What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA pitot rib holes

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Before I close-up the wing on my RV-9 I want to drill some 3/8" holes in the wing ribs to run a second pitot line for AOA. I'd rather not use the tooling hole (A) next to the airspeed pitot. In the below photo VANs recommends location D for up to a 3/4" conduit hole. What about locations B and C? Any opinions?

Thanks

Ribholes.jpg

Try doing a search, this comes up from time-to-time.

Here's where I put mine:

(Click to enlarge)

Also, check out the 8/18/05 entry on my wing page for a handy tip for locating those holes.

Thanks

Guys - Bill, I had seen your pics. My preference (for a variety of reasons) is location B - in the middle of that corner triangle. Any reason NOT to put a 3/8" hole there?

Hi Tom,
I found this pdf on Vans site that describes the kinds and places where you can drill holes in wing ribs. I found this after I bought the conduit. Since I'm putting conduit in anyway, I'm going to run my AOA tubing in there with my lighting wires.

Outside of the guidelines in the pdf, you might want to ask them if your location would be safe.

Good idea

Thanks Gil - I ran a 3/4" DWV tube for a conduit. Maybe I'll run my pitot line through there.

There is an option I haven't seen yet, and that is to make the one hole large enough to run both lines through it.

Good Idea

There is an option I haven't seen yet, and that is to make the one hole large enough to run both lines through it.

I saw pictures on someone's build site that had done this, but I don't remember where. Van's wing wiring PDF says you can enlarge the tooling holes to 5/8" (.625"). Van's then suggests inserting SB625-7 plastic bushings that have an 11/16" ID. But Van's also sells SB625-8 plastic bushings. Same 5/8" hole, but with a 1/2" ID. Two 1/4" plastic hoses for the Pitot/AOA should fit right through this bushing.

Can anyone think of a reason doing this might not be such a good idea?

Back