- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 PM

Default Building while Serving

I am at a stage where I keep having negative thoughts and I guess I just need a little pick me up.

My project is all packed up and already on a truck on its way to Ft. Lewis WA where I will be stationed come January but I will be reporting at Ft. Lee on Thursday. I keep thinking about my project, At first I envision building the Fuselage and how much I am going to enjoy the rest of the airplane but then I get these thoughts of how I am not going to have the time to even touch it let alone finish building. I plan on keeping it at a hanger which will make things even more of a challenge due to the travel time but I just hope that the enjoyment I have gotten out of the build through up through the wings will be enough to allow me to find the time to continue building.

What I am trying to get at is are there any current Active Duty Military members building at this time. If so are you able to find and devote enough time to the build?

-david
Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 AM

Default Building while serving

First of all, thank you for serving.

Although I have not built an RV, I was an Army 2LT many moons ago and would tell you that it's going to be a matter of time management (that's true no matter what the hobby is at this point in your life.)

The bad news is that the Army is not a regular job so the demands on your time are great, therefore I would expect the pace of your build to slow somewhat. And at this point in your career, the investments you make in terms of time spent learning your craft will pay dividends in the long run.

But there is absolutely no reason that you can't continue building it on your off duty time and make good progress. Having something to do that does not involve the Army will actually be healthy for you!

Good luck and God Bless!

Scott
(U.S. Army 87-08)

Happy to be a 2012 and 2013 VAF supporter
Old 09-07-2010, 06:05 AM

Default What Scott said..

When I was stationed at Ft.Gordon, Augusta, Ga, back in the sixties, I found a model airplane shop and their club. Off times were spent building airplanes and most weekends flying them at their field.

The same could very well be said about building an RV...just bigger parts.

The change of venue, as Scott pointed out, really recharges your batteries and later, flying lessons at the Ft. Gordon flying club were started and shortly thereafter, my PPL.

Best,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:48 AM

David,
I started building while I was still on active duty back in 2006. Needless to say I'm still building directly because of the time I spent deployed and other job related activities. You just have to factor in that you will be a part time builder and be prepared for it--it can be done!. The parts won't go bad so build when you can, mothball when you can't. Evenually you'll have a plane that will make all the trials and tribulations worth. IOW, keep your eye on the prize and you won't be dissapointed no matter how long it takes. Hooah?

HOOAH!
WAR EAGLE!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Default Building and serving

David:

I rebuilt a "basket case" Aeronca Champ while on active duty stationed at Hickam AFB, HI.

During the later part of the the rebuild, I had the use of an unused building on base. My next door neighbor in Base Housing worked in the Real Estate Office on base.

Although not quite "official", I had the use of that building for a year or so.

See the Real Estate office (or the Army equivalent) when you get to Ft. Lewis and see if they might have a similar small building that they're not going to use for a while. It may be a possibility.
"Bucket List" checkoff in progress!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:15 AM

David,

I'm an active duty Marine building an RV-10 that I started in 2003. My kit number is 40032 which should give you an idea of how long I've been at it. I'm about 2 years from flying; that's 2 years of building time not counting the deployed time that will get stuffed in there. I started out on the 3 year plan and am now working towards being done in 10 years. If that doesn't work out, then I'll call it the 15 year plan.

I've accomplished 4 PCS moves with the kit during this time including one cross-country from Yuma to Norfolk. An unfortunate incident with a wing stand that broke in the moving truck gave me the opportunity to re-build one of my flaps. My job is such that the only building time I get is on the weekends. I'm also getting ready to head to Afghanistan for 8 months which will be another "break" in my building.

Although I wish every day that it was ready to fly, I can't complain. Because it's taken so long I've managed to pay cash for everything. I've learned a lot of new skills and met a lot of great people. I've also been able to learn from the experiences of people who are building much faster than me. I've been able to take advantages of the advances in experimental avionics over the past several years.

There is no reason you cannot be active duty and still accomplish your dream of building an airplane. It'll just take a little longer and you'll have to do some juggling with your time.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032
Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 AM

PJ,
What part of the kit are you on right now? I live in Montclair so we're most likely within 15 mins of each other. We need to get together and drink a few beers while swapping stories. Ever been to Wine Styles in Montclair?

I'm an Air Force civilian now (retired from AD in '08) working in the Pentagon and living the dream.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Default Active Air Force

Im on active duty Air Force.

TDY's, deployments and PCS are my biggest challenge. I'll be moving a 90% complete project next summer.

But I wouldnt change it if I could.

I could never get anything done if I had to travel to the airport. 20 min in the garage every day has been my pace. And after a tough day on the staff, putsing on the plane is a great stress reliever.
RV-7A, Aerosport O-360, WW200RV
Advanced Flight 5400
Avidyne IFD440
Paint by planeschemer.com
Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 PM

When you guys PCS how do you go about getting the moving companies to move the project, the paperwork I was reading as well as the lady who came out to estimate said they do not move airplanes so I had to tell a small fib and call my completed wing and tail "art". Also did you crate/box it all yourself or did u let the movers do it?

-david
Old 09-07-2010, 04:18 PM

Default Langley AFB, VA

David-

All I can say is PRESS! I have the distinction of having the only garage in base housing with an airplane project in it. It's kind of nice having F-22 drivers come over and express awe and envy!

My project started in 2005, has survived 2 Iraq tours and countless TDY's, one PCS (with at least one more prior to finishing), three kids under the age of 9, and one understanding wife. As a MAJCOM staff weenie, I'm on the road alot, but I try to touch something everyday that I'm home...sometimes it's just to fondle some parts for a few minutes....but it helps keep me focused. Just eat the elephant one bite at a time!

The only thing better than building an airplane is having another one to fly while your building...maybe someday I'll get there!

Todd
MAJ (LT COL select)
Air Combat Command
A-10 Weapon System Team
www.mykitlog.com/toddav8r