What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thoughts on build space / sequence

JDBoston

Well Known Member
I was going to post in the RV-14 section but realized this is a more generic question. The RV-14 is what I am talking about with regards to dimensions.

Now that I am starting to see pictures of Fuselage mating with rear fuse/emp as well as some photos of even the entire tail mounted as well I am starting to get concerned about my build space.

I know... You should have thought about that before starting. Well I did, however my enthusiasm to start led me to a plan which I am now starting to get concerned about.

Space:

One bay of a two car garage, but two car garage has wife's car in one side and also two columns in the middle.

My plan was:

- Build Wings completely, move them somewhere else (another garage 100 miles away)

- Build tail, tailcone (aka rear fuse). Already have the kit, finishing wings first

- Purchase Fuselage kit, and build it independently

now the issue.

I want to be able to do as much as possible in my garage vs having to do basics at final assembly.

From what I can tell the length of the Tail up to the tip of the spinner is 21 feet (from drawings). I just calculated the diagonal length of my space and it is roughly 18-19 ft.

For those that are building in smaller spaces have you thought out a plan on assembly?

What I think will happen for me is mating the tail minus control surfaces/Fuse//fw forward minus prop at home, but I may not have space.

Some experience from others would be helpful. I will continue to look at builder logs from other aircraft as well.

How did YOU do it?

Maybe not a direct comparison but might help a bit...

I built the -8 in a single car garage, the fuselage is 21' long from the back of the rudder to the front of the spinner.

I built tail and wings first and stored in our rec room.

The fuselage without the engine is probably 4-5' shorter. I built the fuselage and fitted the tail, then removed the elevator and rudder.

The fuselage then could be rolled back to fit the engine...

It took a little planning, and a few more miles walking around only one end of the airframe, but it worked out fine...

Have fun with your build...

Small shop sequence . . .

RVs have been built is very small shops. I believe Jerry Thorne built his RV-9a in a single car garage attached to his apartment. He documented his build on a website. I have seen pictures of someone building in a very small shop in Great Britain.

I am currently building an RV-9 in a one and a half car garage and so far my wife is able to park there nearly every night. I did a lot of thinking and measuring before starting airplane construction. If you own the garage, you might be able to make some changes that can help. I added a bay window addition and removed most of the wall between the work area and parking area of my garage. Maybe you can remove the columns in your garage. My C-frame, sander and grinder are on a rolling work bench that fits in the bay window alcove. All benches, drill press, etc are move-able. Can you put your compressor outside of the garage? It also helps greatly if you are tidy and clean up after each work session.

I built the tail, then wings (one at a time), and like you I moved them to another site (airport) when they were complete. I am now working on the fuselage and am just about to "roll the canoe." I believe I can finish most of the interior, canopy, and outer fuselage up to the point of installing the engine and tail-feathers before I tell the wife she has to start parking on the street. Fitting the wings and completion will take place at the airport.

Good luck with your airplane!!

You've got tons of room! Here's my S-10 I built in my dad's small 'slightly crowded' garage...

I built the entire airplane here. Paint was done in a separate warehouse, but all building was done in that little garage.

Last edited:
You've got tons of room! Here's my S-10 I built in my dad's small 'slightly crowded' garage...

I built the entire airplane here. Paint was done in a separate warehouse, but all building was done in that little garage.

OK now I will stop complaining :) The 14 is a larger beast than that S-10, however I do see the point :)

Back