Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2020, 09:33 PM

dupe...sorry

Last edited by MacCool : 12-09-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:10 AM

Thatís good to know. Just havenít been in cold weather. The work Iím doing isnít just for this trip but for future ones as well. I have some down time from work over the holidays so Iím able to get some work done and the mods are easy and just a few hundred to buy and install. The temp this week was 28 in the morning and my cabin heat doesnít work the greatest so thatís why Iím installing a second muff. Maybe that will help. Also I have a sliding canopy and itís not as tight as a tip up. I have some draft from the back that comes through the track.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:23 AM

Default +1 MacCool

Just last week, I slid canopy closed looked for gaps in canopy and placed fuzzy side Velcro on skins. Nice tip. Filled the gap, looks ok, and sure stopped the breeze on the back of my neck. I wouldnít think twice about the trip and temps other than cabin temps sans any mods. Leave midday after temps warm up some. What breed of dog are you picking up ? Enjoy!
Old 12-10-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1166 View Post
Just last week, I slid canopy closed looked for gaps in canopy and placed fuzzy side Velcro on skins. Nice tip. Filled the gap, looks ok, and sure stopped the breeze on the back of my neck. I wouldn’t think twice about the trip and temps other than cabin temps sans any mods. Leave midday after temps warm up some. What breed of dog are you picking up ? Enjoy!
There a couple of threads here on slider-sealing that are pretty good. I haven't implemented them yet because I haven't been cold, but I do have the velcro strips sitting around

Last edited by MacCool : 12-10-2020 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:56 AM

German Short-hair Pointer (GSP) Thanks for the tips on the slider. I have been thinking of ways to stop the breeze. its real tight everywhere but in the middle where the track is.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:00 PM

My vernatherm does not open until 175f I have 2 heat muffs and I donít even bring a jacket until temps are below -10c . My coldest takeoff was at -32c in a tomahawk. That was cold. The rv is too warm inside with the cabin heat full on. I open both vents even in winter, though the vents are a bit smaller coming from a lancair. I would worry about your temps there.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N63WA View Post
I currently have a 6-A with a 0-320 with carb and live in southeast ga. I recently purchased a puppy from a kennel in Odessa Missouri. I have never flown in really cold weather before and was looking for advice on the temps that i need to be looking for as far as the oil and cht. The pup needs to be picked up after Christmas. Im a low time pilot with less than 200 hrs. Im just worried about the cold weather flying.
You maybe pleasantly surprised at you increased performance in colder weather. Make you think you got an O360.

MO is not too cold, but then I am from MN now living in MO. I would be more worried about fast moving rain/sleet changing to snow weather forecast than the temps.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 12-14-2020, 06:55 PM

Default Send the shutter back

Hello my friend...I regularly commute to the same area for work from Texas. My 9A originated from just west of your destination. You will not need to worry about the engine getting too cold without the shutter. As one poster described, you will love the performance. Hope the GS Pointer works out to be the best companion ever. My wife gave me one for a wedding present and he is long gone. The best dog bird dog I have ever been around. Good Luck!