flown many beautiful planes but none have ever given me the enjoyment of my -10.
So if you're a avid builder and want to have the pride of creating a beautiful sample of a -10, build, you'll be able to assure that its safe for the family and know every nut and bolt torque, but otherwise, why wait? get a perfect sample of what you would spend over 1000 hours building (not to mention reading and researching) and about 4-5 years and consuming your life to the project, by buying one already completed to enjoy!!
Whatever you decide, its a win-win!!
Best of success deciding,
or, check out the plane and see if your heart says buy it!!, otherwise you'll know you want to build it!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:10 PM

Get a knowledgeable person to do a prebuy and then if it checks out, you'll be set.

I saw an unfinished RV-10 that someone had bought without that. They did a fair bit of finishing work and bought all the systems, engine, prop, avionics, etc., and then discovered that the airframe was unusable. They took a beating.

Dave
Old 01-23-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
Get a knowledgeable person to do a prebuy and then if it checks out, you'll be set.

I saw an unfinished RV-10 that someone had bought without that. They did a fair bit of finishing work and bought all the systems, engine, prop, avionics, etc., and then discovered that the airframe was unusable. They took a beating.

Dave
Yup. I saw the same unfinished project, in order to offer my opinion, as a 10-builder. Absolutely heart-breaking. Get a pre-buy inspection!
RV-10 - Working on engine / prop installation
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Old 01-23-2018, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

I was the one who inspected the RV-10 that was mentioned above. I felt horribnle for the 2nd buyer, a first-time want-to-be builder who bought it without a prebuy inpsection. It was a huge loss, both financially and emotionally.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft"
www.Baselegaviation.com