VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #11  
Old 09-29-2020, 09:24 AM
Tankerpilot75's Avatar
Tankerpilot75 Tankerpilot75 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 586
Default Thanks for your comments

I appreciate everyoneís comments. Iím in the process of filing a claim with USAA but my deductible is $1,000 and they wonít cover anything aircraft specific. Global said they might work with me on a few aircraft specific items but Iím not sure a claim there is worth it for the few dollars it would recover. I just moved from AIG to Global last spring and Iíd hate to have a small value claim impact my renewal.

WiFi cameras and monitoring is not an option. Very poor coverage at my hangar. I will check into a trail camera and see what they cost.

I hate thieves and am beginning to think pawn shops are a big part of the problem too! With out a ready buyer this type of theft would be less prevalent.
__________________
Jim Harris, ATP, T38, EC/KC-135A/E/R, 2008 RV7A, 2nd owner, N523RM (2015)
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Aerotronics panel with Dual GRT Horizon WS, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level, Electric trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to WS, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, New TS Flightline hoses, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-29-2020, 09:30 AM
sailvi767 sailvi767 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 1,264
Default

eBay and craigslist are the modern fences. Our airport just had 3 430ís stolen last week at the flight school. We can all do our part by asking questions when purchasing avionics or equipment. If the price is to good to be true itís probably stolen.
__________________
RV-6 sold
F-1 Rocket
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-29-2020, 10:48 AM
SFSA1's Avatar
SFSA1 SFSA1 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: West Palm Beach, Florida
Posts: 75
Default

Great advice all around. We have cameras, motion detector lights and a couple of dogs. The idea of signs are great as well as a current inventory of items. Please document your items with videos or photos.

Truly, if someone wants to get in they will. Hope for the best and plan for the worst is all you can do.


I am sorry this happen.
__________________
Kim
561-396-9211
kim@sfsportaviation.com
www.sfsportaviation.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-29-2020, 11:19 AM
zmatt zmatt is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: OK
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
My home is almost an hourís drive to the El Reno Airport.
Sorry to hear about your tools.

I wonder if the burglars spotted your hangar at the fly in a few weeks back?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2020, 11:34 AM
climberrn's Avatar
climberrn climberrn is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 589
Default

Sorry to hear about your loss.

There is a company called Wyze that sells a cheap camera that has a SIM card for data. I donít have any experience with that particular model, but it is cheap enough you might give it a try. Their WiFi model works very well.
__________________
Joel

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-29-2020, 02:56 PM
rleffler's Avatar
rleffler rleffler is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Delaware, OH (KDLZ)
Posts: 4,220
Default

I have a Verizon MiFi and a Ring camera at the hangar. It works pretty good. I half to throw a towel over it when Iím there working or it constantly sends alerts about hangar activity.
__________________
Bob Leffler
N410BL - RV10 Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-29-2020, 03:08 PM
9GT's Avatar
9GT 9GT is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 2,074
Default

You folks with hangers that have internet available and allow you to change or add additional door locks are fortunate. We have no internet where I am at and the door locks are what management supplies. They want access to your hanger 24/7 for various reasons. I have been thinking about installing an outside security camera, and then a hidden one inside. The outside one MIGHT deter a thief, but if it doesn't, the one inside may capture an image of him/her. Our power gate to the hanger area has been so problematic that its now left in the open position. My hanger rent is so cheap that I do not complain.
__________________
David C.
Howell, MI
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2020
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-29-2020, 03:20 PM
rleffler's Avatar
rleffler rleffler is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Delaware, OH (KDLZ)
Posts: 4,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
You folks with hangers that have internet available and allow you to change or add additional door locks are fortunate. We have no internet where I am at and the door locks are what management supplies. They want access to your hanger 24/7 for various reasons. I have been thinking about installing an outside security camera, and then a hidden one inside. The outside one MIGHT deter a thief, but if it doesn't, the one inside may capture an image of him/her. Our power gate to the hanger area has been so problematic that its now left in the open position. My hanger rent is so cheap that I do not complain.
My MiFi from Verizon costs about $20/month which provides WiFi service within the hangar. My Ring camera service is bundled in the alarm service at the house, so it doesnít have an additional service fee. It sits in the back of the hangar and has a clear view of the door. Even if the thief steals the camera, their photo is already stored in the cloud by the time they get to the back of the hangar.

Actually my primary reason was to let me know when anyone from the city or airport staff enters the hangar when Iím not around.

I can get a view from my cell, ipad, tv, echo show, and several other devices. It wonít stop a theft, but the police will appreciate the video you can provide. Although the ring camera does have two way audio. Yelling remotely might scare a thief off.

I also use an Amazon power plug to turn on and off my engine heater remotely via the MiFi too. It works pretty good. I like it much better than a Switchbox, which the 4G version gave me nothing but issues.
__________________
Bob Leffler
N410BL - RV10 Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-29-2020, 04:23 PM
9GT's Avatar
9GT 9GT is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 2,074
Default

Thanks for the info Bob. I will look into the Verizon MiFi for sure. I am getting paranoid that someone is going to clean me out one day. Lots of meth heads in the county I hanger at, and the airport is in city limits where a lot of them live. All the years I have hangered and the amount of time I spend there, I only seen a PO cruise by once checking things out. If we had an airport in the city I worked for, I would have set up a mini precinct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
My MiFi from Verizon costs about $20/month which provides WiFi service within the hangar. My Ring camera service is bundled in the alarm service at the house, so it doesnít have an additional service fee. It sits in the back of the hangar and has a clear view of the door. Even if the thief steals the camera, their photo is already stored in the cloud by the time they get to the back of the hangar.

Actually my primary reason was to let me know when anyone from the city or airport staff enters the hangar when Iím not around.

I can get a view from my cell, ipad, tv, echo show, and several other devices. It wonít stop a theft, but the police will appreciate the video you can provide. Although the ring camera does have two way audio. Yelling remotely might scare a thief off.

I also use an Amazon power plug to turn on and off my engine heater remotely via the MiFi too. It works pretty good. I like it much better than a Switchbox, which the 4G version gave me nothing but issues.
thank
__________________
David C.
Howell, MI
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2020
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-29-2020, 04:42 PM
xblueh2o xblueh2o is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
eBay and craigslist are the modern fences. Our airport just had 3 430ís stolen last week at the flight school. We can all do our part by asking questions when purchasing avionics or equipment. If the price is to good to be true itís probably stolen.
I remember years ago talking to a radio shop owner once. To give you an idea how long ago it was, the Bendix/King Silver Crown radios were just becoming all the rage. Anyway, the guy at the radio shop told the story where a thief had gone to aircraft A, stolen the radios by slipping them out of the rack, then walked over to aircraft B that had the same radios and replaced the aircraft B radios with the stolen radios from aircraft A. Owner of aircraft A reports stolen radios while Owner of aircraft B has no clue something is amiss. Thief sells aircraft B radios and everything looks OK because the actual owner of the radios hasn't reported them as stolen. It was only discovered when the owner of aircraft B had some radio work done and when they pulled the units from the racks the N number for aircraft A was written on the radio cases. Since they were all form the same field they started to figure it out.
__________________
Sam
RV-8 with the Showplanes Fastback conversion
Emp completed except for glass work
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.