- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:24 AM

Default Thanks for your comments

I appreciate everyoneís comments. Iím in the process of filing a claim with USAA but my deductible is $1,000 and they wonít cover anything aircraft specific. Global said they might work with me on a few aircraft specific items but Iím not sure a claim there is worth it for the few dollars it would recover. I just moved from AIG to Global last spring and Iíd hate to have a small value claim impact my renewal.

WiFi cameras and monitoring is not an option. Very poor coverage at my hangar. I will check into a trail camera and see what they cost.

I hate thieves and am beginning to think pawn shops are a big part of the problem too! With out a ready buyer this type of theft would be less prevalent.
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Aerotronics panel with Dual GRT Horizon WS, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level, Electric trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to WS, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, New TS Flightline hoses, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 09-29-2020, 09:30 AM

eBay and craigslist are the modern fences. Our airport just had 3 430ís stolen last week at the flight school. We can all do our part by asking questions when purchasing avionics or equipment. If the price is to good to be true itís probably stolen.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:48 AM

Great advice all around. We have cameras, motion detector lights and a couple of dogs. The idea of signs are great as well as a current inventory of items. Please document your items with videos or photos.

Truly, if someone wants to get in they will. Hope for the best and plan for the worst is all you can do.

I am sorry this happen.
www.sfsportaviation.com
Old 09-29-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
My home is almost an hourís drive to the El Reno Airport.
Sorry to hear about your tools.

I wonder if the burglars spotted your hangar at the fly in a few weeks back?
Old 09-29-2020, 11:34 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss.

There is a company called Wyze that sells a cheap camera that has a SIM card for data. I donít have any experience with that particular model, but it is cheap enough you might give it a try. Their WiFi model works very well.

N626JA
RV-7A at CXP
Flying!
Old 09-29-2020, 02:56 PM

I have a Verizon MiFi and a Ring camera at the hangar. It works pretty good. I half to throw a towel over it when Iím there working or it constantly sends alerts about hangar activity.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:08 PM

You folks with hangers that have internet available and allow you to change or add additional door locks are fortunate. We have no internet where I am at and the door locks are what management supplies. They want access to your hanger 24/7 for various reasons. I have been thinking about installing an outside security camera, and then a hidden one inside. The outside one MIGHT deter a thief, but if it doesn't, the one inside may capture an image of him/her. Our power gate to the hanger area has been so problematic that its now left in the open position. My hanger rent is so cheap that I do not complain.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2020
Old 09-29-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GT View Post
You folks with hangers that have internet available and allow you to change or add additional door locks are fortunate. We have no internet where I am at and the door locks are what management supplies. They want access to your hanger 24/7 for various reasons. I have been thinking about installing an outside security camera, and then a hidden one inside. The outside one MIGHT deter a thief, but if it doesn't, the one inside may capture an image of him/her. Our power gate to the hanger area has been so problematic that its now left in the open position. My hanger rent is so cheap that I do not complain.
My MiFi from Verizon costs about $20/month which provides WiFi service within the hangar. My Ring camera service is bundled in the alarm service at the house, so it doesnít have an additional service fee. It sits in the back of the hangar and has a clear view of the door. Even if the thief steals the camera, their photo is already stored in the cloud by the time they get to the back of the hangar.

Actually my primary reason was to let me know when anyone from the city or airport staff enters the hangar when Iím not around.

I can get a view from my cell, ipad, tv, echo show, and several other devices. It wonít stop a theft, but the police will appreciate the video you can provide. Although the ring camera does have two way audio. Yelling remotely might scare a thief off.

I also use an Amazon power plug to turn on and off my engine heater remotely via the MiFi too. It works pretty good. I like it much better than a Switchbox, which the 4G version gave me nothing but issues.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the info Bob. I will look into the Verizon MiFi for sure. I am getting paranoid that someone is going to clean me out one day. Lots of meth heads in the county I hanger at, and the airport is in city limits where a lot of them live. All the years I have hangered and the amount of time I spend there, I only seen a PO cruise by once checking things out. If we had an airport in the city I worked for, I would have set up a mini precinct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
My MiFi from Verizon costs about $20/month which provides WiFi service within the hangar. My Ring camera service is bundled in the alarm service at the house, so it doesnít have an additional service fee. It sits in the back of the hangar and has a clear view of the door. Even if the thief steals the camera, their photo is already stored in the cloud by the time they get to the back of the hangar.

Actually my primary reason was to let me know when anyone from the city or airport staff enters the hangar when Iím not around.

I can get a view from my cell, ipad, tv, echo show, and several other devices. It wonít stop a theft, but the police will appreciate the video you can provide. Although the ring camera does have two way audio. Yelling remotely might scare a thief off.

I also use an Amazon power plug to turn on and off my engine heater remotely via the MiFi too. It works pretty good. I like it much better than a Switchbox, which the 4G version gave me nothing but issues.
thank
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2020
Old 09-29-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
eBay and craigslist are the modern fences. Our airport just had 3 430ís stolen last week at the flight school. We can all do our part by asking questions when purchasing avionics or equipment. If the price is to good to be true itís probably stolen.
I remember years ago talking to a radio shop owner once. To give you an idea how long ago it was, the Bendix/King Silver Crown radios were just becoming all the rage. Anyway, the guy at the radio shop told the story where a thief had gone to aircraft A, stolen the radios by slipping them out of the rack, then walked over to aircraft B that had the same radios and replaced the aircraft B radios with the stolen radios from aircraft A. Owner of aircraft A reports stolen radios while Owner of aircraft B has no clue something is amiss. Thief sells aircraft B radios and everything looks OK because the actual owner of the radios hasn't reported them as stolen. It was only discovered when the owner of aircraft B had some radio work done and when they pulled the units from the racks the N number for aircraft A was written on the radio cases. Since they were all form the same field they started to figure it out.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved