What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Float Position

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
The instructions for bending and positioning the Stewart fuel float (RV9A) say that the float should be 1/8" max from the skins at full and empty positions. This feels like the dumbest question of all time, but....

If I make the float sit 1/8" off the bottom skin to where the float is relatively parallel to the skin, when it goes to the "full" position, because of the curve of the skin, the fore portion of the float nearly touches the skin, but the aft portion is probably a good 3/8" or so from the skin. Does it matter? I would think that having it parallel at empty is better than parallel to the upper side of the skin at full, yeah?

With float type level senders, even when they show "full" (all the way up), there's still room for several more gallons of fuel in the tank because of the dihedral of the wing. So yeah, go for relative accuracy when it's close to the bottom, because it won't be anywhere near correct at the top anyway. At least that's the way it was on my RV-7.

Back