What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Gasket Leak

Cth6

Well Known Member
At one time there was an exhaust gasket leak on two cylinders. The gaskets were replaced prior to my purchase. What is the best way to clean the white exhaust residue off the cylinder bottom so I can see if the leaks are continuing or if the area was just not cleaned up after the gasket replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Going to skip forward a bit. Drop that riser and look at the gasket seating surface. If it leaked for any length of time, the cylinder surface may have eroded. If so, you’ll probably need to pull that jug and have the surface faced or worse.

Last edited:
Going to skip forward a bit. Drop that riser and look at the gasket seating surface. If it leaked for any length of time, the cylinder surface may have eroded. If so, you’ll probably need to pull that jug and have the surface faced or worse.

Some people install two gaskets back to back - seals better. I would not pull a jug for this.

Some people install two gaskets back to back - seals better. I would not pull a jug for this.

If the cylinder seat has been eroded, the (lack of) surface finish will far exceed anything acceptable to make a seal. More sealing material, talking the extra thick spiral wound style, will not help.

Two stacked metallic exhaust gaskets? It won't seal better. It might mask a misalignment issue. BTW. The additional stress on the exhaust components from the related strain has to go somewhere. No thanks for me.

There are several types of exhaust port resurfacing tools available that will allow you to do the job without removing the cylinder.

Clean up

Thanks all. Right now it is just cleaning up some older blow by to make sure it isn’t leaking going forward. Will try the soap and brake clean.

Back