What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 main spar nutplates

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
Hey folks,
Got the wing kit in day before yesterday and with all the stuff going on inventory has taken a full day.

My question is.
When machine countersinking the #8 screws that hold the fuel and leading edge skins to the spar we need to counter sink the spar deeper than the number 8 screw to allow for the skin dimple to set into the countersink also.. Is this correct. same for the inspection plate 6 screws for the spars. Did you make a sample of the skin out of some scrap .025 material to estimate the depth that the Number 8 screw has to be to pull the skin down or did you just set the screw below flush on the spar?

Did you spot prime the spar before you put the nut plates on?

What size dimple do you need to use for a #8 screw... I had better order one or find someone around here with a dimple set that big.

thanks guys and gals.

Smilin' Jack

I have solved the problem

Well folks I primed the countersinks on the spar and then put the nutplates on. then Primed it again.. but what a waste of time.
On the left I spot primed using primer sprayed in to the lid and a Q tip to spot prime the areas where the anodizing was removed. This is twice as fast and allows you to make some time doing all this.

Pictures on the webshots web site follow link below. Click on page 18 to get to these photos...
Thks
Smilin' Jack
Finished the tiedowns today with the Alieron bellcranks in.... :)
http://rides.webshots.com/album/579665919lGvLyE?vhost=rides

BKTHOMPS
Thank, I know I am like a lot of guys but having a hard time getting to the computer all the time during the construction... I know it would be very helpful to have it all printed out in step by step construction.

Were working at it.

Smilin' Jack

BKTHOMPS
Thank, I know I am like a lot of guys but having a hard time getting to the computer all the time during the construction... I know it would be very helpful to have it all printed out in step by step construction.

Were working at it.

Smilin' Jack

Understood, I think your best bet is to actually read ahead on these blogs BEFORE you start that portion of construction, don't look for answers to problems as you encounter them, learn from the mistakes of others and try to anticipate hurdles...the wing kit is a lot more straight forward than the fuselage kit where you're pretty much left to decide how to do certain things

reading ahead is going to be your best bet, it also lets you plan for additional materials/tools you may need

BKTHOMPS

Were working at it.

Smilin' Jack
My first post, so I hope I get this right . . .
As I've worked on my empennage I've had many questions answered by searching the older threads for answers. That and talking with my EAA brothers and other builders face-to-face got me through the process, and now I'm about to start construction on the wings.

Perhaps I'm too much of a newbie, but I find it interesting to read about how others are solving issues I think I already addressed (or not). I must admit it's actually thrilling to me to see new posts from builders slightly ahead of or at the same place as I am. It certainly doesn't replace proper research, but it's satisfying to know I'm not the only one looking for solutions to the problems I face right now.

In spite of my research, I've had the same concern about the wing spar countersinking. I appreciate the new posts on the eternal questions.

Back