VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #421  
Old 03-30-2019, 02:33 PM
Lufthans's Avatar
Lufthans Lufthans is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Hilversum, The Netherlands
Posts: 158
Default

I would think that something between the -9 and -10 would make more sense for Vans. A sporty four-seater with the back seats more sized for a pair of children (or small wives) rather than chubby blokes. Powered by an (I)O-360.
__________________
Hans Teijgeler
Hilversum, The Netherlands


Resurrecting an RV-3B
PH-BRR Bowers Fly Baby; Imported and upgraded
PH-MGA Jodel DR1050; Built, with Subaru EJ25
PH-SUM RV-4; Imported and upgraded. Sold my share :-(
PH-EIL RV-4; Imported and upgraded for friend. Sadly crashed
PH-ERD Robin DR300; Built with Subaru EZ30 for friend.
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 03-30-2019, 06:11 PM
N208ET N208ET is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Helens OR
Posts: 429
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post


The horror of it all!! Vans....please, hurry up and design a high wing bush plane so that no one has to encounter this nightmare. . My vote is still for an all aluminum, high wing, modern suspension, big tire, tandem, STOL, bush plane. Basically, an affordable, all aluminum, quick build, pop rivet, Carbon Cub.

Mark
While there are a lot of bush planes that are servicing this mission, to my knowledge there are no all aluminum kits. In my opinion this is a untapped market. Design something that will slow way down, doesn?t have to land like a cub but get the stall in the low 40?s. Think long RV 9 wings with big Fowler flaps. Get the cruise above the bush planes out there. 50 Gal. Fuel, easy access doors for tandem seating. Small RV8 baggage up front with spacious baggage in back accessed by a large door. Flush rivets from tip to tail and all aluminum. Powered by 0-360 variants. Something like this that could work in and out of 600? strips would catch a lot of attention IMO
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 04-05-2019, 02:06 PM
ReidVaitor ReidVaitor is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 179
Default rear seats and speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthans View Post
A sporty four-seater with the back seats more sized for a pair of children (or small wives) rather than chubby blokes. Powered by an (I)O-360.
I have had two wives and a kid; 3 kids and camping gear on floors, with plenty of space in the rear seating of my -10. How big are these blokes?

What is missing at Vans is a turbine plane. And I dont mean a -10 with a aftermarket turbine that still goes 200kts (VNE) no I mean a 300kt plus; 5 seater turbine.
It wouldnt be cheap, but like every other Vans plane, worth every penny!
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 04-05-2019, 03:07 PM
rv7charlie rv7charlie is online now
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pocahontas MS
Posts: 3,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N208ET View Post
While there are a lot of bush planes that are servicing this mission, to my knowledge there are no all aluminum kits. In my opinion this is a untapped market. Design something that will slow way down, doesn?t have to land like a cub but get the stall in the low 40?s. Think long RV 9 wings with big Fowler flaps. Get the cruise above the bush planes out there. 50 Gal. Fuel, easy access doors for tandem seating. Small RV8 baggage up front with spacious baggage in back accessed by a large door. Flush rivets from tip to tail and all aluminum. Powered by 0-360 variants. Something like this that could work in and out of 600? strips would catch a lot of attention IMO
There are at least 3 all aluminum 'bushplane' kits I can remember at the moment. The Murphy Super Rebel (now known as a flat engine Moose), the Dream Tundra, and the St Just Cyclone (a Cessna 180 clone).
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 04-05-2019, 03:28 PM
N941WR's Avatar
N941WR N941WR is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 12,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N208ET View Post
While there are a lot of bush planes that are servicing this mission, to my knowledge there are no all aluminum kits. In my opinion this is a untapped market. ...
There are a number of all aluminum kits in the bush plane market.

A friend built and flies a Murphy Super Rebel (Now called a Yukon, I believe). It is massive and can lift a TON!

http://www.murphyair.com/
__________________
Bill R.
RV-9 (Yes, it's a dragon tail)
O-360 w/ dual P-mags
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 04-05-2019, 03:35 PM
rv7charlie rv7charlie is online now
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pocahontas MS
Posts: 3,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
There are at least 3 all aluminum 'bushplane' kits I can remember at the moment. The Murphy Super Rebel (now known as a flat engine Moose), the Dream Tundra, and the St Just Cyclone (a Cessna 180 clone).
BTW, when Murphy showed the 1st Moose at SNF, I begged them for a speed-wing, but they weren't interested. I'd gladly give up 10 kts on the low end for 20kts cruise improvement while retaining that cavernous cabin. Something like a clean, strutless C-210 but with fixed gear.
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 04-05-2019, 06:37 PM
N941WR's Avatar
N941WR N941WR is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 12,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
BTW, when Murphy showed the 1st Moose at SNF, I begged them for a speed-wing, but they weren't interested. I'd gladly give up 10 kts on the low end for 20kts cruise improvement while retaining that cavernous cabin. Something like a clean, strutless C-210 but with fixed gear.
You are essentially talking about an RV 170/172 that I'm begging Van's for.

There is no need for a Super STOL. The -9 can takeoff in 300' and land in 300'. That is pretty darn good! Even if they extend it to 500' with four people on board, that is pretty darn good.

I just hope if that is what the -15 becomes, that it doesn't require the IO-390 or IO-540! In my mind, it should be designed to accept the same range of engines as the -7; 150 to 200 hp four cylinder Lycomings.
__________________
Bill R.
RV-9 (Yes, it's a dragon tail)
O-360 w/ dual P-mags
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 04-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Mark33's Avatar
Mark33 Mark33 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 754
Default RV-15....BD-4??

For those of you wishing for a fast, high wing, four seater RV-15 and not for a low and slow two seat tandem (like I?m hoping for), have you ever look at the BD-4? I looked at them at S-n-F this week and It looked like a viable option.

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 04-06-2019, 11:24 AM
FlyingDiver FlyingDiver is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
For those of you wishing for a fast, high wing, four seater RV-15 and not for a low and slow two seat tandem (like I’m hoping for), have you ever look at the BD-4? I looked at them at S-n-F this week and It looked like a viable option.
I looked at it too. Ugly as sin and a questionable business model for the company.

The Glasair Sportsman is a good looking high-wing four-place. Mixed construction - main fuselage (through the VS) is composite over steel structure. Rudder, elevator, and wings are aluminum similar to an RV. Also very versatile - convertible from conventional to tricycle or even floats. Seating is more 2+2 than true four seater. Controls are all cable, which I'm not a huge fan of. Also would prefer a yoke because climbing into the seat and then getting a leg over the stick isn't ideal either.
__________________
2019 Donation Paid
Investigating building an RV-10 or maybe an RV-14. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by FlyingDiver : 04-06-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 04-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Mark33's Avatar
Mark33 Mark33 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I looked at it too. Ugly as sin and a questionable business model for the company.
Yeah, it?s definitely ugly as sin! LOL!! I don?t know anything about the company or it?s viability either, but this ?type? of aircraft appears to be what some people are hoping for. I know that everyone has different criteria on their wish-list...from wild to mild, but this thread has drifted quite a bit from when Doug first started it and his desire for a ?simple low and slow? which would allow some back country exploration. I?ll continue to stick with my original wish-list design of an all aluminum, pop rivet, quick build, tandem, two door, big tire, modern suspension, high gross weigh, amphib adaptable, multi engine accessible/adaptable, STOL capable, AFFORDABLE,......RV-15. As nice as it would be to have a four seater high wing bush plane, I think that the affordability aspect really becomes the main issue. Personally, about $125k (maybe $150k tops) is my cutoff limit....but all of this is just my dumb opinion.

Mark
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.