-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:27 PM

Since SureFly is set up for Slick caps and harness it would require adapting either the leads or the sparkplug caps to automotive style. Remember SureFly is towing the line for type certified aircraft. In the case of my Husky I kept the Slick harness and massive electrode plugs as changes were not allowed under the STC.

Last edited by jliltd : 05-18-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:10 PM

Removed my Slick I/C left mag and installed a Surefly EIS in my 7A ,(0-375), this weekend . Fairly easy job, but took some time due to tight working space; (however, installing the gear cotter pin was no picnic!) After correcting a dumb error on my part, got the timing set correctly and the engine is now running great.... very quick on starting. I also installed a new harness and spark plugs. I have a three blade Catto prop and have not have any kick back issues, ( timing is set at TDC #1 as per instructions).
First flight test should be Wed.....

Walt Hastings
RV -6A (N79WH) builder 1998/ Sold 2004
RV-7A (N57LW) purchased 2020
Old 06-22-2020, 04:26 PM

Location: Bay Pines, FL, building in Andrews, NC (new base @ KRHP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvator97 View Post
Removed my Slick I/C left mag and installed a Surefly EIS in my 7A ,(0-375), this weekend . Fairly easy job, but took some time due to tight working space; (however, installing the gear cotter pin was no picnic!) After correcting a dumb error on my part, got the timing set correctly and the engine is now running great.... very quick on starting. I also installed a new harness and spark plugs. I have a three blade Catto prop and have not have any kick back issues, ( timing is set at TDC #1 as per instructions).
First flight test should be Wed.....
I'll be watching your flight tests, as I was the one that returned my Surefly while swinging a catto 3-blade and having kickbacks. This was prior to others suggesting a timing retard to correct it. My kickbacks were numerous & is why I returned it. On a cross country last month, my starter failed & I will be replacing next week. I suspect my starter failure is related to my prior kickbacks.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
The Skyview does get tach info from the right Slick mag just fine. Not sure this is a problem that warrants $160 and an install of the tach board.
FWIW.......Not flying yet, but do have SureFly on left and Slick mag on right of an IO-540. I chose to have my tach sensor run off Slick, not the SureFly. Was advised this was a good way to go because, in the event of a total electrical failure, you can still have RPM readings from slick mag even if Surefly is not powered up. I was told if I rely on SureFly for tach sensor, and power to it fails, I'd loose RPM readings.
Donation Happily Made 2021
Old 06-22-2020, 05:08 PM

Default Surefly tach

The reason for having a working tach, in my mind, is that it helps with the Mag check. When I do a mag check I am checking both sides and seeing if there is a large difference between both, although I have never had an issue I have seen the gap spread at runup and that told me it was time to do a retiming. With Surefly if you have no RPM and your Mag goes, than you have no tach reading and you need to fly it by "ear". You want that Tach connected to both the Mag and the Surefly for a mag check and mag or Surefly failure. There is a reason why Skyview has two connections- for two Mags or one EI and one MAG. Use them both is what I would plan for.

Last edited by ReidVaitor : 06-22-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:38 PM

I also have one mag (left) and a Surefly. My Tach sensor for my Advanced EFIS
is on the magneto. Even if the mag fails, you will still get a tach reading
as long as the mag shaft is turning (if it isn't, you have bigger problems).
I don't lose tach readings during mag checks.
RV-6, sold, 820 hrs of fun.

Last edited by Chino Tom : 06-22-2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:38 PM

As both of my mags were wired to Dynon EMS via P leads, sounds like I need to either get the Surefly tach board , OR install a magnetic pickup tach sender in the remaining slick mag. This tach sender would be connected to left side tach input on Dynon EMS, ( per Dynon install instructions). As Tom said, as long as mag is turning, tach info will be sent. This would solve the run up check issue as I would not lose rpm info when running on Surefly alone.

Walt Hastings
Old 06-22-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
As both of my mags were wired to Dynon EMS via P leads, sounds like I need to either get the Surefly tach board , OR install a magnetic pickup tach sender in the remaining slick mag. This tach sender would be connected to left side tach input on Dynon EMS, ( per Dynon install instructions). As Tom said, as long as mag is turning, tach info will be sent. This would solve the run up check issue as I would not lose rpm info when running on Surefly alone.
I installed a Surefly a month ago replacing the left impulse mag and yes I have no tach reading on my Skyview during mag checks when on the Surefly. I am ok with this as I can hear the engine rpm during runup and during normal operation the tach reading from my right mag is OK. No need in my opinion to spend time or money to fix this minor issue.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Good point Steve.....BTW: Do you notice/ hear ANY drop in rpm when you do run up and turn switch from Both to Surefly only?

Walt Hastings
Old 06-22-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Good point Steve.....BTW: Do you notice/ hear ANY drop in rpm when you do run up and turn switch from Both to Surefly only?
From what I hear during runup is that the rpm drop is less on the Surefly versus the right mag. The rpm drop on the mag is about 70 rpm. There is a drop on the Surefly but less. I am comfortable with it. It appears to start better but to be honest I was not having starting issues prior to the Surefly installation. I currently have the Surefly set for fixed timing.