Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Flight Testing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9builder View Post
Interesting theory, but the reason for the restrictions might be to keep the local homeowners happy. I learned to fly at an airport that allowed T&Gs during the day on weekdays when many people were at work, but not in the evening Monday thru Friday or any time on weekends when many residents were at home enjoying their backyards.
It's possible, but taxi backs are allowed and all of the students with the FBO flight school do that. I suppose it is possible that the instructors are also taking them to another airport to do T&G's, as I didn't do my training there.

other restrictions, like minimum altitude before x wind turn and preferred runway use are there to keep neighbors happy.

Larry
Old 10-29-2020, 08:53 AM

Default Oh that's why

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
Currently my garage

Airport in question here is SVRA.

Would be happy to base anywhere between skypark and spanish fork. If anyone knows of a hangar coming up for sale at skypark or kspk, please let me know

After looking at this I can understand them not allowing Phase 1 test flights from that airport.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/So...4d-111.9923115
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 10-29-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-mike View Post
If you ask enough people, someone will say “no”.
Propose an area to the FSDO. Mark it on a sectional, (and try to include a couple other airports since it gets boring and maybe cheap gas!). Know the guidelines for a test area and work it out.
If they say “yes”, fly it. If they say no, they will need to tell you why. Go from there.
Always strive to make it easy for them by being prepared and having something for them to file in the records.
Completely agree. I suggest not talking to FSDO. Work with your DAR. They approve your limitations not the FSDO.
My airport is under a class B 1700 ft MSL (1200 agl) layer and the pattern on one side is right up against class B to surface. Airport is surrounded by houses in all directions for 5 miles. I proposed a corridor out from airport over least populated route and he approved it. I did first flight circling the airport at 1700 ft.
Paid dues yearly since 2007

Last edited by plehrke : 10-29-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
Federally funded airports may have less ability to impose unique rules or risk having their funding pulled is what I have been told.
There was a time when I was spending 20 hours a week in defense of my airport. Unfortunately, the FAA Airports Compliance Manual was required reading. See Chapter 14, notably 14.3:

https://www.faa.gov/airports/resourc...liance_5190_6/

My guess is the airport sponsor has already addressed a Phase 1 ban with the local FSDO. If not, the OP would need to do it, which would burn time. Meanwhile the prohibition stands. If the FAA ultimately rules against the sponsor, they won't "pull funding". They will simply make compliance a condition in the next funding application.

Note the specific prohibition against exceptions. The FAA will not allow the sponsor to enforce a rule if the sponsor grants exception to any user. It's all or nothing, everyone the same. In this case, posting a rule and granting an exception to the OP would be the violation of sponsor agreement, not the rule itself.

You run a repair station, so you know the deal about regulations

FAA Regulation / Part 0, Section 000 (a) 1 (c)

Section I: No pilot or pilots, or person or persons acting on the direction or suggestion or supervision of a pilot or pilot may try, or attempt to try or make, or make attempt to try to comprehend or understand any or all, in whole or in part of the herein mentioned, Aviation Regulations, except as authorized by the administrator or an agent appointed by, or inspected by, the Administrator.

Section II: If a pilot, or group of associate pilots becomes aware of, or realized, or detects, or discovers, or finds that he or she, or they, are or have been beginning to understand the Aviation Regulations, they must immediately, within three (3) days notify, in writing, the Administrator.

Section III: Upon receipt of the above-mentioned notice of impending comprehension, the Administrator shall immediately rewrite the Aviation Regulations in such a manner as to eliminate any further comprehension hazards.

Section IV: The Administrator may, at his or her discretion, require the offending pilot or pilots to attend remedial instruction in Aviation Regulations until such time that the pilot is too confused to be capable of understanding anything.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:09 PM

I should start phase 1 pretty soon and moved to Bountifull Skypark because they donít allow it out of South Valley. I talked to the FSDO office last week and they will not let me fly into Salt Lake, South Valley, or Tooele while under phase 1.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:38 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I hate to agree with authorities....but that is a particularly “embedded” airport - I flew a Cassutt for a magazine test that was based there, and asked the owner to ferry it to Tooele (where I flew it) because the airspace (and ground space) was really tight around U42.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-30-2020, 09:56 AM

Default Things change

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZetting View Post
I should start phase 1 pretty soon and moved to Bountifull Skypark because they donít allow it out of South Valley. I talked to the FSDO office last week and they will not let me fly into Salt Lake, South Valley, or Tooele while under phase 1.
Things must have changed since it became Salt Lake #2, I did my phase 1 out of South Valley (2008), designated area was west of the airport and a narrow lane between the lake and the MOA to Wendover and could fly the valley by Tooele. Wonder why it changed, too much new construction in west valley?
Figs