What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blue Angels colors (not FS code)

s10sakota

Well Known Member
Hello experts!

I am painting my airplane in the Blue Angels C-130 scheme. I am using UTech500 paint which is an automotive paint, but the automotive shops can not convert the FS15052 blue code to something they can mix. They say they need an RAL number, or some other automotive color number.

I know that there are some RV's painted in the Blue Angels colors, does anyone know how/where to convert an FS number to something automotive?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Color matching??

Do they have the ability to color match something already painted? Usually you can get small bottles or cans of this color at hobby shops. Spray it on a sample and you might just get a close representation.

Yes this is my 'back up' plan. I ordered a bottle of paint from eBay but I think it would be better to get an actual code. If I can't then I'll use the paint and then take it to them to color match.

I understand that just about every Blue Angels plane is a slightly different shade anyway, so I think if I get it close it will be good enough LOL

Rans might be able to help

I cant help you with converting the number but I had a Rans S12xl back in 1997 that had the Blue Angel's colors. I painted both the blue and a small area yellow. I named it My Blue Angel. The colors looked right on to me. I got the color numbers from Rans and bought the Dupont paint locally.
You can see it here:
http://www.oocities.org/hester-hoptown/

I understand that just about every Blue Angels plane is a slightly different shade anyway, so I think if I get it close it will be good enough LOL

I have been an RC modeler for 38 years and I have seen Blue Angel models with various shades of the blue. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I think it's the UTech that is the problem.

I have bought DuPont paint from automotive sources to the FS colors. Often they did not have the formula on hand, but soon got it from the factory.

It's a pity the tinting agents aren't identical between brands...:)

Gil I think you might be correct. I called Finish Master today and they can use the FS15052 number to mix up Dupont Nason paint.

Another user posted this pic in another thread here and the shine is amazing.

My neighbor used this Nason paint to paint his Velocity and he is very happy with it so I'll head up to Finish Master tomorrow and talk to them. I just may go with this paint.

Mike,

Yes I've tried every conversion site I could find with Google. I did come across the one you provided the link for, but it can not find the 15052 code.

I did find this site (https://encycolorpedia.com/search?q=15052) which looks like it converted it to something a paint shop could use, but for now I had Finish Master use their scanner on a color chip for the FS15052 code.

I bought a quart of that to practice with (I want it to look as perfect as the red in the picture above) and if the blue looks correct then it they can mix up more of it.

Right now I'm spraying primer but I'm excited to try out the paint!

Have you thought trying to put a call into the BLUE?s? I?m sure someone in their maintenance section should be happy to provide the exact paint codes, as well as brand. Of course, you will want to find it commercially, as the NAVY probably pays thounds of dollars a gallon more, like they do for toilet seats, than we pay at a paint store. Good Luck!

Back