Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > COMM
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
Several on the CT forum had the same problem. It seemed to be determined by who you talked to. Those that talked to Frank got the run around. If they talked to Gary like I did then there was no problem.
Guess I got Frank--had a "pleasant" 15 minute argument as I was looking to directly send in 2 SL40s. He said 1) Garmin does not post these SBs to the public 2) they MUST go through a dealer. Even if we are the installer he stated the philosophy of Garmin is that they get too many calls in tech support asking simplistic setup issues after unit returns directly to consumers.
Regardless of easy setup of SL40, he was adamant about dealer only. At first I wasn't going to bother with sending it back given the lack of explanation about this SB but eventually caved and took it to local avionics shop
Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 AM

Yeah, I got Frank. Unfortunately my nearest avionics dealer is over 100 miles away and my plane isn't flying yet. I'm not driving 100 miles just to get an RMA. Frank's excuse that too many of us call tech support is dumb; first place I would call is the place that sold me the gear, not Garmin.

I'm waiting on Stark Avionics (originally sold me the unit) to call me back. If they can't work it out with Garmin to get me an RMA where I can ship it back then I'm not going to comply with the SB. And I'm going to make every effort in the future to give my business to companies that are more friendly to experimental aviation.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032
Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSeipel View Post
Yeah, I got Frank. Unfortunately my nearest avionics dealer is over 100 miles away and my plane isn't flying yet. I'm not driving 100 miles just to get an RMA. Frank's excuse that too many of us call tech support is dumb; first place I would call is the place that sold me the gear, not Garmin.

I'm waiting on Stark Avionics (originally sold me the unit) to call me back. If they can't work it out with Garmin to get me an RMA where I can ship it back then I'm not going to comply with the SB. And I'm going to make every effort in the future to give my business to companies that are more friendly to experimental aviation.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032
I absolutely agree, I felt like I was talking to the government. Last Garmin radio that I buy. Funny part is that they actually pay the dealers an hour labor for this "service". Apparently saving money and satisfying customers is less important than an unlikely extra phone call from an owner bothering them with a setup question.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 AM

Default Thanks for posting

I took my SL30 to a Garmin dealer today. Will get upgraded at no cost.

Quote:
Is everyone aware of Garmin Service Bulletin 0921 for the SL30, SL40, and GNS 480(CNX80) comm radio spurious emmissions? Deadline for coverage under warranty is 9/30/10.
RV 10 - 313RT
Beechrv9a@hotmail.com
Old 09-28-2010, 12:31 PM

Default Where are they located?

Quote:
Bevan,

Go to http://ctflier.com/ and look under Avionics then General Avionics. You can download it there. It is not on the Garmin website. Nobody flying CT's knew about it and neither did the CT manufacturer.

Living near Garmin here in Oregon I was able to handcarry mine in and get one day turnaround.
Thanks. (misc. verbage to post)

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechrv9a View Post
I took my SL30 to a Garmin dealer today. Will get upgraded at no cost.
Took mine in today too. The unit is being shipped today. Approx 4 day turnaround. No hassle.

Thanks for posting the SB.
RV-6, sold, 820 hrs of fun.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:09 PM

I talked with Garmin earlier today and got the same story from "Frank", or whoever I talked to. One wrinkle was that he said the SL-40 could come directly from the customer, but the SL-30 had to come through a dealer because the SL-30 is more "complex". I assured him that I was the manufacturer of the airplane and, in fact, had already removed the unit from the airplane. But, it was to no avail.
So, I called Stein and got his usual cheerful and great customer service. He will provide me with the RMA and I will send the unit to Garmin. Unfortunately, it will have to be sent from Garmin to Stein and then on to me when it is done.

I really like the Garmin equipment in my airplane, but it isn't always fun doing business with them.
VAF Paid 1/21/2021

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 09-28-2010, 05:36 PM

Default Same experience

Got an RA over the phone from Pacific Coast Avionics while they called tech support with my serial number. Garmin will let me drop it off in Salem at their counter. However, they ship it back to the dealer. At least I can fly to pick it back up as PCA is on an airfield.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 AM

I took my two SL-30's in to the local avionics shop yesterday to get the RMA's. While she was talking to Frank or Gary, I learned the following:

1. The affected units can bleed over to adjoining frequencies while transmitting. The SB fixes that.

2. They do not plan to extend the deadline beyond 30 Sep.

3. If you miss the deadline Garmin will charge $800 to comply with the SB. I am not sure if that is for 1 or 2 radios, but a lot of money either way.

Jim Berry
RV-10 Phase 1
Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 AM

Default Somebody needs to throw this on the home page...

Before it is too late. Had I not accidently bumped into this issue here in the forums, I may have never known. Now, that might not be a bad thing, but now that I know, I have to do something about it.
A few days later, it would have cost me $800. I am driving my unit to them this morning, one day ahead of the deadline.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
RV1 - Proud Pilot.