-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:33 PM

As I read your post I could absolutely see that happening to me and it probably would have crushed my motivation....

Being as I'm active duty USMC, my RV-10 has more miles on the ground than most will probably ever see. I started it in Yuma AZ, and it has been to Norfolk VA, Quantico VA, Jacksonville NC, is currently in Monterey CA, and will be moving to Albany GA sometime next year.

I had it almost fall off the homemade wooden ramps getting it into the back of a Penske truck (I bought a flatbed trailer after that move so I'd never again have to try to get it 5 feet up in the air). I had my wooden wing stands collapse in the back of another Penske while turning a corner before I had it loaded with anything but the wings. Big loud crash, but the only damage was to crinkle the inboard edge of one flap. I've had my helpers disappear several times just as I started sliding it off the trailer, so the bottom tip of my tailcone has some rash from the concrete. I've learned to wrap it in blankets before loading/unloading now...

I'll second the poster who said don't go cheap on transport or anything else that if it fails you're going to do damage to the project. It's a bummer when anything you put that much work into gets damaged, but I'm glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Good luck on getting it fixed and getting back on track.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 40032
Old 06-04-2013, 03:15 PM

Smile Life goes on

Quick update.

- Rear Step. Minor bend up. No damage to support structure. Leave it and let it bend back down with use or consider straightening.
- Left door window. Minor scuffing. Scratch polish kit arrived.
- Rocker cover - new one ordered from Aerosport
- Exhaust dents. Limited to left tailpipe rear of muffler. Local company repairing.
- Skin damage. Area cut out and underlying structure inspected - no damage. Repair scheme agreed with LAA inspector and paperwork going in later this week for approval.

Considering the fuselage was on its side in my drive on Sunday, I feel remarkably lucky. Total cost will be about $300 and half a day's work for 2.

From feeling totally sick, I now have the HS and VS fitted and am moving on. Being at the airfield is great - lots going on. Much more fun than being in the garage. Kemble is one of the major GA fields in the UK. Will have the wings on by the end of the week.

The support from everybody has been great - be careful out there!
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made