What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Positioner?

rotoiti

Well Known Member
There is a $225 option on the fuselage kit: ES FLAP POS SWV 10 RV-10 FLAP POSITIONER. Does it make sense to order it with my QuickBuild kit if I intend to go with Vertical Power VP/X which has a positioner built in (supposedly)?

Better flap motor with limit switches and flap position pot.

This is a better flap motor, with limit switches and a built in pot for flap position all for only $124 plus shipping.

http://www.aeicomp.com/Detail.asp?P...eed+1/2"+per+Sec)+w/10K+Ohm+Pot++"IP65+Rated"

You will simply have to modify the end. The outer part of the shaft unscrews out of the unit, put it in a lathe, drill a centered hole and tap for rod end. Nice units and for about one third the price for a motor from Vans.

If you are building, easy to install, but will take a little work to put in a finished plane, but do able.

Brian
Orginal HR II

As the thread jackm references, the VPX supports the standard RAC position sensor (not included with the VPX). The latest software release now supports the reflex position. It also added that you can move from reflex to zero at any speed, where the other settings can still be restricted to slower speeds.

The VPX has many other bells and whistles included saving you from having to purchase other options for your build. Getting familiar with the manual before you make any electrical decisions is a good investment of time.

Bob

Thanks for pointing me to that thread, Jackm. I need to work on my search-foo more.

I have no idea what to expect with a quickbuild fuselage (in regards what's built and what is not and whether the area the positioner is installed is accessible or not). Should I drop it anyway, even if I orderd a quickbuild?

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't real thrilled with the FPS on my last one. The notches on the switch rod aren't just right and it causes a little problem at thirty degrees. Also, you have to hold the switch just a little to make it go to the next position. This is almost half the travel time.

Thanks, Bill. I'm getting pretty close to installing mine, so this was pretty timely.

Another approach/location to mount the position sensor. I think it's a little easier to install than in the tunnel.

FP27012013A00084.jpg

That's a nice set-up Bob. I used something very similar to Bill's. Not flying yet, but after a couple of set-up glitches it seems to be working perfectly on the ground with the FPS Reflex.

The positioner can be installed at any point in the build, even after the plane is flying. If you have the VP, though, there is no need for the FPS. We removed ours when we went with the VP. Other than that, I really like the FPS. I have only had one system that was a little hard to get set right, but other than that, they always seem to work great.

I don't know what Aerhed was seeing. Yes, you have to hold the switch until the rod gets past the notch, but nowhere near half the travel time. The notch is maybe 1/8" and the travel to the next notch is at least 1.5", IIRC. That's hardly half the travel. I wonder if you had it installed crooked or something like that.

Flap positioner for sale

I have a flap positioner kit for sale for the rv10. Bought it with my kit, has not been installed only opened for inspection. $185 us includes shipping within cont. us.

Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi
[email protected]

Jesse, it just annoyed me that if you gave the switch a bump it wouldn't move. So, you have to hold it for a one or two count. It's only about three or four seconds between stops. The switch dropped into the last notch a couple degrees before full flaps. If you bump again it jumps the notch and goes a couple more degrees to full and the motor keeps running. If you rig that notch to match full flaps it messes up the other end and the reflex position. If you were to widen the full flap notch I think it would solve it, but I sold that one before I could try it.

New rv10 kit not compatible with FPS

Hello fellow builders! My RV 10 kit is finally on its way to me. I just received this email from Van’s about the flap positioning switch not being compatible:

“ Dear Builder,

We have recently been advised by Show Planes that their flap position accessory kit, ES FLAP POS SWV 10, is not compatible with the flap motor currently supplied in your RV-10 Fuselage kit.

This option is being deleted from your Fuselage order (value $224)

There is currently no replacement available, and Show Planes has not determined if they will develop a compatible unit.

This is not a necessary item for the aircraft, but we do apologize for any inconvenience.”

ANY HELP OR ASSISTANCE WITH A REPLACEMENT???

VPX or your avionics suite likely provides a similar function depending on what you're planning on.

Hello fellow builders! My RV 10 kit is finally on its way to me. I just received this email from Van’s about the flap positioning switch not being compatible:

“ Dear Builder,

We have recently been advised by Show Planes that their flap position accessory kit, ES FLAP POS SWV 10, is not compatible with the flap motor currently supplied in your RV-10 Fuselage kit.

This option is being deleted from your Fuselage order (value $224)

There is currently no replacement available, and Show Planes has not determined if they will develop a compatible unit.

This is not a necessary item for the aircraft, but we do apologize for any inconvenience.”

ANY HELP OR ASSISTANCE WITH A REPLACEMENT???

SNIP
“ Dear Builder,

SNIP

This is a shame. This flap position system (note - position not position sensor) was an eloquent way to simplify flap operation and wiring. For me it totally eliminated the need for a flap position sensor.

Hopefully Show Planes comes out with a new model compatable with the replacement flap motor.

Carl

The new motor has a position sensor built in. Therefore you can wire it up to your EFIS and do flaps manually or get something like the gad27 to do it automatically. I have non auto electric flaps on the 6 and have never missed having a system to do it automatically even though I have it on the 10. Though I do like the position data displayed on the EFIS so I don't have to look out the window.

Back