Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2019, 11:19 AM

Just another data point. My Desser retreads were heavier and slightly larger. They required some balancing but not excessive. I flipped the tires at mid-tread and are still using them. I'm happy with them.

I got 265 landings on the original tires that came with the kit. I'm at 716 on the retreads and counting.
EAA #51411
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015; 700 hrs as of 02/2020
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project; first flight 05/18/2019
SPA Panther N26TK; First Flight 03/13/2020
Old 01-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Default data point

Operating a family flight school over the years, we used the Desser retread exclusively. Never had an issue with balance or defects.

I can tell you that the retreads lasted nearly twice as long as the name brands...

Just another data point...

RV-10
Phase I as of 12-02-2020

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-23-2019, 01:58 PM

I just tried to buy some Monster Retreads from Desser last week. I was told there would be around a 90 day delay as they didn't have the treads in stock. Ended up buying the cheap tires to get me through as I need new tires on NOW! Disappointing. Cheap tires cost more than the retreads! I'll get some Monsters on order soon.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:39 PM

Default There is a better option

Following the threads I purchased Wilkerson tires- at $60 a tire I figured worst case scenario I replace next year. When I called Wilkerson to ask if the tires needed to be balanced, they sent me to a tech guy who spent 30 minutes patiently telling me how to find out in detail, but "probably" not as the tires come balanced. I verified and they sure seem pretty well balanced 'As-is"
I am installing the tires presently- but will give a review in the future- my Desser's became warped and totally out of balance in 1 year- I tossed them and figure its worth trying a different retread.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:50 PM

First time i've hear negative feedback on the Dessers. I bought mine 3 years and they are not even 1/2 worn yet. I would say its more like 1/4 worn. I love them for the price.
RV-10 - Sold

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 02-17-2019, 12:27 PM

I've used Desser Retreads for many years on all of my airplanes and have never had an issue with them, in balance, wear or anything. I highly endorse them.

If you can get them, the Monster's are the best and, as others have said, tend to last a lot longer than OEM brands.

I personally find I get about 50% more landings with them. I was averaging about 300 landings on Custom III's, but about 450 on the Monsters on my Baron. I expect my smaller and much lighter RV will go many more landings by comparison.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Monster problems

From my viewpoint I think "inconsistent" might be a good description of the Monster retreads. Some pilots have good experiences and some not so good.
Never had to balance a tire prior to purchasing these tires. I had to put 1 3/4 oz on one and 3 1/2 oz on the other.
So yes, I'll probably get more landings on this set of tires, but don't forget to include the possible cost of balancing into the total cost of the tires.

Additionally, Desser didn't seem interested in talking about my problems with vibration. Won't buy them again.
RV8 N37PK

Last edited by SMRacer : 02-17-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:11 PM

Default Tough tires

I used the Desser Monster Retread tires on my trip around the world last summer. I chose them because of the thickness of tread and perceived durability when heavily loaded with a massive amount of fuel on board (think 127 g). I added about 1/2 oz of weights to balance the tires. They did not let me down once.

Last edited by intothinair : 02-17-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:42 PM

Default Balancing tires

When you guys talk about balancing the tires, is that static balance or dynamic balance? I have not been able to get a shop that could do a dynamic balance. Maybe it is not needed!!
Just curious.
Thanks.
Johan