-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:33 PM

I would think that something between the -9 and -10 would make more sense for Vans. A sporty four-seater with the back seats more sized for a pair of children (or small wives) rather than chubby blokes. Powered by an (I)O-360.

Resurrecting an RV-3B
PH-BRR Bowers Fly Baby; Imported and upgraded
PH-MGA Jodel DR1050; Built, with Subaru EJ25
PH-SUM RV-4; Imported and upgraded. Sold my share :-(
PH-EIL RV-4; Imported and upgraded for friend. Sadly crashed
PH-ERD Robin DR300; Built with Subaru EZ30 for friend.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:11 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post

The horror of it all!! Vans....please, hurry up and design a high wing bush plane so that no one has to encounter this nightmare. . My vote is still for an all aluminum, high wing, modern suspension, big tire, tandem, STOL, bush plane. Basically, an affordable, all aluminum, quick build, pop rivet, Carbon Cub.

Mark
While there are a lot of bush planes that are servicing this mission, to my knowledge there are no all aluminum kits. In my opinion this is a untapped market. Design something that will slow way down, doesn?t have to land like a cub but get the stall in the low 40?s. Think long RV 9 wings with big Fowler flaps. Get the cruise above the bush planes out there. 50 Gal. Fuel, easy access doors for tandem seating. Small RV8 baggage up front with spacious baggage in back accessed by a large door. Flush rivets from tip to tail and all aluminum. Powered by 0-360 variants. Something like this that could work in and out of 600? strips would catch a lot of attention IMO
Old 04-05-2019, 02:06 PM

Default rear seats and speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthans View Post
A sporty four-seater with the back seats more sized for a pair of children (or small wives) rather than chubby blokes. Powered by an (I)O-360.
I have had two wives and a kid; 3 kids and camping gear on floors, with plenty of space in the rear seating of my -10. How big are these blokes?

What is missing at Vans is a turbine plane. And I dont mean a -10 with a aftermarket turbine that still goes 200kts (VNE) no I mean a 300kt plus; 5 seater turbine.
It wouldnt be cheap, but like every other Vans plane, worth every penny!
Old 04-05-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N208ET View Post
While there are a lot of bush planes that are servicing this mission, to my knowledge there are no all aluminum kits. In my opinion this is a untapped market. Design something that will slow way down, doesn?t have to land like a cub but get the stall in the low 40?s. Think long RV 9 wings with big Fowler flaps. Get the cruise above the bush planes out there. 50 Gal. Fuel, easy access doors for tandem seating. Small RV8 baggage up front with spacious baggage in back accessed by a large door. Flush rivets from tip to tail and all aluminum. Powered by 0-360 variants. Something like this that could work in and out of 600? strips would catch a lot of attention IMO
There are at least 3 all aluminum 'bushplane' kits I can remember at the moment. The Murphy Super Rebel (now known as a flat engine Moose), the Dream Tundra, and the St Just Cyclone (a Cessna 180 clone).
Old 04-05-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N208ET View Post
While there are a lot of bush planes that are servicing this mission, to my knowledge there are no all aluminum kits. In my opinion this is a untapped market. ...
There are a number of all aluminum kits in the bush plane market.

A friend built and flies a Murphy Super Rebel (Now called a Yukon, I believe). It is massive and can lift a TON!

http://www.murphyair.com/
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 04-05-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
There are at least 3 all aluminum 'bushplane' kits I can remember at the moment. The Murphy Super Rebel (now known as a flat engine Moose), the Dream Tundra, and the St Just Cyclone (a Cessna 180 clone).
BTW, when Murphy showed the 1st Moose at SNF, I begged them for a speed-wing, but they weren't interested. I'd gladly give up 10 kts on the low end for 20kts cruise improvement while retaining that cavernous cabin. Something like a clean, strutless C-210 but with fixed gear.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
BTW, when Murphy showed the 1st Moose at SNF, I begged them for a speed-wing, but they weren't interested. I'd gladly give up 10 kts on the low end for 20kts cruise improvement while retaining that cavernous cabin. Something like a clean, strutless C-210 but with fixed gear.
You are essentially talking about an RV 170/172 that I'm begging Van's for.

There is no need for a Super STOL. The -9 can takeoff in 300' and land in 300'. That is pretty darn good! Even if they extend it to 500' with four people on board, that is pretty darn good.

I just hope if that is what the -15 becomes, that it doesn't require the IO-390 or IO-540! In my mind, it should be designed to accept the same range of engines as the -7; 150 to 200 hp four cylinder Lycomings.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 04-06-2019, 10:52 AM

Default RV-15....BD-4??

For those of you wishing for a fast, high wing, four seater RV-15 and not for a low and slow two seat tandem (like I?m hoping for), have you ever look at the BD-4? I looked at them at S-n-F this week and It looked like a viable option.

Mark
Old 04-06-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
For those of you wishing for a fast, high wing, four seater RV-15 and not for a low and slow two seat tandem (like I’m hoping for), have you ever look at the BD-4? I looked at them at S-n-F this week and It looked like a viable option.
I looked at it too. Ugly as sin and a questionable business model for the company.

The Glasair Sportsman is a good looking high-wing four-place. Mixed construction - main fuselage (through the VS) is composite over steel structure. Rudder, elevator, and wings are aluminum similar to an RV. Also very versatile - convertible from conventional to tricycle or even floats. Seating is more 2+2 than true four seater. Controls are all cable, which I'm not a huge fan of. Also would prefer a yoke because climbing into the seat and then getting a leg over the stick isn't ideal either.

Last edited by FlyingDiver : 04-06-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I looked at it too. Ugly as sin and a questionable business model for the company.
Yeah, it?s definitely ugly as sin! LOL!! I don?t know anything about the company or it?s viability either, but this ?type? of aircraft appears to be what some people are hoping for. I know that everyone has different criteria on their wish-list...from wild to mild, but this thread has drifted quite a bit from when Doug first started it and his desire for a ?simple low and slow? which would allow some back country exploration. I?ll continue to stick with my original wish-list design of an all aluminum, pop rivet, quick build, tandem, two door, big tire, modern suspension, high gross weigh, amphib adaptable, multi engine accessible/adaptable, STOL capable, AFFORDABLE,......RV-15. As nice as it would be to have a four seater high wing bush plane, I think that the affordability aspect really becomes the main issue. Personally, about $125k (maybe $150k tops) is my cutoff limit....but all of this is just my dumb opinion.

Mark