Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Default Fuel Lube, and tighten them like tapping threads.

I use fuel lube and have no leaks. Unless they match up perfectly in orientation the first time you tighten them, which is rare, you will need to "work" them into position. This is done by backing them off a quarter turn, then tighten, then back off, then tighten, just like when using a tap for threading. You may need to remove them and clean the threads, then try again. Once you get it into position do not back it off or it may leak.

You may find a fitting that will not allow you to get it into position. Try another fitting. They are not all machined alike.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Thanks, Jon... what you described is exactly what I did. When I did it originally, one leaked, so I tightened it pressed on the pedals a bunch, with no problems. After I did the first engine start last weekend, though, I noticed a couple drops on the floor from both sides, so I was probably pushing harder.

I'll take them out and clean the threads, but will be looking to use something more "robust" on the threads this time.

-Rob
EAA Chapter 1440
Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Default Bakerseal

I had heard that Bakerseal should be used on brake lines and E-Z Turn on fuel lines.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../bakerseal.php
Old 01-26-2011, 03:37 PM

Default Make sure it is that side of the fitting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10Rob View Post
Thanks, Jon... what you described is exactly what I did. When I did it originally, one leaked, so I tightened it pressed on the pedals a bunch, with no problems. After I did the first engine start last weekend, though, I noticed a couple drops on the floor from both sides, so I was probably pushing harder.

I'll take them out and clean the threads, but will be looking to use something more "robust" on the threads this time.

-Rob
I had the same thing and thought it was the pipe thread but it actually was the tubing/b-nut fitting. It is very hard to tell where the leak comes from as the fluid can run down and pool around the pipe thread making it look like it is the culprit.
Also, the master cylinders can leak a touch from the seal when you first start messing with them. I had a small leak on one cylinder but after a few pumps it cleared itself up.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:41 PM

Default In the same boat

Like the OP, I used EX-turn. The left master cylinder leaks at the fitting. I have not installed the forward baggage floor and have great access, and I can see the fluid coming out around the fitting, so I know this is where it is coming from. I drained the brakes and tried permatex with the same problem. After doing a few searches here, it seems Loctite 567 or Bakerseal are the preferred sealants, but it also seems that several folks have had success with EZ-Turn. I'm going to give it one more shot and it if it isn't working then, I'm going to swap the MC out and see if that does it.

By the way, I went ahead and swapped sealant on all NPT fitting on the MC. This is still the only one leaking.

Also like you, I have also gotten quite good at filling the brake lines.....

Barrett IO-390
WW200RV
FLYING!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 AM

Teflon tape isnt a good choice, for all the above reasons. BUT, NPT sealer with teflon ( the paste) works well. When you are doing your mock up assembly, mark the cylinders where your AN822-4D's should point (sharpie). Seal the fitting, ans after hand snug, you should be able to get them to tighten up and index to the mark. Be careful on aluminum to aluminum, and really cranking on them---yep you CAN break a fitting, or strip the cylinder.

Ive been using this teflon paste for years in alot higher pressure applications than RV brake systems with no issues. Its all in the preparation.
Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Default pipe threads

This seems to be a never ending subject, I have been working around aircraft for 40 years and have always used fuel lube on pipe threads. This was from instruction by my first boss who was an experienced and military trained AME, A&P. I learned years ago that you do not put aluminum pipe fittings together dry unless you want to order new fittings. I feel that most times pipe fittings leak they are not installed tight/deep enough. I also think that pipe fittings seal because of their design, taper, and not because they have a compound of some sort applied. The reason for applying fuel lube, EZ seal or whatever you choose is to lubricate the thread and allow it to go together further and tighten/seal deeper into the taper.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 PM

Default Leak fixed

My hangar neighbor (Zenith builder - DAR inspection this week!) had some Bakerseal that he used on his plane. He got it from Aircraft Spruce and is enough to last several lifetimes. It looks very similar to the paste compound you can get in the plumbing section at any hardware store, but says specifically that it is made for use with hydraulic fluid (and many other things.)

I took the leaking fitting out and cleaned it very well with a brush and some solvent. I also cleaned the female thread in the same manner until they were shiny. I then applied a liberal amount of the paste to all but the first thread and installed it. Reconnected everything and filled it.....Voila! Leak free.

On to the next item on the list....

Barrett IO-390
WW200RV
FLYING!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Default One leakes...

What a pain. The bottom fitting on one of my pedals leaks! I originally used Fuel lube. Then I tried permatex #2, but it still leaks. And I've not figured out how to efficiently put the brake fluid back in. Painful, painful!

I think I'll try Bakerseal. AircraftSpruce doesn't seem to carry it anymore. Where did you get it from?

Michael-

p.s. Just doing a little complaining.
RV-9A Flying 340 hours!
Last Donation: December 2020

Last edited by Michael Burbidge : 08-09-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:52 PM

If your NPT thread is leaking, I believe it is 1/8" NPT pipe. A typical tap and die set has this tap in the set. Thread it in and turn maybe 1/8 turn and then see if it seals. EZ turn is a lubricant not a sealant, so go back to #2 permatex or #3 which ever you have on hand. Sometimes a rapid production threading for NPT leaves an axial ridge line where the tap stops and that is where the leak initiates. Especially if it is a single point threading tool. Just honking on it with lubricant might work but it also might break the housing. It IS tapered! So . . . not recommended.

Good luck

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.