What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Selling from US to Canada how to set up ADS-B

jliltd

Well Known Member
If I sell an aircraft equipped with a GTX 345 into Canada and we de-register it from the US Registry and get new C numbers from Canada for the flight across the border, how to we address the ADS-B identifier?

I assume the ICAO code doesn't change in the transponder but the N number will have to change to a C number. Won't there be a database mismatch prior to a registry update to the GTX database?

Curious.

You don’t get a new C-reg for the cross border flight. You fly it in as an N-reg, THEN you cancel the FAA registration and get your C-reg. When you get your C-reg you will get a new code.

You can’t fly with the C-reg until you get your new C of A which means passing the MD-RA inspection (I am assuming this is a homebuilt). You can’t do that in the US. Go to the MD-RA site and there should be documentation on the importation procedure. Or maybe the COPA site. I did it in 2008 so my memory is s bit dim.

You don’t get a new C-reg for the cross border flight. You fly it in as an N-reg, THEN you cancel the FAA registration and get your C-reg. When you get your C-reg you will get a new code.

You can’t fly with the C-reg until you get your new C of A which means passing the MD-RA inspection (I am assuming this is a homebuilt). You can’t do that in the US. Go to the MD-RA site and there should be documentation on the importation procedure. Or maybe the COPA site. I did it in 2008 so my memory is s bit dim.

This is not completely correct. When I imported my RV-6 it was de-registered in the US, registered in Canada, the marks swapped on the fuselage, and *then* it was flown home. Flight permit from the FAA valid to the border, flight permit from TC valid from the border to the airport where it was going to park until the MD-RA inspection took place.

Both methods work.

Don't forget to recode your ELT and change the emergency contacts in the SAR database.

VV

If I sell an aircraft equipped with a GTX 345 into Canada and we de-register it from the US Registry and get new C numbers from Canada for the flight across the border, how to we address the ADS-B identifier?

I assume the ICAO code doesn't change in the transponder but the N number will have to change to a C number. Won't there be a database mismatch prior to a registry update to the GTX database?

Curious.

Each registration# has a unique HEXCODE (ICAO), so when the N# is cancelled & the C# takes over, the new C# & HEXCODE should be installed in the transponder.

The whole export / delivery process is SO much easier if a qualified US pilot or Cdn with equivalent US licensed pilot can ferry the plane across the border, and the sale hand over / Customs import (taxes...) / de-register / re-register / transponder / ELT / MDRA import process / CofA / insurance... is handled at the destination airport.
Just saying...

Sorry. This isn't an experimental amateur built, but rather a fairly new factory air tanker fire-fighting aircraft. The aircraft is staying in it's hangar in USA until an AWC for the new registered C number is issued by Canada. We sold it and got our money and de-registered the N number as part of that closing. So now once we send a photo of the C number placed on the side then Canada will issue an AWC so the Canadian buyer can come down with the paperwork to pick it up using his Canadian pilot's license. All on the up and up. And all this is his problem really, but I like to help as much as I can.

I just wondered if anything special would be required because as we all know it can take a long time for government databases to be updated and our online registry still shows it N-numbered despite the fact our closing agent went to the registry in person an verified deregistration. And great catch on the ELT.

Jim

If the new owner knows what his new C# will be, you could do a quick search & find what the Hexcode is. (Assuming they started the registration process)
Google - CCAR Quick Search
— pick ‘Civil Aircraft Register - TC - Transport Canada’
—— CCAR - Quick Search
——— scroll down to ‘Mark:’ type in the last 3 or 4 letters of his C# than search
———— the Hex code should be about half way down the page

Back