- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 PM

Default Help!

Today my RV-7, 912ry. Was tied down on the ramp in Provo Utah, an F18 taxied out and blew my plane up on the left wing tip. Broke off both tie down rings and scraped up the left wing tip. I need an a&p to look it over before I fly it home. Anyone know of an rv knowledgable a&p near PVU? Thanks in advance
Old 05-23-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912ry View Post
Today my RV-7, 912ry. Was tied down on the ramp in Provo Utah, an F18 taxied out and blew my plane up on the left wing tip. Broke off both tie down rings and scraped up the left wing tip. I need an a&p to look it over before I fly it home. Anyone know of an rv knowledgable a&p near PVU? Thanks in advance
Make sure you document what happened and get as much info as you can about the F-18 including tail numbers and squadron. I think the feds should cover any damage you have. You might even hit them up for loss of value due to the damage history. The F-18 actually has fairly small jet blast if you don't choke the nozzles. He should not have had the nozzles closed down if pointing at any light aircraft. You might also find out if they were notified that they damaged a aircraft and if they left without at least discussing the event with airport operations and leaving you some information.

George
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM

There were several witnesses to the event, not me though. Contact information was taken and that's in progress. What I need now is an a&p that can let me know if there is any damage that makes it unsafe to fly. I took lots of photos.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 PM

Good Grief Robert!! Sorry I'm no help; but just want to express I feel for you having to go through such a bad experience. I hope it works out well for you.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Maybe help here.........

http://www.vansairforce.net/rvwp_country.pdf

Bottom of page 36 is Utah.

As I understand it, you do not need an A/P except to sign off the "annual"

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-24-2013, 06:44 AM

Thanks. I figure I need to look at the aft spar attach point, engine/gear mount weld cluster and tires. Any other suggestions?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM

I would call vans and ask them what they suggest
Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Pilots coming from a purely military background may have very little knowledge of their liability in such cases, if it exists at all. It's a very grey area from their point of view I'd guess. I parked my T-38 in a row of GA aircraft at RNO sometime in 1984 while on a Cross Country because that's where the FBO told me to park, and in the military you park where you're told to park. When the time came to leave, I was VERY aware that my exhausts were pointed directly to the line of Cherokees and Cessna's behind me. I asked to be towed out before starting, pointing out the fiberglass bits of the planes behind me to the line guys. They told me they had insurance and it would be fine. Being military, we complied with the local authorities, started up and taxied out as gently as we could and departed.

Totally sucks that you took the brunt of this situation, and I'd bet the military guys would feel terrible if they knew, however chasing them or their unit down to pursue damages may not get you much. Probably should, but sadly I'm doubtful.

Best of luck,
Clay Cook
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Please keep us all posted on what you find and how this shakes out for you!
Building Log: www.mykitlog.com/n539rv
APRS Tracking: aprs.fi/n539rv
2017 Paid
Old 05-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9av8tr View Post
Please keep us all posted on what you find and how this shakes out for you!
Yes, very sorry to hear. But please let us know what comes of the situation for other's future reference. As for relief, I'm not a big lawyer-up kind of guy, but the FBO has some responsibility here IMO.