What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Use of Semco potting gun for fuel tank assembly

KazooRV-9A

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone used one of these guns for running the sealant bead for the long back plate on the fuel tank? I'm building a 9A and it seems like this would be a great way to run the long bead of sealant vs. trying to squeeze it out of a baggie like the instructions show..

Comments on how it's been done?

Andy C.

DSC00067_zpsuh3dtpgw.jpg

I used one, bought the empty cartriges from brown tool I think, I used the 1/16 nossle mostly and the 1/8 on the baffle. Worked great, the handle can be removed to expose the paddle for tight spots if needed. I also recommend making a 10:1 balance for mixing, weighing such small amounts proved to be difficult especially when my scale kept timing out and resseting to zero, the balance turned out to be extremely accurate.

If I had one, I would certainly use it for more consistent beads, less mess, cleaner hands, colder beer (the list goes on!).

I used a Semco gun exclusively for all my ProSealing. I ordered the pre-proportioned cartridges from Vans. These were great! Because everything is pre-proportioned, there's no chance of messing that up. Plus there's a lot less mess, in my opinion. Because the gun is pneumatic, you don't get air bubbles in your proseal and it can lay down whatever kind of bead you want, fast or slow. Just cut the cartridge tip to the size bead you want.

Syringe

Save some cash. Go to the pharmacy. Buy a few of the huge liquid nourishment syringes. The tip is perfect. If you don't have the grip strength, cut off the thumb loop and drop it into a caulking gun.

I haven't used one on an RV. But, we used to use them all the time for fay-sealing access panels on Navy jets. Make sure you don't cut the tips too large. Buy extra tips and experiment a little till you get the bead just the right size. When you set the gun down, disconnect it from the air hose.

I have one and it works great. Used it on my second tank which turned out much neater looking than the first. One thing to keep in mind though is that like a spray gun for paint there is additional prep and cleanup to do. The results made the effort worth it for me.

Proseal does not stick to the plastic tubes. Let it set up then you can pull it out. The rest of the gun needs MEK but that doesn't take long to clean.

Push the easy button!

I purchased used gun from Brown Tool a while back and just used it this afternoon to install the tank end plate and fuel level sensor. Push the easy button! :D I have used the fill-a-west-caulking-tube before and it worked well, but the force needed to issue a fine, accurate bead was hard (1/16" tip). With the Semco/PPG it was so easy. Air control of a nice rivet gun. I have put the left over in the freezer and shall do the other tank plate in a couple of days.

Speaking of which.....

I used a Semco gun exclusively for all my ProSealing. I ordered the pre-proportioned cartridges from Vans. These were great! Because everything is pre-proportioned, there's no chance of messing that up. Plus there's a lot less mess, in my opinion. Because the gun is pneumatic, you don't get air bubbles in your proseal and it can lay down whatever kind of bead you want, fast or slow. Just cut the cartridge tip to the size bead you want.

Do you still have it Mike? I'm still planning to use it someday, when I get out of leading edge he**.......

Cartridges

If you buy the empty cartridges and nozzles they can be reused multiple times. Let the pro seal set up in the cartridge a day or so and the extra can be pushed out after it sets up. Any residue will come right off the inside of the slick disposable cartridge and it is ready to use again. I think I used some of them 4 or 5 times. Same with the nozzles.

Me too

I used one as well. It worked great. I don't recall how wide I cut the tip. I think the opening was just over an eighth of an inch.

Back