Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 AM

Here's the hatch idea Steve proposed.

The hinges tie the floor together, so no stiffeners seem to be necessary and you can cut in a bigger hatch. The wire retention is via a not-quite-90 degree bend where the handle end goes through the little retention hole. Just squeeze the wire between thumb and forefinger to insert. I joggled the fore and aft ends of the hatch plate so they rest on top of the floor panel. Note the opposing hinge selection; guarantees the hatch only fits one way, so no fiddling around back in the hole when you're mad about a dead battery <g>

Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 AM

Default Photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
I'll have to search for photos Dan, but i used the Piper single-pole plug that Bob Knuckoll's has a nice write-up for (Check his web site). I mounted on the bottom of the fuselage, just to the left of my battery - a very short cable run (about 8 inches). Just put a doubler plate on the skin and you'll be good to go. I mounted the external power relay on the battery tray.

Many, if not most of the ideas I have used I have seen on, or have been inspired by, things I have seen on other people's planes - I try to give back to the community those things that people have given to me!

Paul
Paul,
I'd be interested in seeing photos too. I have contemplated this mod, and it seems pretty simple.

Also nice work by everyone on thier battery hatches! Thanks for sharing. I was on the fence about placing the battery in the back and this was one of the reasons and this helps me out.
RV-8 'Contrary Mary' flying
N784DE S/N #82614

www.fixedwingbuddha.com
Follow me on Facebook

Last edited by panhandler1956 : 03-24-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandler1956 View Post
Paul,
I'd be interested in seeing photos too. I have contemplated this mod, and it seems pretty simple.

Also nice work by everyone on thier battery hatches! Thanks for sharing. I was on the fence about placing the battery in the back and this was one of the reasons and this helps me out.
Brent

I just finished making my external plug, but I put mine on the right upper floor panel under the right armrest (opposite panel as fuel selector). I put mine there, so I could jump start on external if needed and then it would be easy to unplug and hand/throw the cable off. It is also a relatively short run to my DC bus interconnect on the right gear tower. I can post picts if anyone is interested.
IO-360A3B6D, WW 200RV
Old 03-25-2008, 11:06 PM

Default pics please?

I would love some pics?
Thanks for the info, that helps alot.
N784DE S/N #82614

www.fixedwingbuddha.com
Follow me on Facebook
Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 AM

Here you go.
The hole and guard is for a 3 position switch, GRND PWR ON - OFF - CHARGE.

Hopefully you will find that helpful.
IO-360A3B6D, WW 200RV
Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM

Default Piper jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
I'll have to search for photos Dan, but i used the Piper single-pole plug that Bob Knuckoll's has a nice write-up for (Check his web site). I mounted on the bottom of the fuselage, just to the left of my battery.
Paul
The Piper plug is a COLE HERSHE sp! part that NAPA carries. It is good but heavy. Go to a welding shop and look at the leads on small MILLER welders. They are a taper fit, lite and very compact..........
Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 AM

Default Much obliged

Thanks Wade, that helps alot.
Regards,
N784DE S/N #82614

www.fixedwingbuddha.com
Follow me on Facebook
Old 08-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Opulence, I has it...

Resurrecting another old thread...I'm trying to finish all these little projects inside the fuse BEFORE I paint, this one is on the list.

I was considering a double hinge/double door, one on the horizontal face and one on the vertical face. They would be connected at the 90 degree point with a hinge and would swing on a second hinge and lay flat on the lower shelf when open. It would latch toward the aft edge of the horizontal shelf.

Anyone try this and have pics? Thanks!

Joe
DFW, VAF #17

SOLD
Old 08-30-2009, 11:11 PM

Default More Battery door ideas

Read this thread too...

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=33510

Barrett IO-390
WW200RV
FLYING!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 02:43 AM

As ever, an alternative point of view

There are 2 things under that set of covers. Battery discussed above... In the build / test fly / 2 years / ~230hrs / 400 flights, we have had 1 Battery issue - over-playing with Avionics drained it, and it needed recharging. We have a charging lead / plug permanently fitted, so hook up charger, wait awhile and problem solved.

The second is the Elevator Bellcrank, and furthermore, access to the whole rear fuselage. This needs to be inspected / worked on closely at the end of the build / test fly process, and regularly during maintenance e.g. Annual. Whilst a "hatch" might let you look at the bellcrank, it will not be as effective as just taking out the panels, nor give the same visibility to the whole area for damage / loose articles / corrosion and cleaning it out.

My point - do not feel you "need" this hatch - think through exactly how you will run the project. I am sure some will decide the hatch worthwhile, I am clear it is not for us... Our inspector and us need those panels out annually, and on current experience, we need access to the battery less often than that

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ