What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cable Run Pictures Request

David Lewis

Well Known Member
Can anyone point me to pictures of proper wire runs from empennage electrical devices (strobe and trim) through the aft fuselage? My search here has turned up a number of descriptions and approaches, but no informative visuals. AC43.13-1b has examples of how to use MS21919 clamps and I'm looking for ideas on where to place them on the structure. I have the plastic bushings in the lower bulkheads, but I'm unclear on whether it is OK to leave the cables suspended over or on the floor between bulkheads.

I used cable cradles with tie wraps glued down to the belly skin with proseal.

IMG_3907-M.jpg

They have held up just fine.

I wondered the same thing. My fuse was oil canning between the two bulkheads Bruce shows and I added a stiffener there, so took the opportunity to add a small tower to bridge that gap. Yes, attaching down to the skin with a dab of proseal seems satisfying and will prevent slapping ( and/or pulling) from chop.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the guidance.
Bruce . . . Looks good. What was your source for the cradles? Aviation aisle or a specialty vendor?

Last edited:
I found them at Pacific Radio here in LA. 100 is way more than I'm going to need for this project, but the price is right. Thanks.

Cradles

You might want to search a little for the cradles. I found the smaller ones will fit better in many places to keep the bundle snug to the walls - like in the tunnel.

Also, I took mine and soaked them in some lighter fluid to remove the self adhesive and used either proseal or automotive windshield urethane adhesive to attach them. A few were pop riveted as the center holes are good for that when it allows (tunnel) and you want to move on that day. I absolutely did not want these coming loose when run with the control tubes.

Happy wiring.

Yes, I agree. There are a variety of mount styles available. I evaluated quite a few. I decided on the small saddle shaped ones. There is no adhesive to remove. I'm going to rough up their underside and ProSeal them to the bottom skin between bulkheads. They have centered recessed holes as well, so I have the option to attach with a screw when it's appropriate. I am not certain, but these appear to be what Bruce has in his picture.

Don't see why these wouldn't work, but please let me know if there is something else I should consider. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Back