What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ford's museums

flyinlee

Guys and Dolls,
Looking to fly in to the Detroit area to go to Ford's museums at the end of the month and then to Oshkosh. Can anyone suggest a friendly general aviation airport to use that would be handy for this visit?

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Lee:)

As far as airports go, I have had no problems with either willow run or Detroit city. But, you still have to get from the airport to the museum, and I would feel much more comfortable taking a wrong turn from willow run than Detroit city. It was amazing to see the blocks of empty businesses and houses just outside city airport. In some cases whole boarded up apartment buildings.

Be warned, one day is not enough for the museum and the village. Sometimes you can also get tours of the ford plant.

+1 on Willow Run

I've had good experiences at Willow Run. Check out the Yankee Air Museum while you are there too!

Ford's museum

Good to know. I may go in there just to get a little farther away from Detroit. I need to find out if cars are available and what kind of drive to the Museums.

Ford's Museums

I'll second the Mettetal suggestion. There are car rentals very nearby and the town of Plymouth is not to be missed . . . Sidewalk cafes, an active town square, and nighttime sports bars. Lots of hotels in the area (look under Plymouth/Livonia/Novi in the guides). Take the Hines Drive route to get to the vicinity of the museums . . . It's literally a 30 mile long curvy park, but moves like a highway. The Ford museums are awesome. You won't be sorry for the visit.

1D2 Plymouth MI airport

Thank You for the recommendation of the 1D2 Plymouth MI airport. We were there for a couple days to tour the Ford Museum and found your airport a wonderful place to park. :) Larry

Back